Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

phoenix42

Re: Roku 3 Power Supply Specs??

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 am

1/ Find local electrical nerd or geek.
2/ Have them plug in Roku3 power supply and measure output. It will either go puff and let out all the magic smoke, or provide the correct power.
3/ Go home, and hopefully plug in new Roku and smile. In either case, chill and have a beer.

pbridges

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 am

A UK user unknowingly plugged theirs in without checking and said that it works fine on their 230V mains.

Seems like an accidental or deliberate mislabelling then, I guess.

I'll plug one of mine in when I get home on Friday and see how I go. Unless another Aussie takes one for the team before then.

DaveK64

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:04 am

pbridges wrote:
I'll plug one of mine in when I get home on Friday and see how I go. Unless another Aussie takes one for the team before then.

Nah.. you have 3, so we're waiting for you to test... that way at least you will still have 2 left :lol:

RE the UK guy, sounds very promising and something to watch... Hopefully he'll post updates to let us know how its performing.

Burkhardi

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 pm

pbridges wrote:
A UK user unknowingly plugged theirs in without checking and said that it works fine on their 230V mains.

Seems like an accidental or deliberate mislabelling then, I guess.

I have seen things rated for 120 work on 208 mains but after a while the reservoir cap gives up the ghost and it's stops working. I may tare into one [R3 wall-wart] when my unit come this week and take one for the team...
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

RokuGreg
Roku Engineering

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 pm

The Roku 3 power adapter is rated at 110V because we are only selling Roku3 in the US at this time.

We understand that the power adapter manufacturer may publish a higher rating for the same model number in other places or in other products. For ours, it is based on 110V which we warranty.

If / when we take Roku3 international we will of course support 220v. Roku has not tested the current supply at 220V and therefore we do not recommend using it at 220V.

For those of you who wish to do things outside Roku's recommendations, we do state in the product specifications that the Roku3 runs on 12V @ 1A, center positive.
Obligatory warning statement: If you decide to use an non-Roku supplied power supply, or use our supply at a non-recommended input voltage, this may void your warranty and it may also not meet regulatory requirements for use in your country.

We apologize for any miscommunication that may have been provided to you before.

RokuGreg

DaveK64

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 pm

@RokuGreg: whilst this is very disappointing news, and a real let down that ROKU hasn't provided a 110 to 240v power adapter like they have for V1 & 2... I do appreciate you posting here the "official verdict" on the power supply adapter.

onlyonetango
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks RokuGreg for making that clear. Least we can run our Roku 3's or "smoke generators" - take your pick. :lol:

I will put mine on the test bench and see what happens. I will rather run mine from a "locally supplied" AC/DC converter and void the warranty.

Will report back for all the other "Saffies" that might be on this forum and that might want to know the outcome.

DaveK64

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:17 pm

An Australian user has now confirmed the power unit works on 240v on a local forum.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... &p=14#r277

A great result. So that is now a confirmed UK user on 230v and an Aust user on 240v reporting no issues or concerns with the new Roku 3 straight out of the box and into local power supplies.

Burkhardi

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 am

He [whirlpool guy] just said it works as in it has not failed/blown up yet; not that it functions correctly as in it was designed for it.

As I said, I have seen some (not many) PSU's rated for 110 work on 208 (I know wer are talking 220 and not 208, but I am just talking about the example I have seen) for a while, then blow up the reservoir cap (most PSUs will smoke off the bat, but I have seen some work for almost 6 months, but that is a dangerous place to be). Also, as RokuGreg pointed out, if it's note rated for it, regardless of what it can do, you are misusing it in the event there is a catastrophic failure then you don't have a leg to stand on in case of personal loss.

They may be right about the label but I have also seen OEM's change things and not change the PN or revision number and I work for a semiconductor company that makes us qualify any non vendor supplied part even though it's from the OEM with the same PN and REV; just to avoid a down event due to this.

If it were I, I would find a wall-wart rated at 12v 1amp that says it can take the 220v input or verify the reservoir cap is ~400v and not ~200v (and there is more to it then that, so don't think you can just change the cap out to a 400v one if it's 200v and your good to go, the circuit needs to be designed for the wide input range and the cap value is just a sign). The proof is in the pudding, check the resivor cap and that will tell you, but remember, you are still using it past the recommended rating as far as CYA goes. ALso, that proof is not 100% either unless you know the design, the OEM may have run out of 200v caps during a run and used 400v to keep the run going and since it's overrated it will work just fine, I have seen this too.

So in closing, I would find a third party wall-wart that is rated for the input voltage you need and use it just as cheap insurance...

As always, just my 2-cents worth and your mileage may vary, Matt

DaveK64 wrote:
An Australian user has now confirmed the power unit works on 240v on a local forum.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... &p=14#r277

A great result. So that is now a confirmed UK user on 230v and an Aust user on 240v reporting no issues or concerns with the new Roku 3 straight out of the box and into local power supplies.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

pbridges

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 am

I bought 12VAC 1A plug packs for my three Roku 3's from Jaycar (the kind with the interchangeable connections), and they didn't work with any of the connection add-ons I tried.

So I plugged in the Roku supplied plug packs with US-AU converters/adapters, and they all work fine. The Jaycar plugs will be going back for a refund. No idea why they wouldn't work if the specs matched up.

If anyone finds a tried and tested Aussie plug pack for the Roku 3, I'd buy some for peace of mind. But right now, the Rokus are running fine. They actually run cooler than my three LT's did.

pbridges

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:59 am

Burkhardi -- how does one go about checking the reservoir cap on the supplied adapter?

I'd like to check, but have no idea what I'm looking for or where/how to find it.

__5
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 am

pbridges wrote:
...The Jaycar plugs will be going back for a refund. No idea why they wouldn't work if the specs matched up....

Make sure the plug type polarity: [Center positive]
symbol ( -C•+ ) Center tip is [+] Barrel is [-]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:idea: FYI, did you know HDMI 1.4 specification have now five HDMI cable types to choose from. read here.

Mark12547

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 am

pbridges wrote:
I bought 12VAC 1A plug packs for my three Roku 3's from Jaycar (the kind with the interchangeable connections), and they didn't work with any of the connection add-ons I tried.

The Roku 3's need 12V Direct Current from a power supply that can provide 1 amp at that voltage.

I haven't heard of a device designed for being powered by a DC source being able to handle AC. For one thing, a device designed for DC power probably wouldn't have a rectifying circuit with a filter to smooth out the voltage.

DaveK64

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:53 pm

pbridges wrote:
I plugged in the Roku supplied plug packs with US-AU converters/adapters, and they all work fine. They actually run cooler than my three LT's did.

Yes, there's half a dozen people now all running Roku adapters on 240v. All good, no issues, no additional power supply needed.

Power Adapter Model FA1201000SUC

tnaseem

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 am

Hi All,

I came here after doing a cursory Google search for an Aus/NZ PSU for my Roku 3 that just turned up from Amazon... So, um, hello. :)

@DaveK64,

It's funny actually, my PSU only states 110V (not 100-240V like yours), but the model number is exactly the same! The engineer in me was telling me not to plug it in. However, being an impatient sort with a new toy, I threw caution to the wind and plugged the bugger in anyway...

BANG!! is not what happened. It's actually working fine :)

Although, I'll be looking for a local PSU for it anyway...

Cheers peeps.