Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Medsport
Topic Author

unplugging roku

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:50 am

I just found out AMC is having a walking dead marathon showing all shows from the beginning starting tomorrow. I thought I'd unplug the Roku and plug the VCR back in a record it. I hope my old VCR won't eat the tapes, although it usually only does it when playing if you pause or rewind. Anyway, since it took three tries to get the Roku to connect with my router I'm hesitant to unplug it. What do you have to do when plugging it back in? I'm hoping it will connect automatically or do you have to set it up again with the router?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: unplugging roku

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:18 am

Medsport wrote:
I just found out AMC is having a walking dead marathon showing all shows from the beginning starting tomorrow. I thought I'd unplug the Roku and plug the VCR back in a record it. I hope my old VCR won't eat the tapes, although it usually only does it when playing if you pause or rewind. Anyway, since it took three tries to get the Roku to connect with my router I'm hesitant to unplug it. What do you have to do when plugging it back in? I'm hoping it will connect automatically or do you have to set it up again with the router?

Though I rarely unplug the Roku, when I do, it has no trouble connecting to the network. Of course, I didn't have the issues you had earlier, either.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

BradC

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 am

shouldn't be a problem.

but even if it is, walking dead is worth the hassle. :D
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

senorgregster

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:00 pm

assuming you have enough power outlets by the tv, you could you just unplug the connection to the tv and not the power.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm

^ +1
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Medsport
Topic Author

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 am

Come to think of it your right senor, I don't have to unplug it from the outlet at all. All I have to do is unhook the cables from the Roku and hook the ones up from the VCR. Sooner or later I may have to though as all the wires are running from the front of the entertainment center around to the back. I would like to find a better place for it eventually, but I'm guessing the Roku has to be in direct sight for the remote to work right?

Gilgamesh

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am

Medsport wrote:
... I would like to find a better place for it eventually, but I'm guessing the Roku has to be in direct sight for the remote to work right?

Not if your Roku is a Roku 3 or if it is a Roku 2 and using the gaming (Bluetooth) remote. Those remotes use RF.

patpucker

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 am

Get you a RCA splitter then you'll never have to worry about unpluging again.. :D

senorgregster

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Medsport wrote:
Come to think of it your right senor, I don't have to unplug it from the outlet at all. All I have to do is unhook the cables from the Roku and hook the ones up from the VCR. Sooner or later I may have to though as all the wires are running from the front of the entertainment center around to the back. I would like to find a better place for it eventually, but I'm guessing the Roku has to be in direct sight for the remote to work right?

you could look into a repeater. I have one on each tv set up and have moved the gear (roku, dvd player, amp, tivo) to the unfinished basement (main set up) and top shelf of a closet (bedroom). Love repeaters.