Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Plex saved my Roku

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 pm

bolony wrote:
I also had the problem where I couldn't browse or add folders. Turns out the culprit was firefox.

Try opening the media manager in another browser by copying and pasting the address (http://localhost.....) into explorer or google chrome. After that, its a few simple clicks to add your media.

The web interface definitely has issues in different browsers. In Chrome, I have to click multiple times to get the menu to show up and menu items to select. In IE, it seems to work well, but I get a message at the top of the browser that tells me it doesn't, and that I should install Google Chrome Frame for IE. Following that advice, I get the same behavior as I do in Chrome (as you'd expect). Not really surprised you have issues in Firefox as well. Since all of the screenshots on the website are from a Mac, I wonder if Safari isn't the best option for that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mommom

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 pm

I only use Chrome unless a site requires something else.I still think it may not be playing nice with XBMC so tonight I will back up everything and remove XBMC long enough to give it a try.Maybe I will try PLEX on a different pc but this is my most powerful.one,not sure if a dual core will cut it,it seems like I read something about needing quadcore or better.I did build a triple core Phenom 2 for my granddaughters 5th birthday,I could try that if 3 cores is enough.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:15 pm

mommom wrote:
I did build a triple core Phenom 2 for my granddaughters 5th birthday,I could try that if 3 cores is enough.

You're the coolest grandmother ever! :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bolony

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm

I run plex media server on a somewhat old computer - core 2 quad q9300 2.5 ghz, stock no overclock, 4 gigs of ram and a 8800 gts video card. These are all about 4 years old. I can stream 2-4 gig MKV videos from the server to my Roku without any hiccups or artifacts. I believe if the video can play natively on the Roku (say off a usb), then there's not much processing power needed.

mommom

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm

TheEndless wrote:
mommom wrote:
I did build a triple core Phenom 2 for my granddaughters 5th birthday,I could try that if 3 cores is enough.

You're the coolest grandmother ever! :P

They keep me young and I have this idea that most jobs in the future will need computer skills-heck,even truck drivers use computers.That little girl handles XBMC ,Kylo,Kidzui,the Roku,taught me how to use my new phones camera,builds on her brothers Roblox builders accounts when they aren't looking,learned to read on the pc from sight reading "start","exit""enter""pause",etc from childrens websites and now reads simple stories on the Starfall website.She shows her little friends how to use Roku and they go home and get their parents to call me and ask what is a Roku and where do they get one.They dance to the "Fresh Beat Band"on Netflix :lol:

mommom

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 pm

bolony wrote:
I run plex media server on a somewhat old computer - core 2 quad q9300 2.5 ghz, stock no overclock, 4 gigs of ram and a 8800 gts video card. These are all about 4 years old. I can stream 2-4 gig MKV videos from the server to my Roku without any hiccups or artifacts. I believe if the video can play natively on the Roku (say off a usb), then there's not much processing power needed.

Here I was thinking I would need to unlock my quadcore to a hexcore and buy a better cpu cooler.I going to work on it now.Wish me luck.

blaze92

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

screw crackle, I want a plex shortcut button on my remote :p

srsly tho, this app replaced two other apps recently; my YouTube player "RateRix" and Blip Tv

mommom

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 am

I got it working.It seems it didnt like where I keep my movie folders,in downloads,it much prefers them in videos folder.Makes sense .I will have to try it a few days to see if I like it better than my current set up.I am pretty lazy and never convert my movies.I'll let the grandkids try it this weekend too.

castalla

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 am

Anyone tried BBC iPlayer on Plex (Win 7) - I find it very jerky and continually buffering.

All other iplayer apps (eg. browser, XBMC) work flawlessly on the same PC - no buffering, or other issues.

dwanthny

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:57 am

mommom wrote:
continue to use Playon to send my movies to the Roku

This is how currently I stream my media from my NAS.

Crunch

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 am

Great thread! :) I was wondering if anyone knows how I can watch the NBA Playoffs via Roku? The NBA League Pass doesn't cover the playoffs I don't think, so last year, I got cable TV from my cable company, which is also my ISP. I currently get 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up, so the speed is there, but not the access, at least not that I know of. I'd rather pay for online access than go through getting cable for 1 1/2 months only to cancel it when the Playoffs are over. :|

Any advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :wink:
Roku 2 XS, Epson 1080p projector, The new iPad, awaiting release of 15" "Retina"-ish MacBook Pro or Air

Rahabib

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 am

I have found plex for roku very buggy.

I have PMS set up for Win7 and in Ubuntu 11.10.

First detection: both PMS detect great on my PS3. Roku on the same network I have to manually enter the IP :(

Next streaming: PS3 streams great. No hickups. Roku, same network, same distance and file streamed, audio gets out of sync after a few minutes.

I hope theres more updates coming soon. As it is, it doesnt work well for my roku.

As a side note. I am using handbrake to make my files. anyone have any settings for handbrake that play for Roku? maybe its just more picky than my PS3.

scyber

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 am

The Roku tends to be far more picky about video formats then many other players. I've heard many people have had lots of success using the AppleTV 2 preset in handbrake.

Saqqara

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 am

How are yall getting spotify working? I can't see how to enable channels/apps/plugins except itunes which just works.

hozedhead

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:12 am

Saqqara wrote:
How are yall getting spotify working? I can't see how to enable channels/apps/plugins except itunes which just works.

Spotify only works on the Mac server. If you have a Mac PMS you can install it from the Channel directory in the Miscellaneous row of the Roku channel.
Last edited by hozedhead on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10