Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Modulus16
Topic Author

Very slow streaming

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Hello everyone, I've done some searching but haven't found anything that exactly matches what I'm experiencing. First off, here is what I'm working with:

Affected model: Roku 2 XS
Router:
  • Asus RT-N16
  • TomatoUSB firmware (Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6)
Networking:
  • Wireless-N 2.4GHz
  • DNS using OpenDNS servers
  • QoS turned off
  • Connection between router and Roku is strong
Channels Affected:
  • Amazon Instant Video
  • Vudu
  • BYUtv
  • Crakle
  • TEDTalks
Other wirelessly networked devices:
  • MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2010 model)
  • iPhone 4
Home Environment:
  • Basement apartment
  • About 20 other in-range wireless AP's besides mine
  • Total of maybe 20 feet from router to the Roku with one wall in between them

I have a problem where anything I watch in HD is constantly buffering on the Roku. On my computer everything plays fine, but on the Roku it's always buffering. I've run Vudu's speed test on my Mac and my results are consistently between 5.37 Mbps and 6.34 Mbps. On the Roku Vudu speedtest I either get a network error message or a max of 1.5 Mbps. Both devices are connected wirelessly. I've even done the network test on my Mac from the same room as my 2 XS to make sure the wall wasn't the problem.

I have a feeling the Plex problem is a different problem since that's playing media locally. As far as HD video streaming goes I only have Amazon Instant Video and Vudu (for UltraViolet) at the moment - I don't have a subscription to Netflix. That being said any title I try to stream in HD runs into constant buffering problems or network problems and I can't figure out why. Any ideas on how to improve my speeds so the Roku matches my laptop?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Modulus16 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Very slow streaming

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Modulus16 wrote:
Home Environment: Basement apartment. About 20 other in-range wireless AP's of me.

This might be the issue, try adjusting your wireless channel settings. If you can find a wireless analyzer, try to determine a wi-fi channel not heavily used by the wireless access points.

Note from wi-fi experience: The Abercrombie and Fitch warehouse had like 20 APs, and were wondering why the network was so slow and crappy. Turned out it was interference from having too many APs, reduced it to 6, issues resolved. So obviously this can cause such issues.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

knuckle

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 pm

you have tried different wireless channels on your router and tried placing the roku in a DMZ?

EDIT -- (trek beat me to it on the channel issue)
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Modulus16
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm

If you can find a wireless analyzer, try to determine a wi-fi channel not heavily used by the wireless access points.

If you look at this image http://d.pr/i/gYzh, you can see there are 26 AP's (besides mine). I picked channel 11 because the RSSI is lowest on the strongest in range AP. I've tried other channels with the same issues.

What still baffles me is my computer works just fine in this environment. Why would the Roku behave any differently?

thumpar

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I have been having the same problem with netflix on both of my Rokus. We only have a couple of networks in the area. I can stream using plex just fine it is only internet streaming that is effected. I have over 10mbs consistent internet connection and can watch netflix fine on the computer, blu-ray player and wii. Shows that say they are HD only get 2 dots quality for me. The computers work fine on the wireless. This only started happening with the last update in beginning/mid December.

trekkeriii

Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Modulus16 wrote:
What still baffles me is my computer works just fine in this environment. Why would the Roku behave any differently?

Unfortunately, that's the problem with wireless devices as a whole, when there is interference, it's hard to pin down. I noticed you picked a channel with 11 devices on it on the Wi-Fi, I would pick a wireless channel with less APs.

thumpar wrote:
I have been having the same problem with netflix on both of my Rokus. We only have a couple of networks in the area. I can stream using plex just fine it is only internet streaming that is effected. I have over 10mbs consistent internet connection and can watch netflix fine on the computer, blu-ray player and wii. Shows that say they are HD only get 2 dots quality for me. The computers work fine on the wireless. This only started happening with the last update in beginning/mid December.

Roku Gen 1 hasn't received an update since this summer just FYI, so something else has changed.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

Modulus16
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 pm

trekkeriii wrote:

Unfortunately, that's the problem with wireless devices as a whole, when there is interference, it's hard to pin down. I noticed you picked a channel with 11 devices on it on the Wi-Fi, I would pick a wireless channel with less APs.

I've tried changing to many different channels all with the same result. I guess all I'm left with now is trying a wired connection and see how that goes. I'll report back once I can get a cable long enough to reach into the living room.

trekkeriii

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Modulus16 wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:

I've tried changing to many different channels all with the same result. I guess all I'm left with now is trying a wired connection and see how that goes. I'll report back once I can get a cable long enough to reach into the living room.

Try powerline ethernet adapters (make sure since you are in an apartment complex, you use the encryption so no one can accidentally get into your network).
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

mkiker2089

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Vudu is having problems on their end and the network error is a key symptom. See the thread called vudu problems for more details on that. Amazon has had issues recently. Try crackle or revision 3 since both are free and see how they work.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

observer

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 am

Modulus16 wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:

I have my Roku on a wired connection and still have issues with netflix having to re-buffer down to a lower picture quality, which is not the case on my computer. And the same issue with the youtube app, with a severe loss of picture quality. And this has really only started in the last two or three weeks.

bennor3814

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:08 am

Modulus16, I may have missed it but what is your broadband speed? Also have you tried changing DNS servers that your router hands out to the clients (both wired and wirelessly)?

