Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 3 HDCP on HDMI

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 am

thartnett wrote:
The issue manifests itself the same way as when you try to play copyrighted content over non HDCP links--you get an intercept message about non-compliant connections on the monitor (or other sink device).

I'm glad Roku will look at this--
not to beat a dead horse but if CE companies have a cavalier attitude on how they implement copyright protection, and it impedes non-infringing users, consumers need to call them out. We're already at a disadvantage in so many ways. HDCP does *nothing* to prevent piracy in general, it really just annoys consumers (when it fails, and it often does) and people interested in "fair use". When it's implemented in an overreaching way, by intention or not, it just makes things worse.

So my point here is less to get this fixed tomorrow, but to right a wrong.

Right a wrong?!?! I don't think so. Piracy is "Wrong" so it seems that if you want to "Right a wrong", you would be better served taking your fight there.
Roku will look at it? Yeah probably, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:42 am

thartnett wrote:
The issue manifests itself the same way as when you try to play copyrighted content over non HDCP links--you get an intercept message about non-compliant connections on the monitor (or other sink device).

I'm just curious about why this is an issue -- do you use a different TV/sink when you watch streaming content vs. when you watch USB content?

--Mark

thartnett
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm not using any streaming functions. I just want to use Roku as a media source of non-protected content from USB.

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok, thanks.

--Mark

MyNameIsMongo

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm so sad about this ... :(

I have a Roku 2 I use for streaming on my TV in the living room, great mood setter for Pandora all day or shows my wife likes to watch etc. That TV shares itself with an AppleTV that I do most of my streaming from. Works like a charm and lately we've been excited about Roku and wanted one for the bedroom.

So, I bought a Roku 3 ... after my initial excitement and possitive feedback on Amazon (reminds me I have to go back and change that too :( ) I encountered the deadly HDCP error. How sad. My TV in the bedroom is older and only has one HDMI port so I've been using a HDMI switch to go back and forth from my AppleTV and my BlueRay player, no problems. However my Roku 3 doesn't seem to like this arrangement and I'm left with a box that shows me amazing menus but no visual content (the audio content still plays interestingly enough). It's beyond sad, my AppleTV connects to HuLu Plus and I play premium content across it, my Roku 3 on the same TV, switch, account even show just gives me the HDCP screen of death.

I unplugged the Roku 3 today, it was just making me sad having it sit there. I've contacted Roku on a number of occasions on this and all I've been told is contact my TV manufacturer (it's an old Aquos with no way to flash firmware anyway) or remove my HDMI switch . Funny, when I read the packaging or info on the website, it says HDMI and HDMI only, not that it has to be HDCP compliant HDMI ... heck I didn't know what HDCP was before I saw this.

So very sad, I've gone from being a big Roku supporter to a "don't buy one of these" when asked ...

trekkeriii

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:14 pm

MyNameIsMongo wrote:
Funny, when I read the packaging or info on the website, it says HDMI and HDMI only, not that it has to be HDCP compliant HDMI ... heck I didn't know what HDCP was before I saw this.

HDCP is actually required as a government regulation on all devices that use HDMI, so no need to advertise it's needed as it's expected to be needed regardless of what HDMI device you purchase.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

kc8pql

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 pm

...and you would have the same problem with your Roku 2, or any Roku for that matter.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

TheEndless

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:19 pm

MyNameIsMongo wrote:
I'm so sad about this ... :(

I have a Roku 2 I use for streaming on my TV in the living room, great mood setter for Pandora all day or shows my wife likes to watch etc. That TV shares itself with an AppleTV that I do most of my streaming from. Works like a charm and lately we've been excited about Roku and wanted one for the bedroom.

So, I bought a Roku 3 ... after my initial excitement and possitive feedback on Amazon (reminds me I have to go back and change that too :( ) I encountered the deadly HDCP error. How sad. My TV in the bedroom is older and only has one HDMI port so I've been using a HDMI switch to go back and forth from my AppleTV and my BlueRay player, no problems. However my Roku 3 doesn't seem to like this arrangement and I'm left with a box that shows me amazing menus but no visual content (the audio content still plays interestingly enough). It's beyond sad, my AppleTV connects to HuLu Plus and I play premium content across it, my Roku 3 on the same TV, switch, account even show just gives me the HDCP screen of death.

I unplugged the Roku 3 today, it was just making me sad having it sit there. I've contacted Roku on a number of occasions on this and all I've been told is contact my TV manufacturer (it's an old Aquos with no way to flash firmware anyway) or remove my HDMI switch . Funny, when I read the packaging or info on the website, it says HDMI and HDMI only, not that it has to be HDCP compliant HDMI ... heck I didn't know what HDCP was before I saw this.

