Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wklorenz
Topic Author

Roku 2 XS Rebooting constantly on Crackle

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 am

Hi
My New Roku 2 XS just purchased this last Christmas Is extremely annoying. Not even 2 months old
I've contacted Live Chat 4 times. They do not have a clue or a straight answer.
One says they are very much aware and trying to fix it and then someone else
will have me delete Crackle and then re-install it. One told me to hit home 5 times,
ff 3 times and then rew 2 times to go to the secret screen and reset software. Didn't make any difference.
I have version 4.9 build 5060. Next they had me click home 5 times, up 2 times, left 1 time, right 1 time,
left 1 time, right 1 time and one more left 1 time to check Crackle version. All checked correct according to support.
One support person told me to change my DNS entries. I'm on Comcast and have over 26000 kbps. I don't use Netflix so I don't know if that has a rebooting issue also but according to Google searches this is a very, very common problem and it looks like it's this model, the Roku 2 XS with Angry Birds preloaded that has most of the problems.
Finally Support said they are sending me a new Roku 2 XS. At first they wanted me to pay to ship mine back first.
I called again and now they sent me a Fedex Label prepaid. How unprofessional was that?
I hope the new one works because other than Crackle and maybe Netflix all else is O.K.
I really want this thing to work.
Bill

RickRansom

Re: Roku 2 XS Rebooting constantly on Crackle

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 am

According to a different thread, they're also having the same problem albeit a different Roku 2 model. Since other channels work fine, this is probably something entirely with Crackle.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

wklorenz
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 am

If you do a Google search and do some looking around this issue revolves mainly on the 2 XS.
On one search they said they had other models that did not have this problem. It was the XD.
Why did the Live Chat person tell me immediately that they were very aware of this issue? and
Software was working on it?

wklorenz
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 am

It would be easy to just say that the Crackle channel is the problem and it may very well be.
It would be easy to just say that Hulu and Netflix are the problem too and not Roku 2 XS.
The bottom line is that it is the Roku 2 XS box that is Crashing and it shouldn't no matter what.

DBDukes

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:56 am

wklorenz wrote:
It would be easy to just say that the Crackle channel is the problem and it may very well be.
It would be easy to just say that Hulu and Netflix are the problem too and not Roku 2 XS.
The bottom line is that it is the Roku 2 XS box that is Crashing and it shouldn't no matter what.

I'm not having any problem watching Crackle on my Roku 2 XS.

Now, perhaps there's something about a particular stream that's a problem. Perhaps a little more information about what led to the crash would be helpful in helping troubleshoot your issue.

Do you simply load the channel and do nothing else, and it crashes? Or, do you scroll around the channel (not launching) and it crashes? Or, does it crash when you launch videos? If so, what videos?

That level of information would be more helpful in attempting to replicate your issue.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

wklorenz wrote:

I AM, and have been for months, seeing these same issues. I see the problem in Amazon and Vudu as well.

wklorenz
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Typical Scenario for Crash and Reset
1. Click on Crackle
2. Select movie to play.
3. Click on play.
4. I then see the entire commercial, IKEA, BestBuy, etc. Usually those 2.
5. After the commercial ends I see the loading screen, rotating circle of dots.
6. It stops and then a short time later the Roku Resets with the Bouncing Purple ROKU letters.

One Time I must have seen 10 commercials in a row and then it crashed and reset.
The commercials are always shown in entirety before crashing and resetting

DBDukes

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:18 pm

wklorenz wrote:
Typical Scenario for Crash and Reset
1. Click on Crackle
2. Select movie to play.
3. Click on play.
4. I then see the entire commercial, IKEA, BestBuy, etc. Usually those 2.
5. After the commercial ends I see the loading screen, rotating circle of dots.
6. It stops and then a short time later the Roku Resets with the Bouncing Purple ROKU letters.

