Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RickRansom

Re: HBO Go and comcast

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:45 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
It's absolutely DTV's choice, not Roku's. As far as Roku is concerned, they want EVERYONE to be able to use HBOGo. DTV is probably afraid of someone with a very cheap device (Roku) being able to use a feature that otherwise would require a new DTV Box on every TV. No one's going to buy multiple XBoxes or a new TV just for HBOGo, but they'll pay $50 (one time) instead of a monthly fee from DTV.
+1
I wouldn't want to rent a cable box or buy an Xbox just to get HBOGo on my other TVs. But if it's going to be a roku box then it'll have a lot more functionality to it rather than getting a dedicated cable box shelling out $$ on end for the rental, or an Xbox that won't be used extensively to make the purchase worthwhile[I already have a PS3]. Maybe Concast and DTV want you to rent out one of their cable boxes or something else along the way - I don't know. Lucky for me Verizon doesn't gripe with Roku. :mrgreen:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:57 pm

dsc3507 wrote:
Yes, I would have to be authorized by DirectTV but the question looms why would DirectTV care about the Roku as the data would always be handled by another source. DirectTV does not handle internet data. That part was spun off to another outfit. Also DirectTV is listed for BOTH the Samsung and Xbox devices. Sure seems like a Roku issue to me. Why would DirectTV allow those but not Roku. Does not make sense. I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Feel free to give DirecTV a call, if you don't believe me. They'll even tell you that it's their decision and that they don't have plans to allow it anytime soon, as they've told numerous other forum users who have called. I suspect DirecTV sees the Roku as a competitor, not only to their own receivers and their Nomad STB (which you'd have to pay to rent from them), but also to the cable/satellite industry as a whole. XBoxes and Smart TVs aren't generally cord-cutting devices, so they don't pose any immediate threat to DirecTV's service. The Roku is, and as far as I'm aware, is the only standalone STB that has HBO Go (the GoogleTV and Boxee "apps" are/were just links that open the HBO Go website in a browser). The fact that you need a cable/satellite subscription to access HBO Go seems to be taking a back seat to the precedent that DirecTV and Comcast are afraid they'd set if they allowed it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Gussy2000

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

You can access HBO Go via a Roku if you are a Cox customer or Time Warner Cable customer; two huge cable companies. This is a not an issue between Roku and HBO. For other devices (like my phone) HBO Go lists Comcast (Xfinity) as an option for verification. In other words, Comcast allows verification from that device. Why? Comcast's bread and butter is not in the mobile phone market.

It is the cable TV market (emphasis on TV - not computer or tablet or smartphone).

They are specifically denying Roku set top box activation. Cable boxes, which you lease from providers, are set top boxes of a type just like a Roku. But then so are modern Xboxes and Comcast allows that (although only after massive outcry from owners). Think about it. Does Comcast tell you what computer to buy when signing up for Internet access? No. Do you have to lease the modem they offer? No, you can buy your own. The one place they keep a firm grip is your TV. They may not tell you which set to buy but they pick and own the hardware between your TV and their service. The Roku also goes between your TV and (one) of their services. In fact, it circumvents the cable service and uses the Internet. That may be the nail on the head. Comcast does not want you going around cable access to get to your HBO. Beyond stupid. You still have to subscribe to HBO and in order to do that you still need a cable package. The reason they might care that you are not using the cable box? If I'm not using the box, I won't order additional content, you know that lucrative pay-per-view stuff, or I might order less.

I may be reaching here but I'm grasping for some form of logic to make sense of the denial on their part. I just want to watch True Blood and GoT on my nice, new HDTV. The biggest screen in the house. We will still fork over too much money each month for our limited storage, piece of crap DVR because my son's shows are there. They won't be losing an revenue from me. All the more reason it pisses me off the deny activation.

The Comcast rep at Best Buy tried to feed me some BS company line that Roku and HBO are working out content licensing issues. If that were true, Cox and Time Warner customers would be out of luck if they owned Rokus. Those customers are not. They are able to watch HBO Go on their nice big HDTVs while Comcast customers can only stare at the utterly useless HBO Go channel in their channel line up.