So very sad, I've gone from being a big Roku supporter to a "don't buy one of these" when asked ...

I'd be inclined to think it's the HDMI switch that's the issue here, not your TV. Have you tried plugging the Roku directly into the TV to see if it works? The AppleTV also has HDCP over HDMI... it has to... so the fact that it plays Hulu Plus content on the same TV further suggests that the issue isn't with your TV.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

flickerkuu

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 am

I had no issues and then suddenly I cant handshake. Nothing has changed. I pay for my services. I detest when a valid user is cut out by "copy protection" what a joke. This makes me want to pirate. Pirated content "just works".

MyNameIsMongo

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 am

trekkeriii wrote:
P is actually required as a government regulation on all devices that use HDMI, so no need to advertise it's needed as it's expected to be needed regardless of what HDMI device you purchase.

Implementing a standard does not mean that you have to block traffic based on implementing the standard.

kc8pql wrote:
...and you would have the same problem with your Roku 2, or any Roku for that matter.

Actually no my AppleTV works just fine ... run hulu plus on both, works on the appletv, doesn't on the Roku

thartnett
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:36 am

trekkeriii wrote:

HDCP is actually required as a government regulation on all devices that use HDMI, so no need to advertise it's needed as it's expected to be needed regardless of what HDMI device you purchase.

There is no government mandate for HDCP. It is a content provider requirement only. The government makes it a crime via the DMCA to circumvent it, even for non-infringing uses. Lots of devices implement HDMI without HDCP like live cameras.

Taking a look at this forum, it's pretty obvious HDCP does a lot more harm than good.

flickerkuu

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 pm

I am really pissed that a system that worked fine last week, now prevents me from watching ANY of my paid for content.

Funny how menus and other systems work fine on my HDTV, but yet the content I want doesn't.

Hey engineers: Don't make your copy protection fail the rightful owner when it breaks. How about it just stops copy protecting when it breaks. I'm tired of VALID users being denied product they paid for, and accomplishing nothing to stop piracy.

If anything, this stupid protection scheme that is failing is driving me to pirate. Currently, the only way to watch HD resolution content on my TV is throwing the Roku in the trash and running torrents off my laptop like I did before. Great job copy protection. You failed.

Tired of all the DRM and protection. It DOESN'T work. It stops VALID users not pirates.

I have had MY OWN feature film pirated, and guess what? I tracked it down to INTERNAL DISTRIBUTION at Sony, not some Russian hacker. I feel INSULTED when a product assumes I am a pirate first, and a consumer second.

Until something changes, my Roku is a paperweight. I didn't buy it for SD resolution from a crappy composite cable. I used to tout the benefits and joy of the Roku to my friends. Not anymore. Aside from the nice people here, I have had no help or hope from Roku themselves. Customer service is pretty much non-existant.

tommy1967

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm beyond frustrated with this product, it was recommended to me by a co-worker.

I've had this hdcp error from day one. I had an hour long session with tech support but they couldn't help. I just cant accept that this is the result of some Government mandate when so many other products don't seem to have this issue.

Not interested in debate over content provider vs manufacturer culpability, just want it to work because I paid an honest buck for:

1. isp
2. tv
3. pricey hdmi cable
4. roku

If anyone here is an engineer working for this company, it seems to me that the honorable and reputable path would be to come up with a fix and hit the box with the patch or update or whatever. You would almost certainly win back some of us.

I cancelled cable thinking this would be a better alternative and so far it's turning out to a bust out, the fake reviews on Amazon not withstanding this smells too much like bait and switch.

mikeyts

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Why not just return your Roku (or sell it if it's too late to return it) and try something else? Life is too short to waste it fretting with electronic gimmicks which don't work.

otacon

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

If you purchase digital content anywhere 9/10 it's going to have DRM on it meaning anywhere you view that content the device needs to be HDCP compliant. In my own case I run a 24" LCD monitor off my laptop that is not HDCP compliant so when I try to play movies purchased on iTunes on it I get the HDCP error page. If I then take that HDMI cable and plug it into my 42" LCD it plays just fine. Yes you own content purchased with DRM on it but only as so far as you can play it on an HDCP compliant device. We're actually cutting the cord tomorrow and did this check just to make sure we wouldn't have any HDCP issues. If I try to say hook the Roku 3 up to my DELL monitor it's not going to work.

If your computer has an NVIDIA graphics card you can easily check your LCD, LED, whatever to see if its HDCP compliant....

My DELL external monitor: