Affected model: Roku 2 XS
- Asus RT-N16
- TomatoUSB firmware (Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6)
- Wireless-N 2.4GHz
- DNS using OpenDNS servers
- QoS turned off
- Connection between router and Roku is strong
- Amazon Instant Video
- MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2010 model)
- iPhone 4
- Basement apartment
- About 20 other in-range wireless AP's besides mine
- Total of maybe 20 feet from router to the Roku with one wall in between them
I have a problem where anything I watch in HD is constantly buffering on the Roku. On my computer everything plays fine, but on the Roku it's always buffering. I've run Vudu's speed test on my Mac and my results are consistently between 5.37 Mbps and 6.34 Mbps. On the Roku Vudu speedtest I either get a network error message or a max of 1.5 Mbps. Both devices are connected wirelessly. I've even done the network test on my Mac from the same room as my 2 XS to make sure the wall wasn't the problem.
I have a feeling the Plex problem is a different problem since that's playing media locally. As far as HD video streaming goes I only have Amazon Instant Video and Vudu (for UltraViolet) at the moment - I don't have a subscription to Netflix. That being said any title I try to stream in HD runs into constant buffering problems or network problems and I can't figure out why. Any ideas on how to improve my speeds so the Roku matches my laptop?
Thanks for any help!