Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Gilgamesh

Re: What is the point of HBO/Epix, etc...

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am

philsoft wrote:
You don't like Charter? I think they are pretty good. I pay them like 40 bucks a month for a 30mbs connection and they include Epix at no additional cost. The service rarely has even a hiccup. I am in The Central part of Michigans lower Peninsula.

This is probably not the place to discuss various providers but my main complaint is not their general quality of service nor is it their price. Rather it is how hard it is to get tech support and answers to questions when needed.

Calling their tech support line is more than a pain and they insist on referring you to the online help when you are calling about your internet being down.

Charter's tech support is worse than Roku's at least until you finally get through to a human and their automated system does not offer a way, generally, to skip responding to each and every troubleshooting step even if you have already done them. That is unless you lie to the system and then ask for a transfer which sometimes works but also often ends with you right back in the automated system right at the start.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:59 am

Calling their tech support line is more than a pain and they insist on referring you to the online help when you are calling about your internet being down.

could see where that might be a bit of a problem...... :)

Guy calls a mechanic--"My car wont start" mechanic replies -- "Just drive it down to the shop and I will have a look at it"
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

philsoft

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:46 am

Looks like Apple is trying to ink some kind of deal with Epix to go with the upcoming Apple Television.
http://www.geekosystem.com/apple-epix-streaming/

onevoisses

Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Most people might not understand third world countries but let me give you a synopsis

"Shop keeper will say if you need to purchase beef,you will need to buy a pack of envelopes",when you question the shopkeeper he will say,"I sell envelopes too,not just beef"

Most businessmen now-a-days is not concern with what the consumer wants,but what he has to offer.This is why I do not support mergers in the media and information systems corporation.They should be allowed to close down and make more innovative companies come aboard.

The FCC. say they get more than 30,000 entries for any single categories of communication,somebody needs to stop paying the bureaucrats from baring these entries,and pay some engineers to find spectrum and communications channels and allow all the contents out there to come online.
this will increase competition and better for any country.

It has been some Three (3) years since the digital channels and spectrum came aboard,every city should have at lease 1,000 stations available,from education to science to community to whatever,but we still paying these bureaucrats to create restrictions on the public at taxpayers expense,then these thieving communications company turn and swipe your money and call it entertainment.

Talk about businessmen living in First world countries,but with Third world business approach and mentality.
Channel: Goaheadmission
O/S : Linux
Home media: MYTHROKUPLAYER With Homerun

cwniles

Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 am

I have Cox for internet access and I do not subscribe to any sort of TV package but as others have said, I do get access to Epix via my Cox internet subscription and for free, I have no complaints, the live stream channel works just fine and the quality is more than acceptable.

They just had a Stan Lee hosted superhero weekend where they played Thor, Iron Man 2 and Captain America, all movies I have not seen as I rarely go to the theater and do not subscribe to Netflix, so that was cool. They have also been showing Bellator fights on Friday nights (which apparently are on Spike and MTV2 as well? but since I have no cable TV I don't know for sure).

Caught a nice quality playing of Serpico the other day as well.....all in all, not too shabby (for free).
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

RickRansom

Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm

cwniles wrote:
I do get access to Epix via my Cox internet subscription and for free, I have no complaints, the live stream channel works just fine and the quality is more than acceptable.

Last time I heard of Epix on Cox Communications is that they didn't authorize the roku to stream them(Epix).
It seems they only allow streaming on certain iOS devices according to this page. I wonder if that's changed over time.. Oh well.. :lol:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

cwniles

Tue May 08, 2012 4:46 am

RickRansom wrote:
cwniles wrote:
I do get access to Epix via my Cox internet subscription and for free, I have no complaints, the live stream channel works just fine and the quality is more than acceptable.

Last time I heard of Epix on Cox Communications is that they didn't authorize the roku to stream them(Epix).
It seems they only allow streaming on certain iOS devices according to this page. I wonder if that's changed over time.. Oh well.. :lol:

eh, might be the case. much like Youtube and other channels, sometimes it's best to jump on them early and then just don't mess with anything.......at any rate, my PC sits right next to my Roku and uses the same display and A/V amp it's just I like using the Roku as it is more efficient and the remote pairs well with my recliner ;-)

but yeah, shhhhhh! ;-)
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

FX4

Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 am

knuckle wrote:
If roku were to strike a deal to offer a "basic" package (like on cable say 40 channels sci-fi,history,discovery etc) would most of you be willing to pay say 20 bucks a month for it?

what would you consider a fair price for it via roku?

