Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Gilgamesh
Topic Author

Chaneru DLNA Beta avalable

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 am

I have been beta testing Chaneru 2.0 for some time and I find there are many features that are potentially of great interest to many here so I thought I should enumerate some of them.

First I want to point out that this version is still a beta but it is pretty stable. If you use it you should expect fairly frequent updates and you should expect to encounter a few glitches.

You can get it through: http://www.chaneru.com/DLNA/

Note: I am not the author of this channel and, therefore, some of my views may conflict a bit with the developer.

The features of note: (I may miss a few)

1: Supports DLNA but it has had a somewhat limited test and the discover feature when the actual Chaneru server is not running can be intermittent and on the Roku 1s sometimes the DLNA device is not detected. The channel has not been tested much with actual DLNA server device but has been tested with DLNA servers. See the above link for what has been tested.

2: Remembers last episode played. That is when you enter a directory to play a video the last one played (or the next one to be played) will already be highlited.

3: Episode auto advance. After you complete playing an episode of a series adt the video exits back to the menu it will automatically advance to the next episode.

4: Movie info on pressing the * key. When a movie is highlited if you press the * key the movie info is displayed. You do not have to do anything special for this to work as it will access IMDB and/or a couple of other internet databases but you can, as I do, use NFO files created by Thumbgen ( See http://thumbgen.org/ )

5: When showing movie info can optionally show MovieSheets see http://thumbgen.org/

6: Supports bif files.

7: Will transcode avi files and others. Uses VLC on the serving computer for this. Although I have not tested it I think that transcoding via the DLNA server should work.

8: Extremely easy to install and set up. The server is one executable file that automatically creates the needed configuration files and allows setting up and choosing media locations. All you have to do is copy the server program to a place where you want to run it and then run it and choose a couple of setup options and you are good to go.

9: The server will serve files from local directories, mapped drives and network shares. That is in every case I have tested the server will successfully serve any file that can be seen on the network.

10: Seems to require very little power on the serving computer unless you are transcoding. Even then it seems to do a better job that any other solution I have tried as, for example, Plex bogs the computer down when transcoding an avi while Chaneru using VLC to transcode the same file works fine. NOTE: It is always better to convert the file into a compatible format than to rely on transcoding.

There are some things to be aware of as well:

1: Chaneru is not free. There is a 30 day trial period then it is a one time $10.00 fee.

2: There are still some glitches but they are being worked on and the developer will welcome any bug reports/comments/suggestions/requests that anyone cares to offer.

3: Large file numbers (1000+) seem slow to get loaded but are fine after getting loaded.

4: It is better to wait for all the red dots (indicating loading of a directory) to go away before accessing a sub-directory.

Edit to add 5: Chaneru uses the remote in non-standard ways and that takes a bit to get used to but it becomes second nature after a short while. Chaneru looks so different that you quickly associate the appearance with the proper key strokes.

I can strongly recommend Chaneru 2.0 particularly for those owning a lot of TV series I use it exclusively for my TV episodes. However I also use Roksbox for most of my movies but I must admit that Chaneru has the potential to become my sole local streaming solution.

Last Note: I have a total of almost 3000 mp4 files both movies and TV and sometimes any feeling of slowness in any local streaming channel may be related to that large number.

BTW: I will see to it that any comments posted here reach the developer.

greubel

Re: Chaneru DLNA Beta avalable

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Chaneru 2.0 will be freely available until it goes public in the Roku Channel Store.

castalla

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:04 am

Can't find any devices - no server running.

Gilgamesh
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am

castalla wrote:
Can't find any devices - no server running.

What server are you running? If it is the Chaneru server go into options and verify the the ip address field is correct. It should be the address of the computer it is running on.

If you are running a DLNA server Which one is it?

Follow these steps:

Start the Chaneru 2.0 channel

After the Roku channel starts: Press "Play" (Not the select key)

When the menu comes up at the bottom of the screen press the Left arrow to select the "*" symbol at the far right of the screen. (The menu wraps)

Press select on that star icon.