One Time I must have seen 10 commercials in a row and then it crashed and reset.
The commercials are always shown in entirety before crashing and resetting

Since you didn't provide a specific movie, I'll try a movie on Crackle and report what happens.
I chose the one that was already selected when I launched the channel (The DaVinci Code). It played 2 commercials, then the movie started. I let it play through the next commercial break (10 minutes into the film) and into the next segment. It played without issue on my Roku 2 XS.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

wklorenz
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 pm

It was the movie "Stripes"
Since you haven't had any issues I don't suspect you will with "Stripes" but, who knows?
Googling "Crackle Roku Problem" shows a lot of consumer issues. Searching more terms will get you more issues.
One person said that after deleting Angry Birds his problem went away. I don't know how much to believe?
It might be a memory issue? I even tried a 4gb micro-sd card. I saw no difference.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:42 pm

wklorenz wrote:
Since you haven't had any issues I don't suspect you will with "Stripes" but, who knows?
Googling "Crackle Roku Problem" shows a lot of consumer issues. Searching more terms will get you more issues.
One person said that after deleting Angry Birds his problem went away. I don't know how much to believe?
It might be a memory issue? I even tried a 4gb micro-sd card. I saw no difference.

I have tried everything except deleting Angry Birds (which I will try in a few minutes). I have replaced all Ethernet cable, replaced my Router, replaced my Cable modem, tried both wired and wireless connections, tried swapping out Micro SD cards, even tried going straight to TV rather than through a receiver, and nothing has resolved the issue.

DBDukes

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:51 pm

wklorenz wrote:

I launched Stripes on Crackle earlier today, in fact, after reading your first report of the issue. I had no problems.

I'm not doubting you're having issues, but, as stated, I'm not. Whatever the problem is, I'm unsuccessful in replicating it using the same model box (Roku 2 XS; 3100X; version 4.9 build 5060), using the same channel (Crackle), and using the same movie (Stripes). Odd, huh?

I'm gonna guess you're using a wireless connection (I am). If so, are you able to try a wired connection? I have read of others' issues that went away when using a wired connection (though they weren't specifically about Crackle). Just a thought.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

wklorenz
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Yes, I'm using a wireless connection with a Belkin N300. It's less than 20 feet away from the Roku. The Roku shows Excellent signal. I'll go out and buy a cat-5e and give it a try.
I'll let you know.

mkiker2089

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Just for the sake of argument, take the batteries out of the BT remote and use something else, Remoku or an app, to see if that has any effect. There's a bug in the Bluetooth code that is causing some strange behavior on other channels. It's probably unrelated but it's worth a test.

My guess is that the server near you has a bad encode. A bad encode that causes a memory leak can crash the box with little way of preventing it. I've seen it with Hulu personally. I'm not a computer expert, just relaying past experience. You could try changing your DNS to one that is static and distant, such as a Speakeasy DNS on a different coast but I doubt that will work either as Crackle will probably see through it (Geolocation, you can't hide from it) and send you back to the same server anyway.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

Chris Gerhard

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I recently had an issue with Crackle aborting during a movie using Google TV. It did it three straight times at the same point, I watched the rest of the movie using a Roku LT after the third time. I have seen enough complaints regarding Crackle and various boxes, I am sure the issue is with the Crackle service, not our hardware, most of the time and believe that is the case with the recent Roku 2 XS issues. I will try a movie from Crackle with a Roku 2 XS and see if I have any issues when I get a chance. Whether it is a bad encode or server issues or something else would only be a guess at this point.
Roku 2 XS 3100X
Roku LT 2450X

Chris Gerhard

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:15 pm

I couldn't play Stripes or The DaVinci Code or any of the others I tried using both a Roku 2 XS and Logitech Revue Google TV. The movies never started, no commercial nothing. The Roku 2 XS just aborted back to the channel guide, didn't reboot and I could try again, with the same result. I couldn't play a movie on Crackle using the Google TV Chrome web browser either, it just never starts no matter what I do. There is a Google TV Crackle Spotlight app which also just uses the Chrome web browser, optimized in some manner, but that doesn't work either.
Roku 2 XS 3100X
Roku LT 2450X