That's a good question knuckle. The answer for me is no. And it's the reason I got rid of cable. Those are the channels I watched years ago when they had good content. It's all a bunch of junk now. I could care less about Ice Road Truckers or Biggest Catch, etc. Back when Discovery had content more like Nova and the History Channel actually covered history they had my my attention but the last few years no. Scify has even gone down the same path. Ultimately via streaming I have found the content I want to watch, most of it legal, some of it not illegal but lives in the grey area. I have manged to put together the package I wish cable would offer but it's not going to happen. I don't put up with news channels that are babbling heads attempting to tell me what my politics should be or edutainment channels that don't deliver what they promise anymore. So, I vote with my wallet and the answer is no. Now there are certain things I would pay for but they premium content. I would pay for ESPN, HBO, & Showtime.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

SuetyStanes

Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 am

onevoisses wrote:
Most people might not understand third world countries but let me give you a synopsis

"Shop keeper will say if you need to purchase beef,you will need to buy a pack of envelopes",when you question the shopkeeper he will say,"I sell envelopes too,not just beef"

This is brilliant, thank you.

occasio

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 am

Andy4464 wrote:
knuckle wrote:
If roku were to strike a deal to offer a "basic" package (like on cable say 40 channels sci-fi,history,discovery etc) would most of you be willing to pay say 20 bucks a month for it?

As Long as it had ESPN,ESPN2,TruTV,ID,USA,Syfy as well as other I would pay $20 a month

Look at your channels. I have listed the families of some of these channels below. You think they don't package them all together?

ESPN's family
ABC; Disney Channel,Disney Junior; Disney XD; ABC Family; A&E; Bio; Crime & Investigation Network; History; H2; History en Español; Lifetime; LMN; Lifetime Real Women; Military History; ESPN2; ESPN3; ESPN Films; ESPNews; ESPNU; ESPN Classic; ESPN Deportes

Syfy's family
Syfy; Chiller; Cloo; E!; G4; USA Network; Universal HD;Bravo Media; Oxygen; Style; Telemundo; mun2; PBS Kids Sprout; TVOne; CNBC; MSNBC; The Weather Channel

mogamer

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 am

danstl wrote:
Stupid channels with great content - yet you can only use them if you pay for cable... Just think this is really stupid...

Why can we not just pay for Epix and HBO, etc...

The main reason is that you can watch packages you pay for on a tv without having to pay for another stb. Probably the main reason why Comcast and DirecTV doesn't allow HBOGO on the Roku player for their subscribers.

I have a 32" crt tv in our bedroom and it has a Roku player, Tivo Series 2 (ota), an original Xbox and a DVD/VHS combo unit connected to it. I really don't miss not having a Dish stb connected to it at all.

johninFL

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 am

knuckle wrote:

NO NO NO. that way takes us right back to the cable/sat. paradigm,whereby we must pay for a package filled with channels that we don't want,watch,or care about,but are forced to pay for :twisted: . It defeats the whole reason i and many others have "cut the cord" and bought a streaming player.If Roku starts cutting deals like that then,IMHO Roku may lose much of its appeal,and people may not be nearly as likely to buy Roku players if it's no different than cable/sat.???. I am afraid that if Roku cuts even one deal like the one you suggest,it will only be the beginning.Pretty soon they'll start cutting more and more "deals" until finally Roku will look and feel and charge fees comparable to cable/sat. :( OTOH if Roku could cut a deal to be able to offer channels ala-carte,then THAT would be verrry acceptable to me. :D....depending on the cost per channel,i can choose to buy it or not.

mikebdoss

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 am

Let's say you own some networks. You can sign a few contracts with cable/sat companies and get your networks distributed to 80% of the US population. The cable/sat networks even offer to give your minor/niche networks a channel, as long as you agree NOT to sell your networks a la carte. For you as a network owner, you win - your niche networks get exposure, your major/popular networks get seen by everyone. The cable/sat companies win too - popular channels in place, very little effort expanded to give niche networks a high channel number (doesn't really cost you any more bandwidth), and most importantly, customers HAVE to come to you to see those networks, because the network owner can't sell the channels a la carte.

THIS is the situation we've been in for the last couple decades, folks. Love it or hate it, it's the reality. Media companies and distributors both have VERY good reasons not to sell a la carte. And even a million people paying $10/month for your network (would you really pay $10/month for most networks?) wouldn't come close to the money you're making (and the exposure you're getting) by being in 100 million homes. I'd love to plunk down some cash and get a few select networks, but it's a dream that is VERY unlikely in the short term.

DBDukes

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

I'm already buying content à la carte. On Roku, it's via Amazon Instant Video.

Now, I can't get everything, such as HBO or the like, which is the point of this resurrected thread. But I won't go back to cable (or go to satellite). I've already seen what I can get, and get it cheaper than cable/satellite. As long as Amazon (or iTunes; I also have an Apple TV) offers content at a reasonable price, I'll buy what I want, but only what I want.

I expect the cracks in the premium services to happen with either Amazon or Apple. And mikebdoss is right; it won't happen tomorrow. But it'll eventually happen. And when it happens, there will be dancing in the streets. Or, at least, my pumping my fist and saying "YESSS!"
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

max mike

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 am

I have HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Epix all free with my new satellite package do not watch hardly anything on them, had Epix streaming with Charter internet for over a year used it once. I would not pay $5.00 a month for the lot of then but it would be nice to have the option.