Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

prickett
Topic Author

Streaming from PC to Roku?

Sat May 05, 2012 9:56 am

What programs are out there allowing streaming from a PC to a Roku device?

I use both Plex Media Server and Roksbox. Plex is more feature complete, but gets progressively slower (read: frequent rebuffering) over the course of a week until I have to close and reopen it. Roksbox is rock solid, but is missing some of the nice features of Plex.

I'm hoping there are others out there that will bridge the gap.

FX4

Re: Streaming from PC to Roku?

Sat May 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Nope not really. The one that is out there is the unmentionable but they have bugs too. I haven't seen issues with Plex slowing down or buffering. Lots of other issues but not that. I suspect you may be running something on your computer that has a memory leak causing problems. It could be a plugin you installed on Plex or something else that is causing Plex to slow down.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

lumberjack

Tue May 08, 2012 6:12 am

Plex Media Server is encoding on the fly. If you convert your media to a more streaming friendly file type it might work better.

mommom

Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 am

Plex has the most features but I find it very buggy.I am too lazy to re encode all of my files so I mostly use the free version of the unmentionable private channel Playon.I never have buffering issues but its pretty ugly.The most important thing is enough ram and enough power for on the fly encoding.I am pining for a version of xbmc that can be used on Roku,but the closest thing is Plex,I just may be too spoiled by xbmc to change.

FX4

Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 pm

What I have pretty much ended up doing is to use Plex for local files to my Roku 1s for local streaming only, it transcodes to Roku 1s fine. XBMC at the main television. The latest update to the unmentionable caused a lot of buffering for local media. I don't know what is causing the problem so I just said forget it. I'm sure its a driver somewhere on my PC or something like that. I have a dream that one day this stuff will just work...LOL.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

SuetyStanes

Fri May 11, 2012 9:49 am

prickett wrote:
Plex is more feature complete, but gets progressively slower (read: frequent rebuffering) over the course of a week until I have to close and reopen it.

This isn't normal behavior as far as I'm aware, and I've certainly never experienced it.

You might want to investigate, or post your issue over at the Plex forums (they have an area over there specific to the Roku client).

mommom

Fri May 11, 2012 11:17 am

FX4 wrote:
What I have pretty much ended up doing is to use Plex for local files to my Roku 1s for local streaming only, it transcodes to Roku 1s fine. XBMC at the main television. The latest update to the unmentionable caused a lot of buffering for local media. I don't know what is causing the problem so I just said forget it. I'm sure its a driver somewhere on my PC or something like that. I have a dream that one day this stuff will just work...LOL.

I was Googling addons for xbmc last night and came across directions to add PO to xbmc.Got all excited until I realized that was exactly the opposite of what I wanted .If I could add xbmc to PO I could have it on Roku.Darn it!