Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjpm
Topic Author

Getting Kicked Out of Justin.tv

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Is anyone else having this problem? Occasionally - not very often - I'll get kicked back to my channel menu, usually after trying to access a channel. The channel I get kicked out of differs.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.

misscable

Re: Getting Kicked Out of Justin.tv

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:19 pm

You are lucky. One week ago, Justin Tv stopped working on my roku 1 and roku 2. Only a very few channels will load at all. Everything else gets an error message. I have reset repeatedly, and have even deleted and reloaded the channel with no success. The software says that it is updated. On some channels, I get the problem you describe, where I click on the channel and get taken to the channel menu. I do not know how to fix this. The channel is completely useless now, and without it I don't have much use for the Roku.

bluesingincat

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 pm

I can't get any of the channels on JTV to load either. It started this morning. I've tried everything, rebooting, removing the channel, adding it back, ect. I have the first generation Roku player. Maybe it's time to look into buying another player.

Platinumyears

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 am

I've been having the same problem since about 6 days ago. Getting annoying, but not enough to consider getting another device.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 am

working fine here on roku 1 and roku 2 players (well as fine as Justin usually goes) watched about 2 hours last night
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

mikebdoss

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:08 am

It must depend on the channel. I got kicked out yesterday when I tried to view a channel in the Sports tab. This was on my Roku2.

Schmye Bubbula

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 am

^ Yeah, it seems to happen only on certain channels. After getting kicked out to the Roku main screen, you can go right back in and try the same channel again, and get kicked out every time. But other channels play fine. And yes, this started happening about a week ago. (I'm a heavy user of Justin.TV.)
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

barnes7td

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:38 pm

It has been happening to me on certain channels. I haven't been able to distinguish between channels that will work and ones that won't. Started about a week ago. Happens on channels that used to work.

TheEndless

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi all. Justin.tv is one of the channels I developed. I received a similar report late last week, but was unable to reproduce it on my end. If you could provide details on specific streams or scenarios that cause the issue, it'd be easier for me to track down the problem and (hopefully) fix it. Also, if you have an iOS device, since the Roku channel uses the same streams, it'd be helpful to know if the same stream causes problems in the iOS app. Since this is a new issue, without any updates to the channel, it's almost certainly something on Justin.tv's end, but I can't know for sure without being able to reproduce it. Thanks!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Schmye Bubbula

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm

^ OK, this will get you started. I just now went browsing one-by-one under:
Entertainment > Movies
...and this stream (pretty deep down your sort-by-popularity) is crapping-out repeatedly right now at the time of this post: TheSmoo.
(I'll try again later or tomorrow and see if it's persistent.)
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

TheEndless

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
^ OK, this will get you started. I just now went browsing one-by-one under:
Entertainment > Movies
...and this stream (pretty deep down your sort-by-popularity) is crapping-out repeatedly right now at the time of this post: TheSmoo.
(I'll try again later or tomorrow and see if it's persistent.)

I can't seem to find that one, neither by drilling down nor through search. It must have gone "off air".
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mjpm
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Lately, I've been kicked out repeatedly while trying to watch an Entertainment/Comedy channel entitled "Me." As far as I can tell, it only plays HOGAN'S HEROES episodes.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.

Schmye Bubbula

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Yep, TheSmoo is gone. But again under Movies, I just now got yennasis to pop me back to the Roku home screen. (It's pretty far down the list, too.) It doesn't even get into the progress bar. What I see is immediately upon hitting play from the list screen (haven't tried from the stream's details screen 'cause I never use them), it backs me out first to the Justin.tv main screen, then out to the Roku main screen.
- -
Edit: OK, I tried yennasis again from its details screen, and the crap-out progressively backs me out to the list screen, then to the Justin.tv main screen, then finally to the Roku main screen.
– –

TheEndless

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
Yep, TheSmoo is gone. But again under Movies, I just now got yennasis to pop me back to the Roku home screen. (It's pretty far down the list, too.) It doesn't even get into the progress bar. What I see is immediately upon hitting play from the list screen (haven't tried from the stream's details screen 'cause I never use them), it backs me out first to the Justin.tv main screen, then out to the Roku main screen.
- -
Edit: OK, I tried yennasis again from its details screen, and the crap-out progressively backs me out to the list screen, then to the Justin.tv main screen, then finally to the Roku main screen.

Ah ha! Ok, so I was able to reproduce it with that one. It seems that channel is marked as "private", so it can't be played. I'm not checking for that condition in the code, so it crashes. I think that's probably a change to the Justin.tv API, as I don't think private streams were exposed previously.

Oddly, it plays on the iOS app, so there's something funky there. I'll look into it.

TheEndless

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

mjpm wrote:
Lately, I've been kicked out repeatedly while trying to watch an Entertainment/Comedy channel entitled "Me." As far as I can tell, it only plays HOGAN'S HEROES episodes.

That's the same issue as the stream Schmye referenced. It's coming back as private. Strange...