Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ghugheyjr
Topic Author

Mediaportal channel creation request

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 am

I am very interested in developing a channel for the Mediaportal media center. the Mediaportal media center found at http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ . this media center has the ability to perform as Windows Media Center and capture OTA broadcast TV. I have a tuner card inside of my HTPC and would love to get the OTA channels and my media libraries with all of the associated metadata broadcast to all of the Rokus in my home. I figured the best way to do this is to create or have created a channel for my Mediaportal media center on the Roku. I am having difficulty even getting started as Mediaportal can play both my content saved on my local computer (like PlayOn) and the live broadcast media. I love the interface Mediaportal uses and would love an almost near replica to appear on my TV when I activate the Mediaportal Roku channel (once it is developed).

Can any of you experienced developers help a newbie out here with this development? I would be very willing to post a bounty for the help or creation of this channel. I am sure the creation of this channel should be very easy and I am making it much more difficult than it needs to be. thanks so much.

By the way, I know a HTPC attached to every tv is the answer to this problem, but I only want to use one HTPC and stream all of my content to all of my TVs which have a Roku.

dellsweig

Re: Mediaportal channel creation request

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am

Have you looked into installing a plex media server on your server and the plex app on the Roku??

This should do exactly what you are looking for - and more.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

ghugheyjr
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I do not think Plex will stream my OTA TV stations that I have streaming through my PC via my tuner card. It will do everything else, I am positive of that, but I do not think it will stream my live TV channels. If it will, I will love it forever....

ghugheyjr
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

The developement team at Plex have informed me they do not intend on making Plex able to handle OTA TV via a tuner card. Mediaportal has informed me that with the release of Mediaportal 2, they will handle OTA and stream to DLNA/UpNp/ Extenders, and I have given the information to make a Roku Channel. They seem interested in the Roku Channel, after the DLNA issues are worked fully. I am eagerly awaiting the MP2 developement team feedback regarding the creation of a MP2 Roku Channel.

If and when an MP2 Roku Channel is done, you will have all of your media on your computer in an amazing format, much better than Plex's, and be able to stream your OTA TV that is running itno your computer via a tuner card. Amazing!

stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:06 am

don't get your hopes up about the OTA tv. The only DLNA "issue" is that Roku is not a DLNA device. Over the air TV is going to be a problem getting from your computer to the Roku. Firstly I do believe OTA television is broadcast in an mpeg2 format, which the Roku doesn't do. Second, since it is live, the only live streaming format the Roku supports is HLS streaming. What would need to happen is your computer (via vlc player or the like) would have to transcode on the fly the live broadcast and create a m3u8 playlist file that gets served to the Roku. That would be very processor intensive so you'd needa pretty modern computer to do it. I believe it has been tried before as well by a user and it never really worked satisfactorily. There's a lot more nuts and bolts to the process than that and a lot more than just piping feeds to the Roku.

You might really want to look at other players because the Roku just isn't designed for what you want to do

mikebdoss

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am

I know everyone wants to use their Roku (or any one device) to control everything, but shuffling your OTA antenna feed into a computer, then processing/transcoding it, then streaming it is absurd when you can just plug your OTA signal directly into your TV (or DVR, or HTPC) and watch from there.

mommom

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
I know everyone wants to use their Roku (or any one device) to control everything, but shuffling your OTA antenna feed into a computer, then processing/transcoding it, then streaming it is absurd when you can just plug your OTA signal directly into your TV (or DVR, or HTPC) and watch from there.

+1 :D

rsheldon62

Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 am

I have an antenna connected to my PC which is used to record OTA.
I can then play recorded OTA programs through a Roku box using Plex.
But that doesn't help me if I want to watch live OTA broadcasts.

It would be awesome to stream live OTA through Roku so that I
don't have to (a) pay for multiple antenna's and (b) have redundant
antennas when one could service all TV's.

Yes I could probably boost the signal from my single antenna and
get it to propagate throughout the coax cables through my house, but
that's a hassle too.

Just my $0.02.

Roger

mikebdoss

Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 am

rsheldon62 wrote:
I have an antenna connected to my PC which is used to record OTA.
I can then play recorded OTA programs through a Roku box using Plex.
But that doesn't help me if I want to watch live OTA broadcasts.

It would be awesome to stream live OTA through Roku so that I
don't have to (a) pay for multiple antenna's and (b) have redundant
antennas when one could service all TV's.

that's a hassle too.

Just my $0.02.

Roger

You don't need much of a signal boost, really, in a home environment. And your TV's tuner is going to give you a far, far better picture than any sort of daisy-chained antenna-computer-transcoding-network-roku-tv setup.

stratcat96

Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 am

rsheldon62 wrote:

that's a hassle too.

Just my $0.02.

Roger

that's exactly how I have mine set up. Single outdoor antenna running into the house through the same coax the satellite dish did. Then once in the house it goes into a distribution amplifier and then out to the rest of the house using existing coax connections. It's a whole lot easier than hoping for technology that the Roku just isn't equipped to do, or adding all sorts of other equipment/running computers/etc.

FX4

Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 am

stratcat96 wrote:
rsheldon62 wrote:

that's a hassle too.

Just my $0.02.

Roger

that's exactly how I have mine set up. Single outdoor antenna running into the house through the same coax the satellite dish did. Then once in the house it goes into a distribution amplifier and then out to the rest of the house using existing coax connections. It's a whole lot easier than hoping for technology that the Roku just isn't equipped to do, or adding all sorts of other equipment/running computers/etc.

+1, it's exactly what I do.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

kc8pql

Mon May 07, 2012 8:45 am

FX4 wrote:
+1, it's exactly what I do.

Me too.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

kallsop

Mon May 07, 2012 10:38 am

I really like the idea because we currently use a Plex server and if we could have something similar that also has OTA channels then that would be awesome. We have 5 Roku boxes and running 5 sets of coax all around the house is not going to happen. The Roku is, in part, popular because it is wireless. Also, changing the TV source between OTA and Roku (HDMI) would not be necessary. It's been a while, but in the past I have streamed OTA from my FusionHDTV card to other PC's. The FusionHDTV app has built in streaming capability, and it can be routed through VLC if the stream needs to be recoded.