Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

colinbunnell
Topic Author

New Roku 3 - Nothing is happening

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Hey all,

I just unboxed a Roku 3. It is stuck on the initial "Select your language screen"

I can't tell if the remote is broken or not. I've tried replacing the batteries, resetting the roku a few times, standing closer to the roku. The box boots fine, and eventually goes to standby mode. I just can't make it to anything. Extremely frustrating so far.

Any ideas?

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New Roku 3 - Nothing is happening

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm

colinbunnell wrote:
Hey all,

I just unboxed a Roku 3. It is stuck on the initial "Select your language screen"

I can't tell if the remote is broken or not. I've tried replacing the batteries, resetting the roku a few times, standing closer to the roku. The box boots fine, and eventually goes to standby mode. I just can't make it to anything. Extremely frustrating so far.

Any ideas?

Did you read the instructions and pair the remote?

colinbunnell
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks! That worked. Sorry to be that guy.

In my defense, they should probably have put that step or referenced to that step before the absolute last page of the manual. Its 9 pages past the step I was on.

philsoft

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:54 pm

colinbunnell wrote:
Thanks! That worked. Sorry to be that guy.

In my defense, they should probably have put that step or referenced to that step before the absolute last page of the manual. Its 9 pages past the step I was on.

FWIW I agree. Folks have become so accustomed to "add batteries and aim" in regard to remotes, that changing from that formula, kinda gives you the responsibility to maybe put a sticker on the box.

mikeyts

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 pm

In their defense the remote should automatically pair with the box when you power it up and it goes into Guided Setup; in the normal course of things you do just "add batteries and aim" (except that in this case you don't need to aim :)). If it fails to do that manual pairing is described in the troubleshooting section of the "Hi! Let's get started" pamphlet.

BradC

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 pm

If you are a guy, you can be forgiven.

Most of us hate to read instructions unless absolutely necessary. :evil:
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

RickRansom

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 am

BradC wrote:
Most of us hate to read instructions unless absolutely necessary. :evil:

:mrgreen:
Here, here..!!
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

David Reddy

Sat May 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi, I have a new Roku 3, I have tried to pair following the directions and with help from 4 different Roku Chat employees over 3 weeks. I have been sent a new remote - no change. Now I have been sent a new Roku 3 and remote - no change.

Roku logo bounces on screen to lang choice and then usually nothing happens when I press OK. Once in a while the remote w/timer wheel will show up and a few times I have gone through setup to the choose your wireless network. My network is displayed, but clicking OK has no effect. Once it let me choose my network, but then said I needed a security key. My network has no security key and my computer and kindle have no trouble connecting to the internet.

I need help - suggestions?

philsoft

Sat May 04, 2013 7:13 pm

David Reddy wrote:
Hi, I have a new Roku 3, I have tried to pair following the directions and with help from 4 different Roku Chat employees over 3 weeks. I have been sent a new remote - no change. Now I have been sent a new Roku 3 and remote - no change.

Roku logo bounces on screen to lang choice and then usually nothing happens when I press OK. Once in a while the remote w/timer wheel will show up and a few times I have gone through setup to the choose your wireless network. My network is displayed, but clicking OK has no effect. Once it let me choose my network, but then said I needed a security key. My network has no security key and my computer and kindle have no trouble connecting to the internet.

I need help - suggestions?

Sounds like interference. Do you have a lot of other wireless devices running? Cordless phone, computers etc.

David Reddy

Sat May 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Yes, it does sound like interference.
My router is in my garage/office. I pulled the plug on the garage door opener. Disconnected the wireless and turned off my computer. Turned off my cell phone and pulled the plug on the wireless phone. - no.
Now i'm putting my car remote and the tv, dvd, cable and garage door remotes in the other room. turned off the wireless mouse.
NOthing worked. AB plus black button, reset roku pressing paper clip for 30 seconds. unplug wait 10 seconds. remote flashes, roku gets to lang screen and nothing. haven't even gotten to the remote timer by accident like I did before.
Changed to original roku player that has been sitting without power for days. no Reset original roku player for 45 seconds w/remote flashing - nothing.
Ideas gone. Patience gone.

TheEndless

Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm

If you have a universal remote that has the Roku codes available to it, or a Roku IR remote from an earlier model, those should work fine with your Roku 3 until you get the interference issues worked out.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

RickRansom

Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 am

TheEndless wrote:
If you have a universal remote that has the Roku codes available to it, or a Roku IR remote from an earlier model, those should work fine with your Roku 3 until you get the interference issues worked out.

+1

@David Reddy: Just use a roku compatible IR remote to setup the unit. Once activated, you can go to the settings option on the roku and initiate a manual pairing with the roku 3 remote.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

David Reddy

Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 am

I have a lot of remotes, but I don't know if I have a Roku compatible remote. I have a universal remote with my Verizon FIOS TV that has the a b c d etc.