Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cranko

Re: Roku 3 remote losing connection after hours

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:40 pm

This is not good..I'm having the same issue and have to restart Roku 3 everytime the remote lost connection.

damepartridge

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I just received my Roku 3. This forum is mind-blowing. I'm a mother of three - not a technical expert. I had a first generation Roku for years that worked great with various routers until recently. I ordered the newest Roku (I have a Balking N150 Wireless Router Model F9K1001V4) and it isn't working at all. I have:

1) correctly connected the Roku3 and then unplugged and reconnected
2) unplogged and reconnected the router and modem several times
3) checked the forums and customer service on this site and read about all kinds of confusing language (router resetting - LAN pings and WAN pings).

I am currently watching videos on youtube and attempting to change the router settings online (192.168.2.1) - but I can't find "LAN" ping - only "WAN pings". I will enable this, but it says it compromises my security.

I feel frustrated and expect better from this company. I am a grammar teacher - i shouldn't have to become an overnight router expert to get the darn thing started. If anyone can help me, please do. It did connect once, but soon after it lost connection. That is even more confusing to me. Thanks,

Infamou5760

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 am

I am having the same remote issue as well. It randomly stops working and I have to reset the Roku to get the remote working again. I sure hope this is fixed soon, otherwise I will be seeking a refund for the device as well as the 2 year extended RokuCare warranty I purchased for it.

horrocks

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 am

I had a similar problem. I am running wireless. I found that when ever I went to settings and checked my connection, my remote would stop working as well as stop after running a few minutes. I moved my router closer to my Roku 3 to assure I have an excellent signal level which I do. My wireless signal strength at the Roku is about -45 dBm which is strong. I called tech support and they recommended I change my wireless channel to no higher than 9 (2.4 GHz band). I did this, stopped checking my wireless connection and now it appears I have a rock solid remote connection. I have yet to sit down and watch an entire movie, but, for the past 2 days, every time I go to see if the Roku is operating correctly, it is.

horrocks

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 am

An Update:

Watched a 2 hour movie on Amazon Instant Video. Wonderful. Remote is rock solid. The Roku 3 is very fast and I love the number of channels. I found a Shutterfly app and now I can see all my photos on my 70" TV and photo to photo is fast. No long load wait times. Further, I was concerned about the picture quality on Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video. I had low resolution problems with earlier Rokus. This Roku 3 is fantastic. As long as the content is HD, the picture look great. I am very satisfied with this device. And, I like the fact that I do not have to point the remote at the module to get it to communicate. Running on wifi direct is super.

stexupery

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 am

My remote has been the most frustrating part of my new Roku 3. I have not owned any previous versions of Roku, and I expected everything to work smoothly based on Roku's claims. But the remote loses connection to the unit at random times, forcing me to power cycle and wait for the unit to reboot. I'm tempted to return the unit as defective, unless there is more confirmation that this a known issue and will be resolved through a firmware update soon.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 am

stexupery wrote:
My remote has been the most frustrating part of my new Roku 3. I have not owned any previous versions of Roku, and I expected everything to work smoothly based on Roku's claims. But the remote loses connection to the unit at random times, forcing me to power cycle and wait for the unit to reboot. I'm tempted to return the unit as defective, unless there is more confirmation that this a known issue and will be resolved through a firmware update soon.

I've had zero issues with my Roku 3 or its wifi remote.

Now, about your situation, since the remote is wifi and not IR, there is the chance that something else is interferring with it. You could try turning off other wireless devices and see if the problem goes away.

Alternately, it could be the batteries. When the headphones are plugged in, they'll drain the battery, even if nothing's playing. You could try replacing the batteries and not use the headphones and see if the problem goes away.

Not saying it's one of those, but those are two things to rule out.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

horrocks

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 am

stexupery wrote:

Have you tried changing your wifi channel up to 9 ?

CanMan14

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Anyone know "why" the change to wifi? I've used my 2XS pretty much daily for 14 months now and the remote has worked flawlessly - haven't even needed to change the batteries yet.