Toward the bottom of the screen see the section Labeled "UPnP DLNA"

If it is off then scroll down to it ad press select the select "On"

Press "Rewind" to exit the settings screen then press "Home" to exit the channel

Reenter the channel and see if it finds your server

castalla

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 am

Thanks.

Switching UPnP on finds the server - data-loading .... exits to home screen.

Will test with a different server later today & report back.

Gilgamesh
Topic Author

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 am

castalla wrote:
Thanks.

Switching UPnP on finds the server - data-loading .... exits to home screen.

Will test with a different server later today & report back.

You might want to get it running with the Chaneru server. That way we can be sure that any network shares you have are being found. Note that if a share can be read as a drive or accessed via a network address then the Chaneru server can serve it.

Also the developer needs to know if a particular DLNA device/server works or does not work so posting what you have tested would help.

The Chaneru server running can "Help" the channel with DLNA discovery and operation so any DLNA server that behaves poorly could be helped by the Chaneru server running. Note that the Chaneru server does not need to be running on the same computer as the DLNA server to help the channel handle DLNA just the same network.

The developer is trying quite hard to get this all working correctly so he needs as much info as possible.

castalla

Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 am

Okay ... working with Logitech 7.7.2 server - but no album art

Not working with Huawei Home Media Server (located on router) - loads data and exits

Not working with Samsung All Share on win7 PC - loads data and exits

I find the double folder listing a bit confusing - why are there 2 folders for every category?

The background colour is a hideous vomit yellow!

greubel

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

1. Uploaded new app for Samsung All Share. There were two problems, quoted text and picking wrong stream format for audio.
Played video, photos and music.
2. Not detecting any artwork from Logitech server ???
3. Need to try Huawei.
4. The second folder says that the main has subfolders. Maybe I should change the first icon to represent that fact.
5. The background should be a brushed gold metallic effect. But because I may run out of room for code, I set it to a very low resolution to keep app size down.
So it looks like crap for now.

Thanks for the test !

castalla

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 am

Cheers - will continue testing - I assume the app will just be autoupgraded ...

greubel

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes, just go in and out of the Roku Channel Store.

prchohan

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi everyone, this may be far fetched but can someone tell me if this works with HDHomeRun Prime? For those of you who are not into HDHomeRun, they released new firmware with DLNA a month ago. I currently have Windows Media Center and am really looking forward to getting Roku as a replacement for all my media needs (live tv is important to me hence the DLNA support question on Roku). I'll wait to hear from you all. Thanks.

castalla

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:56 am

Samsung All Share works fine now.

I still find the double folder display very clumsy.

I recently removed java so my Serviio isn't working - I'll reinstall & test.

So far, so good!

Gilgamesh
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:44 am

prchohan wrote:
Hi everyone, this may be far fetched but can someone tell me if this works with HDHomeRun Prime? For those of you who are not into HDHomeRun, they released new firmware with DLNA a month ago. I currently have Windows Media Center and am really looking forward to getting Roku as a replacement for all my media needs (live tv is important to me hence the DLNA support question on Roku). I'll wait to hear from you all. Thanks.

I would suggest you test it. If you does not work then you have lost nothing but time. If it works then it is all good.

Gilgamesh
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:55 am

castalla wrote:
Samsung All Share works fine now.

I still find the double folder display very clumsy.

I recently removed java so my Serviio isn't working - I'll reinstall & test.

So far, so good!

I doubt you will get Servio to work, I could not. But you might have success where I did not and then we will have another DLNA server that works and that is a good thing.

BTW: I also do not much like the double folder but you get used to it, at least I did. You also mentioned the background color. I never really found it to be distracting but a different, more subdued, color might be good. Something like a nice "Light steel blue" or something else. I do prefer a subdued background to a bright one. But I spend very little time staring at the screen so it really does not mater much as long as there is good contrast.

castalla

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 am

Serviio NOT recognised.