You know what is even better? In the same Best Buy with the Comcast kiosk that told me it was a Roku vs HBO thing, is a big end cap promotion for Roku. Do you know what is splattered all over the marketing? GAME OF THRONES. That's right an HBO original series you would ONLY be able to watch on your Roku if you are able to activate HBO Go. In my area, Comcast is pretty much it. If someone goes into that Best Buy and signs up for Comcast and then says, "sweet, a Roku and I can get my Game of Thrones on" they will get home and be sadly disappointed. I'm sure there is some fine, fine print about limited availability for HBO Go but like anyone is going see or read that.

shanezam203

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 pm

I am in Chicago and have Comcast but can not activate HBO to Go on my Roku, am I doing something wrong or is it not supported?

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:03 pm

shanezam203 wrote:
I am in Chicago and have Comcast but can not activate HBO to Go on my Roku, am I doing something wrong or is it not supported?

I don't think HBOgo is supported via Comcast, I bet it's because they want you to use their equipment, not a 3rd party's.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

svkolb55

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:43 am

I feel it must be a Comcast/xfinity issue. This company is not listed as a cable provider with Roku but it is listed on my Samsung smart TV

workerdummy

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 am

I may have posted this before, Comcast techs have given me 2 reasons why HBOGO and other network channels on Roku are not available.

1: Roku is the leading proponant of the Cut The Cable movement. The reasoning is obvious.

2: Comcast is planning to add an HBOGO app to their X1 box.

If you have an X1 already (I'm not sure about the legacy DVRs), pretty much everything that's on HBOGO has been added to HBOOD (On Demand), at least everything I wanted to watch. The better part of that is no bandwidth usage to watch OD. Granted, that's not really a problem...yet.

LeeHB

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 am

Comcast only wants you to use their annoying Xfinity on Demand, which probably has the worst 'user' interface that you'll ever see anywhere; I used it to watch Boardwalk Empire and it was an exercise in futility; try just clicking to the next episode in the series, and you'll be pulling your hair out and cursing their remote 'control'....

Futility + 10...
:(

beq

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:35 pm

I realize this is an old thread (and even older request). But now approaching Fall 2014, and still waiting on Comcast to support HBO GO activation on the Roku.

Checking www.hbogo.com/activate, they now seem to support everyone that's not Comcast/Xfinity?

For example I see support for AT&T U-verse, DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FIOS, Charter, Cox, Cablevision/Optimum, etc.

beq

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Ironically Comcast has been advertising their Internet Plus package of Internet + HBO (plus Streampix and local stations), catering to cord cutters who don't need regular cable TV but just want HBO. The price makes it relatively attractive. Comcast Performance Internet alone has a jacked-up $65-70 (non-promo) monthly price. Whereas Internet Plus is also $70 full price (new customers get it for just $40-50 first year).

The catch is of course that Comcast then starts adding the monthly fees for their TV set-top box, etc when you have TV service. But if you can use HBO Go on the Roku, then you might want to decline the Comcast box (or just get their free box even if it doesn't support HD, DVR, on-demand, whatever)...

captivater

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:19 am

This is a very dangerous game they're playing. The Bell System had their conglomeration torn apart over policies like this. If Roku felt an inkling to sue, which would be a tougher climb than a crusade up Everest, it would have precedent to do so. My thinking is that Roku keeps getting strung along by Comcast with continued compatibility promises which never materialize. One day, when the excuses get too old, Roku will do something. As this thread has been ongoing for about three years, we should hope that time is soon.

clocks

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:30 pm

It's crazy I have two years of free HBO with my Comcast promotion. Yet, I use my parents login (from a different cable company) on my Roku box for HBO GO.

For this and many other reasons, I hope Comcast isn't allowed to merge with any other cable companies. They are already too powerful, and not consumer friendly.

captivater

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:26 am

Congratulations Roku

So glad you guys were able to secure a victory with the FCC. It bodes well for us all :)