Bluetooth definitely can support audio transmission (we can get bluetooth audio streaming in our cars after all). So why the change from bluetooth to wifi direct? just seems to me like they've introduced nothing but problems with wifi direct while the bluetooth was working fine.

trekkeriii

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm

CanMan14 wrote:
Bluetooth definitely can support audio transmission (we can get bluetooth audio streaming in our cars after all). So why the change from bluetooth to wifi direct? just seems to me like they've introduced nothing but problems with wifi direct while the bluetooth was working fine.

Might have to do with possible future Miracast support, granted that's mere speculation. I believe Miracast is based on Wi-Fi Direct.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

kc8pql

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:32 am

There have probably been just as many complaints about the Bluetooth remote.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 pm

There is the pervasive vudu issue with the BT remote but Vudu says it's not a BT issue but a fault in some Roku's wireless cards.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

what8ever

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 pm

I have a similar experience as the OP and a few other users. I received my Roku 3 (model 4200R) direct from Roku on March 14 and setup was great with 5GHz wifi. Even though it said the connection was "fair" watching Hulu+ that night was fine. The next day it would not connect to the 5Ghz band but 2.4 GHz was fine. Then, I did not use it for about a week. Not only did I have issues connecting, loading channels took a very long time or not at all. I changed to the 2.4 GHz band but still had issues. I tried different wifi channels, rebooted the router as well as the Roku unit many times. After an hour and a half, I gave up and watched on my computer, which connects all the time to 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. Tried the Roku 3 again the next evening and moved the Roku unit, which seemed to help a bit but I never had any issues with the Roku 2XS (connection was always "excellent"). Next night, I could not get out of the screensaver. Tried new batteries and iOS app to no avail. The only thing that worked was rebooting the unit. A few days later, the remote lost it's pairing two times while I was watching a movie.

Called tech support and eventually they offered to send me another unit, which I received and setup April 13. The model number of this unit is 4200X and the setup was a bit weird. Going through the setup steps, certain options were not available such as different themes and screensavers. Only the Roku defaults were listed. I saw the percentage of each of my channels load but when I went to My Channels list, there were NO channels. I rebooted the unit and them my channels showed as well as the other options for screensaver, themes, etc. All was well until today, April 20...once again I'm stuck in the screensaver mode. The batteries in the remote are still good. Rebooted unit and the 2.4Ghz connection is good. Having to reboot the unit all the time does not seem right... :(

Thanks to everyone with the issue posting their experience. Originally, I thought it was the unit but realized that since the screensaver showed the culprit was the remote. So, I'm adding my experience in hopes that Roku will work on this issue and keep this thread active.

what8ever

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:56 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Guys and gals, this is a known issue and is being looked at. Hopefully we'll have a fix out soon.

C. Shawn Smith

That was posted March 31, 2013. Any progress or ETA on the fix? Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially with such a short warranty period.

Buzzfuster

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:58 pm

I believe the theory a couple users have expressed is the culprit. So a question for anyone who is having either a problem with their remote maintianing pairing with the Roku 3, or who are experiencing intermittant audio dropout when they have headphones connected to the Roku 3 remote -

Q: Are you connecting your Roku to your broadband router / cable modem via WiFi, and if so, do you know whether it's 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, and which channel?

I'll bet 90% of the problems are with Roku 3's that are connected to the broadband router/cable modem via WiFi.

I strongly suspect the problem is because the Roku 3 remote uses WiFi Direct to connect to the box, whereas the Roku 2 XS uses Bluetooth (which is also 2.4 GHz), and the other models use infrared (if you have an infrared universal remote, you can test this by setting it up to operate your Roku 3, and whenever you lose pairing between your Roku remote and your Roku 3, try the universal remote - if it works, the problem is the WiFi connection between the Roku remote and the Roku 3).

The average US home now has about 7 WiFi connected devices, and in a typical home, you'll be able to detect 2-5 WiFi networks, including your own. Do tha math - that means there are anywhere from 14 to 35 devices all chattering away in the 2.4 GHz WiFi range. If you live in an apartment, the problem is much more magnified due to your proximity to other living units in a denser space. There are only 13 channels in the 2.4 GHz range, and every one of them partially overlaps at least 4 other channels. So there is almost always some interference, regardless of which channel you use (some more, some less). There are other devices that also create interference in the 2.4 GHz WiFi channels: baby monitors, bluetooth devices, some cordless phones, wireless speakers, and the most damaging culprit - microwave ovens. The Bluetooth remotes that come with the Roku 2 XS are less susceptible to this interference in part because they use a very narrow bit of bandwidth, and are far less likely to encounter as much inteference as a WiFi device (which uses a 20 MHz or 40 MHz wide channel, and therefore overlaps more of the other channels). The older Rokus that only use IR remotes are immune because they work at a totally different frequency range.

