Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MidgardDragon
Topic Author

Roku 3 remote losing connection after hours

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:52 pm

If I don't use the Roku 3 for many hours, such as when sleeping, the remote will lose connection and nothing short of rebooting the Roku will get it to re-pair. The white light that is on the Roku when in use is gone at this time too, and the screen saver is on.

MidgardDragon
Topic Author

Re: Roku 3 remote losing connection after hours

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm the only one then? This happened in like half an hour of inactivity the other day, though usually it manages to last longer than that. It's like the Roku 3 shuts down as an access point for the remote when the screensaver comes on, and only rebooting it gets it going again.

dwanthny

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 pm

All I can contribute is the relatively useless statement that I don't experience this problem. Even though the batteries are "new" it couldn't hurt to put in fresh batteries.

MidgardDragon
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 am

Happened again today after I came home from work. I'm curious what the light on the front of the device means, as my Roku 2 seemed to always have it on, while this one it turns off whenever this happens, but the device is clearly still on as the screensaver is showing. I guess I will be using the mobile app for a remote from now on unless I need the headphone jack.

Mark12547

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Just as a wild guess--what screensaver are you using when the problem occurs? If you are using a third-party screensaver, try a built-in screensaver to see if it changes its behavior. If you are already using a built-in screensaver, does the Roku 3 have an option to turn off the screensaver and, if so, does turning it off eliminate the problem?

As far as I am aware, the light on all of the Roku digitial video player models go out when the screensaver kicks in.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm

No help with your remote issue, but the light on the front should go off when the screensaver comes on. Your Roku 2 should behave the same way. If the light on your Roku 2 never goes off, you either have the screensaver disabled or there's something wrong with the box.

-JT

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

renojim wrote:
No help with your remote issue, but the light on the front should go off when the screensaver comes on. Your Roku 2 should behave the same way. If the light on your Roku 2 never goes off, you either have the screensaver disabled or there's something wrong with the box.

-JT

There was a thread a few weeks ago (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54743) from someone asking if it was normal that the light was on all the time (even when idle). He reported that the box worked fine otherwise.

daveinmaine

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I am having a similar problem, but it does not seem to equate to long idle periods, just happens randomly

MidgardDragon
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 pm

daveinmaine wrote:
I am having a similar problem, but it does not seem to equate to long idle periods, just happens randomly

This one has been occurring at random intervals too for the past couple of days, but before was only happening after long periods. I will test the screensaver, and have other information that I was asked to collect as well that I will forward on to Roku per request, when I arrive home from work later.

Regarding the screensaver, I would note that sometimes I get the clock as I expect it, and sometimes I just get "Roku" floating around. Not sure what causes it to pick up on the time sometimes and not others.

Mark12547

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm

MidgardDragon wrote:
sometimes I get the clock as I expect it, and sometimes I just get "Roku" floating around. Not sure what causes it to pick up on the time sometimes and not others.

I still have just the "Roku 1" (N1000), but I have noticed that if I am in the Netflix channel I'll get the bouncing Roku when the screensaver kicks in, but if I am at the home (channel) menu, I get the digital clock (my selected screensaver). If I'm going to be gone for an extended period of time (think: overnight), I go to the home menu (not wasting Internet traffic keeping the queue up to date); but if I am going to be away for a short time (think: quick run to the store), I may leave it in the Netflix channel.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 am

Guys and gals, this is a known issue and is being looked at. Hopefully we'll have a fix out soon.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

dwanthny

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:13 am

beq wrote:
I take it any replacements would have same problem (if it's the software or our wireless environment)? Or does the problem only affect certain hardware units?

Hardware? Environment? Firmware? Hard to say for sure. All I can contribute is the fact that this has never happened to me.

TheFloydman

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm

I am experiencing the same issue: the remote stops working at random times, and I have to perform a hard reset. Roku asked me to change the channel on my wireless router, but the issue has not been resolved.

Alwolf76

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 pm

I am experiencing the exact same problem here. We just got our Roku 3 a week ago. Had to hard reset at least once a day. Sometimes I will jiggle the batteries or press the button next to the batteries and that worked. It is frustrating and I am glad that I'm not the only one having this problem. It was while we were watching some shows on Hulu. The screen saver wasn't on during that time. Although the Roku had the white light on. I am still figuring out what the white light means.

mkiker2089

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 pm

beq wrote:
Is this a sleep/power save mode issue whereby the Wi-Fi Direct doesn't get re-established?

Or could the house Wi-Fi network interfere with the separate Wi-Fi Direct connection to the remote? Since the remote uses 5GHz, should I make sure the Roku unit uses 2.4GHz to connect to the router?

The remote uses the same channel as it's wifi connection. Rather that is wise or not has been debated. If you switch the Roku to 2.4 you switch the remote to 2.4 and vice versa. Actually having the remote on 5 and everything else on 2.4 would be really nice if they supported that. Alas they still don't. Last I heard they were gathering info about wifi interference caused by WiFi Direct which is turning out to be more than anticipated.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.