Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jnaeve
Topic Author

NEW ROKU3 - Network Connectivity Question

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 am

I just received my new ROKU3 and was going through the setup routine. I'm no novice to network or IP protocols but I'm really struggling as to why my ROKU3 won't connect to the Internet. I'm on line with my tech support team who manage my router but at the moment, ROKU3 both (1) Recognizes its connected to an Ethernet router but cannot negotiate beyond that -and- (2) ROKU3 Signs on to my hidden SSID and is given a valid authentication but again, it won't negotiate beyond that.

My configuration is through a company corporate remote office solution where I've got VLAN-1 which supports corporate connectivity and VLAN-2 which supports ancillary connectivity not routed through the corporate network. Through VLAN-2 I have 3-AppleTV's, Vonage IP Phone, Printers, 3 Home Computers and DirecTV DVR's with IP connectivity. I know our company IT team do prevent certain protocols from connecting but with all I have connected now, I don't see how ROKU3 wouldn't be supported within the current provisions.

I have looked all through roku.com/support and all I get is basic connectivity responses and general WiFi 101, I need something deeper and really don't want to route my tech support questions through someone who doesn't speak English. My patience, if you can't tell, is worn real thin right now.

By the way, this is the 3rd ROKU I've owned. I purchased one about 3 years ago, had a lot of trouble keeping it connected and sent it back. About a year ago, I learned there was a newer ROKU that would do better so I ordered that one thinking it would be more stable. It wasn't, still had connectivity issues where it wouldn't reconnect to my WiFi network when I started it back up from sleep mode. After reading some reviews, I now have the ROKU3 but have begun to realize that network connectivity isn't one of their strong suits.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!
Regards,
Jim

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: NEW ROKU3 - Network Connectivity Question

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 am

Probably a router setting
LAN side Pings should be enabled
Try temporarily disabling any Router firewall that may be running.
Try temporarily disabling security on the router.
Let us know the brand and model of your router.

jnaeve
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 am

I'm trying to go through Ethernet instead of WiFi. The router I'm working with is a Cisco 891 CVO (Remote Office) router. The "open" ports for personal networking are verified wide open by my IT organization and they said there shouldn't be anything preventing this from connecting to the Internet. Trouble is, I'm not able to connect to the router and control it, that part is out of my hands. I've been around and around with this solution and finally got things to work just fine until now. I have Verizon FiOS as my provider and do not have an interim router between my Cisco CVO and the Verizon FiOS ONT on the side of my home - straight Ethernet from glass to router.

That said, I don't know what else to consider at this point.

trekkeriii

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:49 am

Type the following key sequence on Roku:
[HOME] 5 times, [FF], [PLAY],[REW],[PLAY],[FF]

Click on "Disable Network Ping". Hopefully this will get you around the issue.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Gilgamesh

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:59 am

Try this: (Ignore what happens on the screen during these key presses)
At the main menu press: (Be sure to use the ff, rw and play keys not the keypad direction keys)
Home Button 5 times
FF 1 time
Play 1 time
RW 1 time
Play 1 time
FF 1 time

Then from that menu select "Disable network pings"

The report back with the results.

EDIT: trekkeriii is faster than I. :oops: :mrgreen:

jnaeve
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I did just as you said, Home button 5x, ff 1x, play 1x, rew 1x, play 1x, ff 1x => "Platform Secret Screen"

Disable Network Pings isn't a selection I can choose.

I have:
"System Reboot"
"WiFi Remote Menu"
"WiFi Secret Screen"
"Back"

philsoft

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Try WiFi secret screen

jnaeve
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:19 pm

I've looked at all options available from that screen and have not found anything allowing me to disable network pings

Gilgamesh

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:25 pm

That set of key presses brings up a menu that should include "Disable Network Pings" along with the others you listed.

I have never seen an exception. (I have helped set up 6 Roku 3s) However that does not mean that there could not be an exception after all 6 is not really a very representative sample. :? :wink:

The "WiFi secret screen" has nothing to do with network pings.

Since I do not know why that item would be missing I will have to defer to someone with greater knowledge. Maybe someone from Roku can chime in to help.

jnaeve
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 pm

I spent the last 40 minutes with ROKU Support and the Level 1 tech was of no assistance at all except successfully annoying me with scripted questions that are inapplicable in my situation.

Here are the steps I've taken to this point:
1) Attempted network config of both WiFi and Ethernet connectivity.
2) Validated my Ethernet connection as working properly
- Connected my laptop to that cable, obtained IP address, surfed the Internet and had no issues.
- Connected AppleTV to that same cable, obtained IP address, was able to successfully connect to Apple and view movies.
3) Rebooted router just for grins
4) Performed Factory Reset on ROKU3 from on-screen menu
5) Used the Reset Button in back of ROKU3, held in for 45 seconds for hard reset.
6) Powercycled the ROKU3 6x
7) Followed through with your previous request

At this point, this ROKU does not want to obtain an IP address even though all my other devices have no issues getting one from this same port.

Disabling Network Pings seems logical to me - I have no idea how to get to that feature. I need to walk away from this after nearly 4 hours of playing around with this silly thing, I'm about to ship it back - again!

RickRansom

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:04 pm

jnaeve wrote:
Disabling Network Pings seems logical to me - I have no idea how to get to that feature.

Connect the Roku to a different network and install it there. Once it's updated to the latest software, you should have the disable network pings feature, or at least that'll tell us it's not the roku itself. Sorry to see you're having this much trouble setting it up, mine was rather painless. :cry:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

Gilgamesh

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 pm

RickRansom wrote:
jnaeve wrote:
Disabling Network Pings seems logical to me - I have no idea how to get to that feature.

Connect the Roku to a different network and install it there. Once it's updated to the latest software, you should have the disable network pings feature, or at least that'll tell us it's not the roku itself. Sorry to see you're having this much trouble setting it up, mine was rather painless. :cry:

That is a good idea. It is possible the the menu suggested does not include "Disable Network Pings" until after the first software update.

A neighbor's or a friends network that is not locked down so tight could be used just to get the first update then after that the Roku may be more cooperative.

jnaeve
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Hmmm, easier said than done

Don't you think its a little strange that buying a ROKU3 directly from ROKU would include the latest version of software?

kc8pql

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:45 pm

^ New boxes don't ship with full firmware. They just have what they need to connect and download the current version.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

jnaeve
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Okay...

First I want to say thanks to all who so quickly respond to this request... I really appreciate it!

----

I just went to my neighbors home and connected without issue. I downloaded the software/firmware updates and loaded the apps. After I saw everything working, I went to the secret menu and found the item "Disable Network Pings" - so I disabled it. It now reads "Enable Network Pings".

After doing this, I rebooted the ROKU which after coming up, still cannot connect to either Ethernet nor WiFi.

I'm baffled as to why I can't connect to the network.

To reiterate --- My iPads, iPhones, Laptops and AppleTV's all connect to my wireless network (via new Apple Airport Extreme) and have no trouble connecting to the Internet. I also connected my laptop to the Ethernet cable I'm trying to use on my ROKU3 and have no trouble connecting to the Internet but when I connect ROKU3 to that same cable, it cannot connect.

ROKU3 acknowledges connectivity to both Wireless and Ethernet but won't go any further.

Any other ideas??