Streaming video is a bandwidth hog, especially in HD. So when you're streaming video over WiFi, you're really hammering the WiFi channel that your Roku 3 uses to talk to your router/modem. So it's entirely possible, perhaps even likely, that you're much more likely to lose pairing between your Roku 3 remote and your Roku since it's having to compete for that same limited bandwidth in the same channel (and who knows what channel your neighbors' WiFi is set to - the factory default for most WiFi routers are channels 1, 6, and 11).

Potential fixes:
1) Try connecting your Roku to your router via an Ethernet cable instead of via WiFi. If you don't have an Ethernet jack near your TV, you can try an Ethernet over Power adapter (you'll need a set of two). You plug one into an electrical outlet by your TV and plug your Roku box into the Ethernet jack on the adapter. You plug the other adapter into an electrical outlet (not a power strip) by your router, and connect the adapter to a LAN port on your router using an Ethernet cable. Voila! You now have an Ethernet connection. Works great, but the pair of adapters will run you somewhere between $80-$100. Big Box retail stores should all carry them.

2) Try changing the WiFi channel that your router / modem is broadcasting at. All of your devices should automatically change to whatever frequency your router/modem is broadcasting. In theory, channels 1, 6, and 11 have the least potential for overlap, but since they're the traditional defaults, they're also more likely to have high interference than the other channels. So, your next best options are channels 3 and 8. But keep in mind, they overlap with between 6 and 8 channels, respectively. Also keep in mind that microwave ovens really interfere with the higher channels when the microwave is turned on (this includes your neighbor's microwave).

3) If I'm right about the problem being WiFi inteference, there may not be any other solution. I don't know how Roku maintains pairing between the remote and the box - I presume it's some periodic "heartbeat" signal saying "I'm here, are you still there?" Roku might be able to issue a software update that extends the interval between those heartbeat signals so that the box and the remote don't say to each other "I don't see you anymore, I need a new partner to pair with me." Sounds kind of sad and lonely. This heartbeat / timeout could account for remotes losing pairing after an extended period of inactivity between the remote and the box.

4) Perhaps the other solution (if the problem is WiFi interference) is for Roku to issue new firmware that would separate the heartbeat / pairing between the remote and the box to the other WiFi frequency band that the streaming video is not using. For example, if your box is connecting to your router/modem using 2.4 GHz WiFi, the remote could talk to the box using the 5 GHz band. Or if your box is connecting to your router/modem using 5 GHz, the remote would talk to the box using the 2.4 GHz band (this is the optimal solution - 5 GHz is better for streaming HD video, and the heartbeat of the remote would otherwise be largely unaffected by interference in the 2.4 GHz band - it's the continual stream of video at the same frequency as the heartbeat signal that I think is the issue). The Roku 3 (and presumably the remote) have both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio - so why not try separating the signals?

As for the dropping audio - I am pretty certain that's also because of the WiFi interference. You have video (and audio) streaming from the router/modem via WiFi to the Roku 3, and then the Roku 3 streaming the audio to the remote (when headphones are plugged into the remote), presumably at the same frequency (having a WiFi device that can hop frequencies at the speed necessary for these two stream to be seperate would be pretty complicated and costly). So, the streaming video and the streaming audio are once again competing for the same limited bandwidth at the same frequency.

I have a spectrum analyzer I am going to try at home with a borrowed Roku 3 so I can see what's happening and whether I can see how much interference there is at the time. Kind of a needle in a haystack occurrence, but I'm pretty sure that's what's happening.

So - now that you know more about WiFi than you ever wanted to, how about it? How many of you who are having the remote pairing and/or audio dropping (headphones only) problem on the Roku 3 have your Roku connected to your broadband router/modem via WiFi?