Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 2 XS Rebooting constantly on Crackle

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

wklorenz wrote:
Why did the Live Chat person tell me immediately that they were very aware of this issue? and
Software was working on it?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... maybe because it's a known issue and they're working on it?

According to your first post, they're sending you a new box to see if it fixes the issue for you, which sounds like a reasonable solution given that it doesn't appear to be widespread, so it could very well be box specific. I'm confused... are you just posting to complain about your support experience or...?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

tmurphe1

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I had the issue of Crackle returning to the Crackle menu when trying to play a video. Deleting Angry Birds and resetting the box solved the issue for me. That's fine for me, don't need no stinking birds.

ronfelder

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 am

Last night when I tried any title I was kicked out of Crackle back to the home screen. First time this has ever happened.

Edit

Today Monday I tired with no problem to play though I didn't watch the entire movie at least some 10 minutes of The Da Vinci Code. didn't watch it do to not wanting to spend almost 3 hours watching a movie at this time. I had full confidence that it would play through the end.
Last edited by ronfelder on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

wzwor

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 am

Last night I was unable to play Crackle after OVGuide stopped working. I didn't do any troubleshooting because I figured it was a momentary issue. Looking here, maybe not. Anyway, after moving the XS to a new a account -- which required a factory reset -- everything is working fine this morning.

Probably not too useful, but wanted to provide what little information I had.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

Chris Gerhard

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:49 am

I couldn't get Crackle movies to load last night using a Roku 2 XS or Logitech Revue Google TV. I just tried 3 boxes this morning, Roku LT, Roku 2 XS and Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV were all able to load "Stripes" and start playing properly. I will assume the Crackle issue has been solved by Crackle.
Roku 2 XS 3100X
Roku LT 2450X

wzwor

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 am

About ten minutes into stripes, Crackle started breaking up then bouncing out to resume screen. Just a little more information.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

RickRansom

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:41 pm

http://support.roku.com/entries/2316810 ... ry-17-2013

Update - Monday February 18, 2013
The Crackle Channel on Roku is experiencing minor service interruptions. Although the channel is accessible, some content may not be playable. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try the Crackle Channel on Roku again later, or try another channel in the mean time. No troubleshooting steps are need to resolve this issue as Roku is working to resolve this issue. Please stay tuned for further updates.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

8ctave HD

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Our channel had a similar issue. For a small minority, some viewers could not get past our 'splash screen' before the channel crashed and returned to the main Roku menu.

This problem vexed us for days, until we discovered an incompatibility between 8ctave and certian roku hardware display settings. 'Out of the box' default settings may not work correctly for some channels or be incompatible with some screens.

We were able to patch ourselves up, and the crashing problem appears to have been resolved. We've also notified Roku of the possiblity this issue may affect other channels, boxes and most importantly, people.

Our best to you,

8ctave HD
8ctave HD / FYDO / The BW / H*E*R*O* / FisHi / MULLET / SleepDiet / 911 / Presto / VAPE / Skope / Pro Bono / ScreamSaver

wklorenz
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:10 pm

To All
Yes, support experience was not the best considering all the different answers, the claim that the problem was "well known"
and they were working on it and then in the same LiveChat was told that it just got fixed as we were chatting. Just a bunch of baloney. I have to admit, though, that the others tried to help but unfortunately couldn't. They said they were aware of the issue but were at a loss as to the cause. The worst part about this issue is that the Roku 2 XS crashes and then the 2-3 minute waiting period while it resets. If there is a problem with the stream, whether it be Crackle, Netflix or other service, the Roku software should recognize it as wrong and instead of just crashing just display an "Error Message" like "Data Error", "Stream Error" or something with a little more meaning than just shutting and forcing a reset. One of my job responsibilities at work is to do software testing and program crashing is not an option.

in1ear

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 am

I posted this yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54603 regarding the Roku Search function specifically not accessing Crackle. Today I searched for "Stripes" and that movie DID show up in Crackle as well as VUDU and Amazon . I went back and searched for "Da Vinci Code" and it still doesn't appear. A puzzle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery.

I don't know jack about programming or whatever of this modern "cheezwhiz" but I'm tired of getting the "it's not OUR fault... it's THEIR fault"... it's sounds like politicians and the phrase "voodoo entertainment" comes to mind. Reach across "Party" lines, address the issues AND SOLVE THE ISSUES.

mkiker2089

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:46 pm

in1ear wrote:
I posted this yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54603 regarding the Roku Search function specifically not accessing Crackle. Today I searched for "Stripes" and that movie DID show up in Crackle as well as VUDU and Amazon . I went back and searched for "Da Vinci Code" and it still doesn't appear. A puzzle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery.

I don't know jack about programming or whatever of this modern "cheezwhiz" but I'm tired of getting the "it's not OUR fault... it's THEIR fault"... it's sounds like politicians and the phrase "voodoo entertainment" comes to mind. Reach across "Party" lines, address the issues AND SOLVE THE ISSUES.

I'm not sure if the search will ever really work with crackle. By the time the results are updated to include it the movie in question has been rotated off.

The solution ion this is to update the search more often. Does crackle has an RSS feed or anything similar?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

wklorenz
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Well, I just tried to play Stripes again and again it failed.
1st. Attempt, Selected Stripes, clicked play movie, saw a new Revlon commercial, commercial ended, went to loading screen, stopped loading, crashed to bouncing ROKU.
2nd. Attempt, same as above but this time after the commercial it went back to play movie screen, saw another commercial and then same to a third commercial and then crashed to the bouncing ROKU screen.
In the box it goes to be shipped back to ROKU.
It's going out Fedex tomorrow.
I hope the new replacement box works.
I hope they figure out how to make these boxes crash proof.
Just to reiterate, in my profession, a program crash as easy as this is just not acceptable.

dwanthny

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:51 pm

wklorenz wrote:
In the box it goes to be shipped back to ROKU.
It's going out Fedex tomorrow.
I hope the new replacement box works.
I hope they figure out how to make these boxes crash proof.

You received a RMA and Roku is sending you out another unit? I agree it seems to be too easy for third party developers to crash the Roku through sloppy programing. I would think that the API and onboard firmware should be able to isolate each channel as it runs and prevent system crashes.

wklorenz wrote:
Just to reiterate, in my profession, a program crash as easy as this is just not acceptable.

If your Roku is defective then there is no way to avoid a crash, is there. There is only so much you can code for.

I hope your new device plays Crackle and the other channels as consistently as they play for me on my Roku 2 devices.

Good Luck.

wklorenz
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Replacement Roku Update
Well, still have not received my replacement. They got mine and I called and was told it was going out Fedex 2 day service.
Guess what. Fedex 2 day service really isn't 2 day service. Now, I'm supposed to get it on Monday. That will be almost 5 days.
They should just institute a policy of sending out a coupon via email so the consumer can just to to Best Buy or where ever rather than having something shipped.
I really have my doubts about the replacement doing anything different than the first.

lion7718

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 pm

wklorenz wrote:
Guess what. Fedex 2 day service really isn't 2 day service. Now, I'm supposed to get it on Monday. That will be almost 5 days.

I know, my replacement took about a week. :lol:
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)