Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

5.0 looks to be coming soon. What big things you hoping for?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Post them here and let Roku know! At first I kinda didn't want to do this as I have done this in the past but since 5.0 is coming. Roku can dust off the notes from last time. :D

I myself would like to see a better UI and motion controller menu navigation support. I hope 5.0 is a huge update.

Let's see....Let me go into more detail here:

For the channel store it would be nice to have a search feature. Along with options to set what channels you want on each box. I know you can make different channel accounts but it would be nice to manage this with one account. Adding like channel queues for each box would be nice. Just pick what channels for what box. Have it display how many channels you can install per box with total storage space being used / left on each of your boxes.

Channel folders would be handy too. Having the option to set PINs on channels and folders too. Maybe a hidden channel or folder option for people who like Adult content but don't want others to know. More user control!

Speaking of privacy and all that jazz. A private Netflix viewing mode would be nice for people who don't want whatever they watched to show in the recently watched. I think with Web browsers and such having these options that Home media should too. I'm speaking for all users I don't secretly watch Care Bears or anything. :lol: My point is that users should have these choices.

On the Netflix topic I would say auto episode skip too but that's been requested a million times now. ;) Oh and the Kids viewing mode with option to set a pin for regular mode. Heck an option to not get recommendations for kid films or Genres of choice. My Niece is ruining my Netflix Genres! LOL! Which Thanks again Endless for the Instant Watch Browser for Netflix! ;)

The Home screen UI needs a major revamp. Something like the channel store grid. I wanna see more user control. Give me more options on how to customize the layout. Maybe Themes and such? An option to choose how to view channels (like by channel type or A-Z) along with a channel search. So by typing in a few letters brings up the channel you're looking for. The search should also have an option to show suggestions in the channel store too.

Which yeah channel folders would be handy. Like I said above for users with the motion remote it would be handy to point the remote and have an arrow to move around the UI. Mainly for typing too. I find the Wiimote handy for that.

Options to quickly install and launch any channel. You only have so much storage space so an option to mark a channel as a favorite or download will install it on the box and list how many total channels you can install on that box with how much storage space is left. So you can have the lesser channels you use download and install each time and have your favorites always installed. This way you can launch whatever channel you want and not worry about the out of space error! Or incompatibilities if you have Roku 1 and Roku 2 boxes.

Maybe some type on integration with cloud storage? Use like Dropbox (Or the other free or paid cloud storage options) to store select channels and it connects to storage to load the channel? Just an idea. There is a lot of free and paid cloud storage services. I think this could be doable? As the SD slot isn't a viable solution as it's not on all the different boxes.

With more and more channels coming I think these features will become critical! Plus it's time for a revamp.

I think 5.0 should really go big with features. What do you think? What's your ideas? If I think of any more I will post em. :)

If you have hardware ideas post it in the Roku 3 features: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52932
Last edited by Crow550 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

traal

Re: 5.0 looks to be coming soon. What big things you hoping

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 pm

I want a global watch list, similar to TiVo's "Now Playing" screen, which aggregates OTA and downloaded shows into one list view, ordered by most recent shows first. Then I wouldn't have to go into each channel individually to see what's new, because it's all right there.

Crow550
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 pm

More ideas on the new Home screen UI.

I think when you press the * button on the remote that it should let you choose Home screen layers you want to add like a Favorite channels bar that stays on the top panel of the Home screen and let's you add like 6 or so of your top favorite channels.

With customization options to set the display to your recently loaded channels or list most loaded channels and such.

Crow550
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 am

traal wrote:
I want a global watch list, similar to TiVo's "Now Playing" screen, which aggregates OTA and downloaded shows into one list view, ordered by most recent shows first. Then I wouldn't have to go into each channel individually to see what's new, because it's all right there.

Yes that would be nice to like use the search bar on the Home screen to find Titles across all the services.

As well as one central place to look at new Titles and such. That would be awesome!

EzRyder

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 am

Grid type layout for my channels would be great for me.
OTA antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, COZI, MeTV, RTV
Roku 2XS & Roku 3 + Plex for everything else
Amateur Call Sign: K5YUR - Mostly PSK, JT65 digital modes

dessndave

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 am

I agree Crow the following I have wanted to see for a long time now.
Be able to hide specific categories in the chan store. ( I personally do not like seeing all the religious channels & news type channels once I enter the chan store. )
Search Feature for chan store
folders to seperate by type category etc. folders instead of rows say folders you can click previews, Movies, TV eps, news, religion, kids etc
We would like to see real channels with real content Such as real movies & tv shows.
More international channels (philippines, korea,japan, mexico etc) as it would bring more people to watch content.
PINS Would be nice on folders catagories as you said.

I too also have to thank and apologize to endless as I finally find his channel very useful. Also love the layout of his channel vs NF channel. I love dark backgrounds especially pure black or select a image of your taste.

I would love to have theme options to load our own images for backgrounds etc and to be able to change colors of fonts & backgrounds.

I would love to see some major content available.

Tons more of idea's but I would need to know more what we can can't do lol.

Oh ya Definitely some information on some of the channels so we know what they are as some are odd names that do not make sense to lots of us so we just ignore them. Also better display icons for them would be nice to know what they are.

And for channels with commercials Private or Public should have random commercials instead of same commercial through the whole movie or show.
Watched a movie on a channel and it was the same commercials throughout the whole movie. (was not a chanstore channel)

tj218

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:18 pm

MLB.tv to allow you to do different audio overlays (radio braocast while watching the video) PS3 has it, I have to assume there is some hardware/UI limitation that prevents that from happening.

Nick255

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am

The ability to set the Roku to turn the video off (until a button is pressed on the remote) instead of display a screensaver. Very useful for people with HDMI switches who don't want to keep fighting with it because the Roku is always on.

radiocolin

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:16 pm

New home screen layout. Radio audio overlay in MLB. SlingPlayer.

spaldingclan

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 am

Airplay

DaBronx

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:40 am

tj218 wrote:
MLB.tv to allow you to do different audio overlays (radio braocast while watching the video) PS3 has it, I have to assume there is some hardware/UI limitation that prevents that from happening.

+1

And a cup holder.

Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

dellsweig

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:06 am

spaldingclan wrote:
Airplay

Well - lets see which comes first (or ever)....

AirPlay for the Amazon for the AppleTV :)
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

traal

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:05 pm

The Roku box needs to be able to output 1080p24 or 1080p120. Yes, it may require new hardware, but this needs to be on the road map.

Crow550
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm

If you have hardware ideas post it in the Roku 3 features: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52932 OP updated with this info too.

Frankp999

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 am

Slow motion like I have on DVDs.