Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TWoods68
Topic Author

Endless buggy scrolling

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:32 pm

My newest Roku player has issues with scrolling in all/most channels. For example in Netflix, if I push the button once to scroll down it will act as if the down button is stuck (it isn't) and just scroll until it reaches the end. If I hit the up button when this happens, it will begin to scroll this way only in an upward direction. The same is true for left and right.

This also happens in Plex, Hulu, and other channels.

If it happens in Netflix, and I then switch to HULU or Plex, the same behavior occurs. The only way I have been able to stop the continuous/repeat scrolling is to reboot the player. This is happening at least once a day, so rebooting constantly is really not ideal.

Any idea what might be going on here?

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Endless buggy scrolling

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
...it almost seems like the remote itself is having issues.

+1 It's not a common complaint.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

TWoods68
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:37 am

No smartphones here, or gaming remotes, but I will try swapping the new remotes and/or using the remote from my older player with the new player and see if the problem clears up.

catastrophegirl

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:06 am

TWoods68 wrote:
No smartphones here, or gaming remotes, but I will try swapping the new remotes and/or using the remote from my older player with the new player and see if the problem clears up.

if you don't have a smartphone, i second trekkeriii's suggestion of testing it with remoku.tv
if the problem persists when using the digital pc remote, then the issue is likely with the roku. but if it goes away then it points back to the physical remote
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless

bbbaldie

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 am

I use the Roku app on my Android phone, it makes the problem better than the infrared remote, but IT STILL HAPPENS. What's the fix? I have two Rokus, one is really bad, the other acts up too, not as frequently. Cold reboots of the Rokus don't help.

I've turned lots of friends onto Rokus, this is hugely disappointing for this problem to appear after months of happy usage.

Software is up to date on the devices (manually checked). I may try a factory reset on the worst offender, I hate to (a PITA), but I'll report the results here if I do.

UPDATE I have disabled automatic picture brightness on the TV per a suggestion seen elsewhere, it appears that the problem has gone away. I'll keep an eye on things and update this post.

Last (I hope) UPDATE I'm calling this issue solved, in my case. Disable automatic screen brightness if this happens to you. I miss the feature, but I'm ecstatic that the psycho scrolling has stopped. :P

shawnmarie09

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:24 pm

I am having the exact same issue. I have the roku stick. It's like my remote has a mind of its own. It's so frustrating that I just turn off the tv.

kc8pql

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:38 pm

FORUM GUIDELINES
In general, if a thread is more than six months old, generate a new thread
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R