Slow broadband speed or network problems on your broadband providers network may cause buffering issues, especially on HD streams.

In the past I ran into problems with my broadband providers DNS servers causing buffering problems with Netflix on the Roku. Using public DNS servers fixed that issue. This link has a list of some free public DNS servers.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

In the few week or so I occasionally get buffering with Amazon Instant Video, and once in a blue moon these past few weeks with Netflix. Around Christmas time where was a problem with the Amazon network that affected Netflix streaming users.
http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/story/human-error-amazon-takes-down-netflix/2013-01-04

With respect to Plex, there are several threads in the Plex Forum on long loading times before streaming and other Roku/Plex issues. There is much speculation that there is some kind of issue between the Roku Plex Client and the latest version of the Plex Media Server.
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54551-roku-takes-60-seconds-to-begin-streaming/

With my Roku 2 XS and the latest Plex Media Server I am getting occasional buffering problems using the unsupported SS-Plex channel, and having occasional errors navigating within the Plex environment with both my Roku and with a web browser on the Plex Media Server itself. I suspect, as evidenced by other's speculation elsewhere, that the wireless antenna size/placement and or chipset on the Roku are poor. If I enable "playback debugging"* on my Roku it has reported wildly varying speeds. Here are some examples my Roku 2 XS, connected wirelessly via Wireless-N to a Belkin N300 F7D7301 router loaded with TomatoUSB's MIPSR2Toastman-RT K26 USB Ext firmware version 1.28.7501.2, has reported.
2.0mbps on a 2.9mbps network
2.0mbps on a 11.5mbps network
2.0mbps on a 5.7mbps network

I currently have the wireless channel on the router set to 11 since that is the least used channel in my area, which has upwards of 10 other access points available in the area.

* To enable playback debugging, from the Home screen on the Roku, press the Home button (on the remote) 5 times, then press the Rewind button 3 times, then press the Fast Forward button 2 times. The Bit Rate Override screen appears with the settings for overriding the Roku's bitrate and to "Enable/Disable playback degugging".

Squ1rrel

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey all,
I wasn't sure if this was already answered, but I might have a solution for the slow streaming (or at least something to try). I have the Roku3 connected via WiFi to my Netgear N300. I couldn't stream HD at all (told me my network speed was too slow). Wired connection at my PC was some where around 27mpbs down, 2mbps up. Using testmy.net from my android, I checked both by the TV (Roku) and in the room where the router was. Speed was no faster than 840kbps down and 450kbps up.

Tried all the same stuff that I read here (changing the router channel, removing security, turning off all wireless devices except the Roku, etc, etc. Then I read something on another forum and decided to give it a try. In the router settings, there's an option for WMM (usually in the QoS section, at least for my router). This is a nifty little setting that prioritizes what the router considers "time sensitive" data (VoIP, Videos, etc.). ***Turn of off***.

I did this and my wireless speed instantly jumped to 20mbps down and 5mbps up (yeah, THAT big of a difference). Excited, I flipped over to the Roku and tried to play the HDX trailer for "Gravity" (the one I was trying to watch earlier). No hesitation, 15sec worth of buffer, and it was going full tilt! Then I tested on a regular SD movie. 30sec buffer and movie played with no issues.

Give it a try, it might help.

johnoldrose

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 am

I upgraded my internet speed from 4 to 10 MBPS but afterwards my Roku was stopping for buffering for a very long time - like 20 seconds to play 10 seconds.  I really like blaming everything on Comcast or Trump but not this time.  I tried rebooting, no help, WIFI is doing fine, speed checks okay.  Then I saw a post about interference behind the tv where Roku is plugged in.  I also remembered I had also installed a chromecast dongle to work with my google home about the same time as the speed upgrade.  I tried removing the chromecast and problem solved.  So I may get a USB extension cord and move Roku and Chromecast away from each other.

mc510

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Several times I've had this problem of very slow wifi on my 2XS ... my internet service usually does 12mbps, and sometimes I get 0.5mbps on my Roku.  None of the usual stuff (rebooting, changing channels, etc) makes a difference, but this is what has fixed it every time:  go on my router and change the security from WPA2-AES to WPA1, then reset the Roku wifi setting and connect. Voila, full speed. Weirdly, I can then switch back to WPA2-AES and maintain speed.  FWIW.

vnazario

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:58 am

mc510 wrote:
Several times I've had this problem of very slow wifi on my 2XS ... my internet service usually does 12mbps, and sometimes I get 0.5mbps on my Roku.  None of the usual stuff (rebooting, changing channels, etc) makes a difference, but this is what has fixed it every time:  go on my router and change the security from WPA2-AES to WPA1, then reset the Roku wifi setting and connect. Voila, full speed. Weirdly, I can then switch back to WPA2-AES and maintain speed.  FWIW.

Just a note:  The 2 XS model does not support wireless N so you are limited to G band.  Try using all your other wireless N compliant devices on the N band to minimize interference issues at the G band.  The best solution is hard wiring and using your Roku via Ethernet but if you have no choice of using wireless then my suggestion plus the others (switching channels), relocating router for better signal reception and other tweaks are the only things you can do with your environment.  You may also want to give up on using your Roku on higher resolutions so it performs better with less buffering.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps