Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

greubel

Re: Chaneru DLNA Beta avalable

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:41 pm

When you are in the folders view and there is an icon for photos or music, you can use the FF button to select all the items.
Did you know, you can build up a song list from multiple media servers or folders and you can play music from one server and show photos from another.

mkiker2089

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong Greubel but I think maybe you've put too many features in it, or maybe it's just not meant for someone like me who keeps things simple. Perhaps I need a "Chaneru Lite" ;) I get confused having to remember that play isn't really play anymore and that back isn't back it's exit and rewind is back. Then when I'm playing a song and want to rewind and it instead navigates out I get frustrated.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the work. I don't want it to sound like I'm nit picking. I just have different opinions. I wish there were more people here communicating actually. As Gilgamesh said, with all the complaints about Roku lacking a native DLNA client you'd expect more activity.

I do realize that I'm still learning the channel though. I installed it late last night and have just started digging into the audio side. Then I had to find software to fix the thumbnails on my discs (Media Player didn't embed them like it should, long story if anyone needs help on that ask) and now I'm trying to get the hang of the player. Once I get used to making playlists I'm sure I'll like that. We all have albums full of filler. Having Billy Idol followed directly by Alice Cooper in a playlist beats fast forwarding through an album any day.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

Endlessknight

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 pm

greubel wrote:
Lately I've been getting "RCV Timeout" on a few files.

This could be just about anything. Does it display a file with the message ?
I don 't like that the back button takes me out to main page.

I use the "back" button to return to the main servers page instead of going back through a long list of nested folders.
You can use the REW button to go back one level.
I'd also like the ability to skip selecting and just have it open the folders as they are on the hard drive

I don't have any control over the way the folders are presented, it depends on the media server you are using.
Is there a way to do icons for TV how's so all episodes get the one icon?

Have you tried "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" ?

It happens while playing the file, the screen will just go black and display that error message but then it'll start back up playing again.

debro1114

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am

Endlessknight wrote:
greubel wrote:
Lately I've been getting "RCV Timeout" on a few files.

This could be just about anything. Does it display a file with the message ?
I don 't like that the back button takes me out to main page.

I use the "back" button to return to the main servers page instead of going back through a long list of nested folders.
You can use the REW button to go back one level.
I'd also like the ability to skip selecting and just have it open the folders as they are on the hard drive

I don't have any control over the way the folders are presented, it depends on the media server you are using.
Is there a way to do icons for TV how's so all episodes get the one icon?

Have you tried "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" ?

It happens while playing the file, the screen will just go black and display that error message but then it'll start back up playing again.

I have been getting the same thing - about the last 4-5 days. Doesn't last very long, just a few seconds and then resumes playing. I have both Roku 2 and 3 and it has happened on both. Although I have a Play*n and Apache server too, I have just been using the Chaneru server.

greubel

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am

There is a lot of background activity with UPnP and DLNA. The RCV Timeout could be coming from any of your servers.
I added the IP address to the display and also added code NOT to display the message while playing a movie.
Should be in 2.0.7

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 pm

An unrelated (well semi-related) issue I'm having is with UPNP. My router doesn't always accept UPNP. It seems like if I turn my computer and try to start anything that needs port forwarding on it doesn't work but if the computer has been. running for 30 minutes or so before starting a server the UPNP works fine. I remember my Netgear router had a time setting for UPNP but Belkins don't offer advanced features like that anymore due to a bizare company policy.

Anyway, short version, does it normally take a while for UPNP to work on computers?

greubel

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:19 pm

UPnP doesn't use port forwarding. But multicast has to be turned on in the router. The multicast addresses are in the range 224.0.0.0 through 239.255.255.255 and UPnP uses 239.255.255.250 port 1900. Each device has it's own period for issuing UPnP Notice messages BUT they should respond to UPnP SEARCH requests. Roku just changed their NOTIFY messages from once every 60 seconds to once every 20 minutes That is one reason I put code into the Chaneru server to accumulate UPnP devices it finds and periodically send it's list to all the Roku Chaneru apps. The Roku might not find them all but maybe the server will fill in the blanks faster.

greubel

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Updated both the app and server to 2.0.6
Made some minor fixes and added Google Analytics to the app

Could anyone using the Serviio profile please change it to read
<ModelName>Chaneru for Serviio</ModelName>

I'm sending the model name of the media server to Google so I can get some usage figures.
The way it was, didn't reflect that it was actually Serviio.

mkiker2089

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 am

greubel wrote:
UPnP doesn't use port forwarding. But multicast has to be turned on in the router. The multicast addresses are in the range 224.0.0.0 through 239.255.255.255 and UPnP uses 239.255.255.250 port 1900. Each device has it's own period for issuing UPnP Notice messages BUT they should respond to UPnP SEARCH requests. Roku just changed their NOTIFY messages from once every 60 seconds to once every 20 minutes That is one reason I put code into the Chaneru server to accumulate UPnP devices it finds and periodically send it's list to all the Roku Chaneru apps. The Roku might not find them all but maybe the server will fill in the blanks faster.

I'm getting UPNP errors. Chaneru still works but there something wrong in my router I guess. If I first turn the PS3 on it has a hard time finding media servers and the network screen says UPNP failed. After 10 minutes or so if I check the same screen it works now. Same with my computer. When I first start it up UPNP fails with some different apps. If I let it sit for a while it works. Any ideas on that?

I remember my Netgear router had a setting to change the UPNP discovery time but the Belkin does not. Perhaps the discovery time is too long?

edit- it doesn't take 10 minutes to find the server on the PS3 I just have to scan for it, at around the 5-10 minute point though UPNP seems to come on which also seems to coincide with media servers magically appearing without me scanning for them.
-Marshall-

greubel

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:06 am

Can you get me a Chaneru log trace ?
Send it to - support@chaneru.com

Sandbox

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:55 pm

1: Supports DLNA but it has had a somewhat limited test and the discover feature when the actual Chaneru server is not running can be intermittent and on the Roku 1s sometimes the DLNA device is not detected. The channel has not been tested much with actual DLNA server device but has been tested with DLNA servers. See the above link for what has been tested.

I noticed that a Chaneru server is provided for Windows and OSX, and that some non-Chaneru DLNA servers can be used with the Chaneru client. Since I am setting up a router to act as a media server, I will be using some version of Linux and not OSX or Windows.

The router software I will use (probably DD-WRT) supports Mini DLNA and I plan on using that DLNA server for all of my non-Roku devices.

* Does the Chaneru Roku client support Mini DLNA or any other Linux streaming server (DLNA compatible or not)?

I can't tell what non-Chaneru server software the Chaneru client is compatible with. (The Chaneru 2.0 beta site lists off some embedded hardware but does not mention what software is running to support DLNA.)

[ Notes: Only the router and the Roku device will be running along with non-Roku devices such as tablets and laptops/desktops (Linux, not Windows or OSX). While the Optware repository does include VLC, I don't plan on doing any re-encoding of the media on the server. Mini DLNA: http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna , Optware: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware packages . ]

greubel

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Here is a list of reported media servers (by model name) that have been used or tried in the last couple of days.
Windows Media Player Sharing
USB Drive
Chaneru 2.0.6.2
TwonkyMedia Server
Chaneru 2.0.6.3
TwonkyServer
Plex Media Server
Serviio Media Server
Chaneru 2.0.6.1
Windows Media Connect compatible
Windows Media Connect compatible (MiniDLNA)
Chaneru DLNA for Roku
DNS-323
MediaTomb
LinkStation
Tonido Media Server
PMS
Windows MediaMall Server
Chaneru 2.0
Chaneru 2.0.4.1
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7360 SL (UI)
HDHomeRun Prime Tuner
MediaServer
TVMOBiLi Media Server V2.1.0.4118
Vuze Media Server
Logitech Media Server 7.7.2 r33893
M-DMS
Samsung AllShare PC S/W Server
SmartStor Media Server
Windows Media Connect Compatible (uShare)
XBMC Media Center
Chaneru
Chaneru for Serviio
DNS-320
Mezzmo Media Server
Serviio (Chaneru)
TVMOBiLi | MediaServer
TVMOBiLi.MediaServer
Windows Media Connect compatible (NETGEAR WNDR3800)
ALLPlayer Server
Chaneru 2.0.5.1
DS413
MyNetN900
PC
TMS
Windows Media Connect compatible (ReadyDLNA)

If your server doesn't work, send me a log trace from the Chaneru app.
Transcoded files that are streamed do not work. If your media server will hard transcode to a mp4 container, it should.
Roku only streams HLS and Smooth Stream.

mkiker2089

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 pm

I got a Belklin Homebase to see if that server worked better. There are no real options and it's a very simple hardware unit. It works fine to the PS3 and my computers as a Media Server but not the Chaneru channel.

- the icon is a UPNP logo with a question mark in it
- when I open the server I get error 500
-if I wait then I get an empty folder error

Any idea where to start on this one?
-Marshall-

greubel

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 pm

The UPnP logo with a question mark, says that the server did not provide an icon or I didn't locate it.
There are mixed web reviews on the Homebase as a media server, some couldn't get it to work.

Could you turn on logging ?
Click play/pause and select the right most icon in the control bar (looks like a gear). Should bring up the Options page.

Restart the Roku app, you should get a "Logging is On" display.
Then after you get the 500 error, open a browser and download the log file. ( set the url to the Roku-IPaddress:12345 )
Then either save the page or copy it into a text editor.

Send the log to support@chaneru.com

mkiker2089

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Done, the Belkin server is crap anyway so I'll probably try to get my 40 dollars back out of it. It doesn't seem to support thumbnails at all. I just don't like using my router as a media server but I may have to live with it.
-Marshall-