Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DerekHelps

Re: Plex saved my Roku

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:20 pm

As some people here know, Im not much of a local media guy, howevver, after playing around with Plex for a little bit, especially the installable channels, I must say, VERY impressed.

Spotify on my Roku! Thank you Plex!
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

mjpm

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Does anyone have some tips on how to add their channels (like CNN)? I go to the Plex Media Center's channel directory and nothing happens.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:18 pm

mjpm wrote:
Does anyone have some tips on how to add their channels (like CNN)? I go to the Plex Media Center's channel directory and nothing happens.

Google Chrome add on called Plex it I believe. You need to have a myPlex account, then your Queue will show up after you link the Roku to your account.

herbertsnow

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 pm

blaze92 wrote:
dellsweig wrote:
blaze92 wrote:
and how can i add a channel where when the url updates, i get the newest video or a list?

Not sure on that one - but for example - I went to the Food Network web page and hit "plex it" and it scoured the web page for all avaiable videos and complete shows. It seems to be always up to date as well.

went to http://www.foodnetwork.com/ and pressed plex it.

says no videos were found...

what gives?

I have the same problem, but it seems to work. No matter what video I use it says that "no video can be found" yet the video shows up on the Plex app. But it only works on a few sites. I think I'll just use it for youtube.

mjpm

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm

philsoft wrote:
mjpm wrote:

Google Chrome add on called Plex it I believe. You need to have a myPlex account, then your Queue will show up after you link the Roku to your account.

Thanks! I figured it out with your help. What a wealth of content!
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.

Matt9876

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 am

I like PLEX on the Roku and my Windows 7 based server. :)

I can see my Itunes song collection but they don't play, Am I missing something or are they still working on that function?
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV

scyber

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 am

Matt9876 wrote:
I like PLEX on the Roku and my Windows 7 based server. :)

I can see my Itunes song collection but they don't play, Am I missing something or are they still working on that function?

This issue is being discussed here:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/top ... wont-play/

The gist is that the itunes channel does not properly report the audio codec, so Plex assumes it is an mp3. The roku does not like that. There appears to be a way to properly report codecs in the itunes channel based on the file extensions, so expect an update to resolve this issue.

wingrider

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 am

Didn't so much save my RokuXS2 that I like and will continue to use with or without Plex but it did save my trusty old HP computer from remaining in storage or going to Goodwill it is now a silent running and steady server. Plex found all my movies titles and artwork plus all my Itunes playback has been good as well as PQ.

mommom

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am

I installed Plex thinking it would "just work" like XBMC because thats where it began.Not so much for me.I installed both the sever and the media center.I never was able to access the server in anyway.The media center I was able to go into and access the menu with preferences,etc but was never able to find my movies,just some blah basic pod cast type channels from the internet. I uninstalled and reinstalled just the server,still not able to access it,no icons and when I click on it in the list of all programs it does nothing. I go back to the Plex web site again and again,for the 3rd time,search for a step by step tutorial to follow for installing.No luck.I give up and uninstall again.Maybe it works better with Mac.Maybe the Linux folks are a lot smarter than me,I have had issues with not doing well with Linux.But I use XBMC daily and love it,I have used NOKNOK and Playon and can build a pc from the ground up and repair laptops and other electronics to a degree.Why can't I find a simple step by step that actually tells how to install and use on a Windows 7 machine? Roku of course was simple,follow the steps on the screen,add the channel,enter the code,there it is on Roku,but of course there is nothing for it to find when my pc can't find it.

I was wondering if maybe Plex does not play well with XBMC installed?If not,I will keep my XBMC and continue to use Playon to send my movies to the Roku,I am not willing to give up XBMC.

DerekHelps

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:20 am

If you cant find your Plex media server from the Roku client channel, try manually finding the server.

1) enter Plex channel on Roku
2) Preferences
3) Plex Media Servers
4) Add Server Manually
5) enter IP address of computer that has Plex server
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:22 am

mommom wrote:
I installed Plex thinking it would "just work" like XBMC because thats where it began.Not so much for me.I installed both the sever and the media center.I never was able to access the server in anyway.The media center I was able to go into and access the menu with preferences,etc but was never able to find my movies,just some blah basic pod cast type channels from the internet. I uninstalled and reinstalled just the server,still not able to access it,no icons and when I click on it in the list of all programs it does nothing. I go back to the Plex web site again and again,for the 3rd time,search for a step by step tutorial to follow for installing.No luck.I give up and uninstall again.Maybe it works better with Mac.Maybe the Linux folks are a lot smarter than me,I have had issues with not doing well with Linux.But I use XBMC daily and love it,I have used NOKNOK and Playon and can build a pc from the ground up and repair laptops and other electronics to a degree.Why can't I find a simple step by step that actually tells how to install and use on a Windows 7 machine? Roku of course was simple,follow the steps on the screen,add the channel,enter the code,there it is on Roku,but of course there is nothing for it to find when my pc can't find it.

I was wondering if maybe Plex does not play well with XBMC installed?If not,I will keep my XBMC and continue to use Playon to send my movies to the Roku,I am not willing to give up XBMC.

mommom, once running, you access the server page via the system tray icon. Double-clicking it (or right-click->Media Manager...) should open the administration interface where you can manage your library. You should also be able to access it by going directly to http://localhost:32400/manage/index.html#home
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mommom

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 am

Thank you! I just downloaded it again and saw your post.There it is!I will fool with it now and see what I can do.Very excited to see if I can get rid of my free version of Playon now that they have added a popup telling me it is expired while I watch movies. :D :D :D

FX4

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 am

Interesting thread. I actually tried Plex and just found it too full of bugs for my liking. And no I don't really have an interest in finding workarounds and hacks to fix the issues before twenty people start asking questions and making suggestions. On the other hand I have been extremely happy with the progress private developers and Roku have made on making streaming content available. I guess everybody sees things differently.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mommom

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 am

Weird.I can't just "browse" to find my folders so I click around on things and finally type in "movies" because its the name of the folder my grandkids can use.I don't get any of those movies but I do get my WinTv recordings so this is encouraging.I think maybe Plex needs a non-Techie who has stumbled their way around and then got up and running to write a Wiki.This looks promising.

bolony

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm

I also had the problem where I couldn't browse or add folders. Turns out the culprit was firefox.

Try opening the media manager in another browser by copying and pasting the address (http://localhost.....) into explorer or google chrome. After that, its a few simple clicks to add your media.