Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mtg1974
Topic Author

What's new in 4.7?

Mon May 14, 2012 5:22 pm

My Roku 2 just updated to 4.7 - build 2049. I was wondering what has changed.

FX4

Re: What's new in 4.7?

Mon May 14, 2012 5:51 pm

I don't know, I'm about to find out. Downloading now.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

dbin78

Mon May 14, 2012 7:38 pm

They told me (http://goo.gl/8HEcP) "It is just to fix some issue like buffering while playing a movie, or kick back issue with some channels. And features like, screen saver upgrade, display."

FX4

Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 pm

LOL, how typically Roku level one support!
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

RickRansom

Mon May 14, 2012 7:57 pm

dbin78 wrote:
They told me (http://goo.gl/8HEcP) "It is just to fix some issue like buffering while playing a movie, or kick back issue with some channels. And features like, screen saver upgrade, display."

Checking the transcript from the link you provided, it seems like they didn't know there was a limited early release or just blurted out something to satisfy your curiosity. Roku usually rolls out new updates to a limited group of beta testers to ensure stability of the new update before it gets released to regular roku users like you and me. Although I do admit that the suggestions(or answers) that the rep provided you could actually be what the update targets, I'd take it with a grain of salt. But who knows?

I agree with the last few lines though:
The most annoying part was the non comprehension and quick to answer based on a keyword attitude. It ended up taking 26 minutes and multiple iterations of the same question to pry a little bit of information out of them and no resolution for the future. The first reply should have been "Dain, the update primarily fixed an issue with buffering and had a screen saver upgrade. We do not publish release notes, but will pass the request on to my manager." That would have resolved everything in about two minutes!
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

FX4

Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Roku really does need to fix the level one support. Once you get past level one everything is fine but it's a pain getting past them to get a real answer.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon May 14, 2012 10:24 pm

In a lot of cases (especially in the initial stages of Early Release -- which is only to about 20k users on average), Level 1 support may only be aware that it was rolled out, and may not know the details. Although I agree that the conversation could have been a LOT shorter and more accurate, they may have been working with a very limited or very knew knowledge.

Although I don't have the release notes on-hand (and won't get them until it's ready to go public, although I spoke with my manager about 4.7 last week, so know a bit), I do know that what Support said is more or less accurate. There's a lot of minor bug fixes and optimizations, and some under-the-hood stuff. Once the engineers are comfortable with the firmware's stability, they'll send me the patch notes, and RokuTom will post it on the blog, then I'll post them here. Until then, you'll just have to be patient :).

And unfortunately, the patch notes for this release will probably be very short and not say a lot, since most of what was done is under-the-hood, and won't necessarily impact you at this time.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

david0406

Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 am

Guess I have become one of the the guinea pigs now 8) :)
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express

ciscobear

Tue May 15, 2012 4:17 am

Well my Amazon catalog was taking a while to load up on my Roku LT and had some network connection issues only with Amazon in the last couple of days. This update seems to have fixed that, my Amazon catalog comes up fast now.

My Roku HD is working perfect, will upgrade this morning as well.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Tue May 15, 2012 4:24 am

I guess every update is like that tho---we ask why but the answer is always to make roku better,stronger and faster (the six million dollar answer) I doubt we will ever get " well the roku was just performing too well so we thought we might break a few things to keep the playing field level for the other streamer makers out there" :)
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue May 15, 2012 4:31 am

knuckle wrote:
I guess every update is like that tho---we ask why but the answer is always to make roku better,stronger and faster (the six million dollar answer) I doubt we will ever get " well the roku was just performing too well so we thought we might break a few things to keep the playing field level for the other streamer makers out there" :)

Actually, 4.9 is designed to level the playing field so everyone else can catch up, and to give us more competition in the long run. In fact, 4.9 breaks Netflix so drastically (by design), that we envision 5.0 will allow us to capture even more of a market share once we "fix" it :mrgreen:

/sigh I'm going to have a long week when that's rolled out, from all the complaints.

/sarcasm off :D

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

FX4

Tue May 15, 2012 4:51 am

@RokuShawn,
In response to your post:
I know you don't have much control over the structure of customer support but as someone that spent about ten years of my career in customer support roles I can safely say Roku's level one support is broken. I remember when I called them asking technical questions prior to purchasing my first unit I received scripted answers that didn't really fit the questions I was asking. After about an hour on the phone I left the call feeling frustrated. Half on faith and half on my daughters word I bought my first Roku. Fortunately Roku turned out to be a whole lot better than I expected and I found this forum. I actually feel sorry for people that do not get past level one support or don't find this forum. I am certain in the name of closing out cases quite a few customers are left with unresolved issues that result in the player being tossed in the corner and never used again or result in unnecessary returns. And even worse customers are left with a sour taste in their mouths, resulting in ill will towards Roku. It's unfortunate, because this is a really good product.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Buckeye911

Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 am

FX4 wrote:
@RokuShawn,
In response to your post:
I know you don't have much control over the structure of customer support but as someone that spent about ten years of my career in customer support roles I can safely say Roku's level one support is broken. I remember when I called them asking technical questions prior to purchasing my first unit I received scripted answers that didn't really fit the questions I was asking. After about an hour on the phone I left the call feeling frustrated. Half on faith and half on my daughters word I bought my first Roku. Fortunately Roku turned out to be a whole lot better than I expected and I found this forum. I actually feel sorry for people that do not get past level one support or don't find this forum. I am certain in the name of closing out cases quite a few customers are left with unresolved issues that result in the player being tossed in the corner and never used again or result in unnecessary returns. And even worse customers are left with a sour taste in their mouths, resulting in ill will towards Roku. It's unfortunate, because this is a really good product.

It's not always bad. I have a couple of Roku boxes from previous generations but last week I got a new 2XS. The remote control wouldn't work and wouldn't pair manually so I contacted customer support and had an excellent experience. I waited less than two minutes and received courteous and professional support from Cherry.

FX4

Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 am

Well that is good to know.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue May 15, 2012 8:14 am

Buckeye911 wrote:
It's not always bad. I have a couple of Roku boxes from previous generations but last week I got a new 2XS. The remote control wouldn't work and wouldn't pair manually so I contacted customer support and had an excellent experience. I waited less than two minutes and received courteous and professional support from Cherry.

I had a similar experience with the online support. I had a bad box, contacted support through chat, calmly explained everything I'd tried prior to contacting them, tried a couple of other suggestions just to satisfy their verification requirements, and had an RMA within about 10 minutes. I had the new unit two days later. I've never used their phone support, but having done support myself in the past, I'd wager that 85% or more of the support calls they receive are just as straight forward, and can be handled just fine by the level 1 support folks. It seems to be mostly when an end user has an issue that should be escalated, or has an attitude going in, that it starts to get hairy, and we hear about it here. For every one of those calls, however, there are probably five others where the user actually did forget to plug the unit in... :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)