Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

NathanWhitehead
Topic Author

New Channel: Electric Sheep ebook reader

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Ever wanted to read books on your television? No? It's actually kind of fun. Try out my new experimental channel "Electric Sheep" to see how you like it.

To add the channel, follow this link:
https://owner.roku.com/add/ElectricSheep
After visiting the link, enter and exit the Channel Store on your Roku and it should show up quickly.

Right now the channel has three of my favorite science fiction books:

"Accelerando" by Charles Stross
"Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow
"For the Win" by Cory Doctorow

All the books are free to read thanks to the generosity of the authors releasing the books under a Creative Commons license.

Using the channel should be intuitive. Once you are reading, you can press "left" and "right" to flip pages. You can also press "OK" to advance a page. There are three different color tints, you can cycle between them by pressing "*". I like the darker tint when reading at night.

Let me know what you think!

You can reply here or send me an email at: sheep@lessontastic.com

Gilgamesh

Re: New Channel: Electric Sheep ebook reader

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm

The only way this might have value for me is if it could read and display local files and also if it could play background music from my local system while I am reading.

RickRansom

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
The only way this might have value for me is if it could read and display local files and also if it could play background music from my local system while I am reading.

+1 on reading from personally owned ebooks. My boss would really love this. Ambient music in the background is nice.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Awesome :). Great name too! I read (and really enjoyed) "Little Brother", but "For The Win" and "Accelerando" will both be new to me. I won't have a chance to play with the channel for a couple of days, but when I get the chance, I'll give it a try and send you any feedback I can.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

wzwor

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Way to attack a niche!

I've installed the channel and it works well enough, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I would love this to have a library of children's favorites with each word highlighted as it is read. I wouldn't mind falling asleep to a story teller. It would be a great way to get kids of less literate parents to begin to enjoy reading. It would be cool if it accessed local files so that teachers could put a book on the screen for discussion in the classroom.
Last edited by wzwor on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

DerekHelps

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Nice concept. Checked out for a minute.

One feature suggestion if you decide to take it outside of concept only, offer the user a method to change font size.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

fredneck

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Nice job, that is some real thinking outside the roku box. :D Would be interesting if it could also be an audio book reader. Great storyteller when the grandkids come by for a visit and I fall asleep before they do during story time.
Forwarded your channel on to mkvXstream to add it to their list.
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels

wrigleyy

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 am

there is already an audio book channel on roku ... libravox ... its books from around 100 years ago or so..whose copyrights have expired ..i have it on my roku ..

Gilgamesh

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 am

wrigleyy wrote:
there is already an audio book channel on roku ... libravox ... its books from around 100 years ago or so..whose copyrights have expired ..i have it on my roku ..

and any channel that plays local mp3s can be used for playback of audio books locally but, and it is a huge ugly but, no audio channel, including the Libravox one, offers fast forward/rewind/resume. Without those features, which Roku says they cannot offer for mp3s, audiobook playback is little more than a novelty.

Because of this lack I have had to create a customized computer user interface for a couple of my vision impaired friends when a Roku channel would have been much easier.