Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Plex saved my Roku

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 am

FX4 wrote:
I run an 17 2600 @ 4 GHz with 16Gigs of RAM so I barely notice it running. At the beginning of a stream one core will spike about 30%.

Really? I have the same, and all 4 cores (8 hyperthreaded) run at 75% while Plex is doing its thing on a 720p H.264 video with AC3 audio. It fully transcodes an hour and a half movie in about 8 minutes, though, so it's not a major issue, but I was hoping that there was some advanced setting that would allow you to set processor affinity for transcoding. Haven't found anything so far.

FWIW, in my experience with transcoding, I've found that the AC3->AAC transcode is the most processor intensive, so if you're videos already have AAC audio or you're not set for stereo, you might not see nearly as much CPU activity.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

FX4

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am

Nope I don't see it at all, in fact that is with a 1080P stream. I checked it when another person was complaining about CPU load. Do you have yours set up for the CPU and graphics card to work hand in hand sharing the load? Do you have the i7 2600 or or the i7 2600k. For video processing you want the 2600 and not the 2600k.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:07 pm

FX4 wrote:
Nope I don't see it at all, in fact that is with a 1080P stream. I checked it when another person was complaining about CPU load. Do you have yours set up for the CPU and graphics card to work hand in hand sharing the load? Do you have the i7 2600 or or the i7 2600k. For video processing you want the 2600 and not the 2600k.

2600K.. that may be the difference. I'm pretty sure I configured shared CPU/GPU when I built it, but I'm not sure how to double check that. Do you know off hand?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

FX4

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Man I have to go back and look. I don't remember exactly how you do it off the top of my head. The funny thing is that the built in GPU is supposed to be better on the 2600K but for whatever reason it was never optimized by Intel. The net result is the 2600 does a really good job transcoding and the 2600k not as good. On the other hand the 2600k is a better gaming CPU. I run the 2600 onboard GPU in parallel with an NVIDIA GTX 560ti. This setup works so well I can literally play BF3 on high mode with my wife is transcoding a movie or TV show from Plex or another transcoder and I don't know she is there. She said to me last week "Did I mess your game up, laughing?", I responded I didn't even know you were watching something.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mastermesh

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am

Converted a lot of my workout dvds over to Plex and am going to try to work through them. In the past I always made excuses about finding the right dvd, etc. Now with Plex, no more excuses! Started Power 90 yesterday, and plan to stick with it as much as I can. Got my wife's walking and zumba tapes on there too.

With the "plex it" I found a ton of workout videos on youtube too. Amazing what all is out there.

For the conversion process... I used dvd shrink for the first part... then tried the vobs to see if plex on roku would take them. Some they do, some they don't. Most of the ones that don't work are older dvds, like the first power 90 disks, so I think they are in mp2 format.

I'm using virtualdub to convert to avi, and then divx to convert the avis to smaller filesizes on the ones that don't work so that they will work. Virtualdub avis are freaking huge otherwise... one little 30 minute tape might be 30-50 gigs! After divx, it's less than a gig in size for the same thing.

Found a plugin listed in a youtube video on how to make older dvd conversions work swell, and it helps a lot. Otherwise, virtualdub was throwing a hissy fit about some code being wrong or something.

In the media center, if you right click you can untag the tags plex puts on the vob files, etc. Otherwise, just about every movie will be tagged as Cars or Avatar, etc.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels

FX4

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:41 am

A question for those using Plex. I find this software to be extremely bug filled. I keep installing it because it really fills a gap in my entertainment system then I get frustrated and remove it again. It's like everything about it is beta code. I guess for freeware I shouldn't complain but man the time sunk into making this thing work properly is just getting old. So are other people that are using this running into a lot of issues? The lack of support on the forums is kind of troublesome too.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

dwanthny

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 am

FX4 wrote:
I keep installing it because it really fills a gap in my entertainment system then I get frustrated and remove it again. It's like everything about it is beta code. I guess for freeware I shouldn't complain but man the time sunk into making this thing work properly is just getting old. So are other people that are using this running into a lot of issues? The lack of support on the forums is kind of troublesome too.

I run into the occasional hiccup, but for the most part it runs fine. It isn't used as much as my other server app so it is still a test in progress.

russell_t

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am

dwanthny wrote:
FX4 wrote:
I keep installing it because it really fills a gap in my entertainment system then I get frustrated and remove it again. It's like everything about it is beta code. I guess for freeware I shouldn't complain but man the time sunk into making this thing work properly is just getting old. So are other people that are using this running into a lot of issues? The lack of support on the forums is kind of troublesome too.

I run into the occasional hiccup, but for the most part it runs fine. It isn't used as much as my other server app so it is still a test in progress.

I also run into the occasional hiccup, but I've not had a lot of issues. I have Plex serving from a dual-core Win7 PC to a Roku 2 in my living room as well as to a Roku 1 in the bedroom. My Win7 PC serves locally stored video, plus video and audio from several external USB hard drives connected to the WinXP PC in my basement. 5.1 audio from the Plex server through my Roku 2 to my home theater system works correctly. I have a USB TV tuner connected to my Win7 PC and I record OTA with Windows Media Center; Plex serves my recorded programs from Windows Media Center (WTV container) to both of my Roku's with infrequent interruptions which, while some might find annoying, I can live with. For example, I streamed a one-hour WMC recording to my Roku 1 several evenings ago and had to restart the program one time during that hour. Both of my Roku's are hardwired (CAT5).

FX4

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:44 am

I'm having problems like:
Installed plugins not functioning or partially functioning.
Samsung client will crash the server if you try to resume video playback
Channels not connecting to server (Plex developer told me they have a problem with flash and certain channels they are working on)
The update service crashes once all updates are installed and never comes back on the Plex client
I can keep going but you get the idea. I have probably stumbled into another half dozen besides the ones listed above.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mommom

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:28 am

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times too.I guess I have been spoiled by using xbmc on my htpc and for some reason keep expecting Plex to be so easy.Then it is so easy to use the unnameable PO free media server(although its not pretty) to serve local content without ever having to convert any files.I will keep giving it a try,I did make a few changes to make work better,like where I keep my files,etc.At some point I expect that either it will work better,find my videos,not freeze,etc,due to some updates,or I will figure out my own problems I am creating Yeah,I do that sometimes)and get my act together.Maybe its just a mental block because I know it is an offshoot of xbmc,and xbmc is just so elegant and easy.

FX4

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:00 am

I really need to look at XBMC again. My problem is I use my desktop PC as the streaming server so it's not real convenient to use it as an HTPC.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

dwanthny

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:10 am

FX4 wrote:
I really need to look at XBMC again. My problem is I use my desktop PC as the streaming server so it's not real convenient to use it as an HTPC.

I use my desktop as the streaming server too. Currently I've settled for PO to stream local media and alternate channels. Multiple streams work fine too.

I have Plex installed and will keep up with it, but for now it is second string.

FX4

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 am

Pretty much the same as me.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

mommom

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I have the same setup.My" desktop" is actually an "on the stand behind the tv" HTPC.I built it with a huge case with lots of hard drive room.The only problem is that the tv is my monitor,so I use my little laptop for web surfing.The grandkids are running dual core older AMD pcs with XBMC,KYLO,etc and they stream from my harddrive while we are watching a movie in the den all the time.PO works just fine for this,no tinkering necessary.

FX4

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Well it looks like the 4.6 update fixes the transcoding issue. I have gone through a bunch of files and have not seen a pixelation error yet.
Last edited by FX4 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)