Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

reddice
Topic Author

The Roku Netflix UI is ugly.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Is anyone's else's Netflix UI as ugly as mine. The album art is fatter and not the right aspect ratio. Also it seems blurry. Coming from the PS3 which looks way better. At least it is faster than the PS3.

Wondering if there will be a update to take advantage of the Roku 3 processor?
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

Gilgamesh

Re: The Roku Netflix UI is ugly.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I would say that you should contact Netflix about how to improve their app. Netflix owns the channel. Roku only assists in its development if even that any more.

reddice
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Does the Roku Netflix UI use HTML5?
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 pm

reddice wrote:

No because Roku 2 doesn't support HTML5. Roku 3 might have HTML5 based apps in the future, Youtube being the biggie. Keep in mind Roku is not a powerful box, PS3 is. Roku was designed to stream video with as little resources as possible, requiring less wattage (saving power). I've seen worse interfaces for Netflix. Wii comes to mind.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

gonzotek

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:38 pm

reddice wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, the Roku Netflix UI is still powered by BrightScript, the programming language Roku uses for most channels. Can you post a screenshot of the aspect ratio problem (digital camera/phone is fine)?

As an anecdote, I was over a friends house a couple of weeks ago to do some pc maintenance and noticed her Roku output looked wrong(everything was squished from 16x9 to 4x3). I played with the Roku settings for a few minutes and couldn't fix it. The next time I was over it was still messed up and I spent some more time trying more things. Turns out it was an picture aspect setting on her tv that was to blame. She has an infant that likes to grab the remotes, and he has toggled it to the wrong setting more than once. They had even just watched a whole movie the previous evening with the picture zoomed in so everyone's heads were chopped off :-) So I showed her what the correct ratio should look like on Roku and which button was responsible, in case it gets changed again, and everything's been good since. Maybe that's nothing like what's wrong for you, but it's an example of how tricky it can be to troubleshoot these kinds of things.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

reddice
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Not on the computer so I can't post a screenshot. The aspect ratio on my TV is correct as watching a program it is right. At least with YouTube support coming soon which most likely use HTML5 there is hope for the Netflix UI.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

bozzy

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:24 pm

reddice wrote:
At least with YouTube support coming soon which most likely use HTML5 there is hope for the Netflix UI.

I have not heard anybody say that Youtube is coming soon.

kc8pql

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm

+1, only speculation that it may be possible on the R3. Nothing official from Roku.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

BradC

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm

what resolution do you have your roku set to? what does your TV support?
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

mikeyts

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:57 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Keep in mind Roku is not a powerful box, PS3 is.

The UI used in the PS3's player is common, on every other device that I own which plays Netflix other than the Win8 app, Silverlight web player and Xbox 360: PS3, TiVo Premiere, Sony BDP, Panasonic BDP and WD TV Live. I'm fairly sure that the BDPs and WD TV Live are not more powerful than a Roku--remember that Roku 2 runs the excellent common VUDU player app really quite well, which is no less complex than the common Netflix one, if not more complex.

Netflix tried a slew of HTML5/Webkit UIs out on the PS3 and that's the one they chose to standardize on across platforms. It's probably the best that they came up with whose memory footprint fit in the largest number of platforms. (My personal favorite was this one; it had an impressive number of genres and subgenres and would display up to 250 titles for each. The one they chose will do).

That being said, I think that the Roku's player is OK; it starts from the home screen quickest of all of mine (5 or 6 seconds), navigates smoothly and starts streams more quickly than anything that I have other than the PS3. I wouldn't call it "ugly", though it is kind of plain.

KennyJ

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 am

mikeyts wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:
Keep in mind Roku is not a powerful box, PS3 is.

The UI used in the PS3's player is common, on every other device that I own which plays Netflix other than the Win8 app, Silverlight web player and Xbox 360: PS3, TiVo Premiere, Sony BDP, Panasonic BDP and WD TV Live. I'm fairly sure that the BDPs and WD TV Live are not more powerful than a Roku--remember that Roku 2 runs the excellent common VUDU player app really quite well, which is no less complex than the common Netflix one, if not more complex.

Netflix tried a slew of HTML5/Webkit UIs out on the PS3 and that's the one they chose to standardize on across platforms. It's probably the best that they came up with whose memory footprint fit in the largest number of platforms. (My personal favorite was this one; it had an impressive number of genres and subgenres and would display up to 250 titles for each. The one they chose will do).

That being said, I think that the Roku's player is OK; it starts from the home screen quickest of all of mine (5 or 6 seconds), navigates smoothly and starts streams more quickly than anything that I have other than the PS3. I wouldn't call it "ugly", though it is kind of plain.

Tivo has that Netflix UI.... to be honest, I prefer the Roku UI. Some of it may be just that I'm used to the Roku... but on a more objective level, the Rokus is way faster than Tivo (both loading and navigation).

With that said... I dont see what the OP sees on my roku:
album art is fatter and not the right aspect ratio. Also it seems blurry.

Frankp999

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 am

Is there any way to sort the Netflix queue on Roke3? At least a sort on Title in alphabetical order would be better than the random jumble I now have in my queue.

Gilgamesh

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 am

Frankp999 wrote:
Is there any way to sort the Netflix queue on Roke3? At least a sort on Title in alphabetical order would be better than the random jumble I now have in my queue.

Take a look at The Netflix Queue Sorter.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/35183

I use it and it works fine. Of course you run it on your computer not your Roku.

dboff01

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
Frankp999 wrote:

Take a look at The Netflix Queue Sorter.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/35183

I use it and it works fine. Of course you run it on your computer not your Roku.

I do all my Netflix queue sorting at the Netflix website.

mkiker2089

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:30 am

reddice wrote:
Is anyone's else's Netflix UI as ugly as mine. The album art is fatter and not the right aspect ratio. Also it seems blurry. Coming from the PS3 which looks way better. At least it is faster than the PS3.

Wondering if there will be a update to take advantage of the Roku 3 processor?

You've got a setting wrong somewhere. Verify your Roku is set to the highest HD your TV accepts and that your TV isn't stretching the picture. It sounds like it is. The aspect should be set to wide.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.