Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

terster
Topic Author

ROKU 3 - How to turn light off, on face of the unit

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi.

I just put in my first ROKU 3.

This unit has a very bright white LED light on the front of the ROKU box. (This is not a remote issue.)

This unit is in the bedroom so at night when it's very dark... this unit partially lights up the room! It's very bright and is a real problem. It does turn off eventually, but it does not necessarily stay off. I will sometimes awake at 2 am with that light shining right at me! It's become an issue.

My temporary solution is to put a piece of electrical tape over it but I found that this affects the efficiency of using my remote. I use the Harmony 880. With this new ROKU 3, I'm not sure why, but I need a clear line of sight in order for the Harmony 880 to work well.

I can't find where the setting is to turn this front bright white status/led light off.

Can someone direct me to the setting?

Thanks much for any help!

Terster

BradC

Re: ROKU 3 - How to turn light off, on face of the unit

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 pm

not sure why there would be a setting for something like that, but if you turn it backwards, it should still work fine with an IR remote reflecting off the back wall and not be a bright light.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

Gilgamesh

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Duct Tape.

dwanthny

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:01 am

There is no setting to turn off the light. Try a smaller piece of electrical tape and hopefully avoid covering up the IR sensor.

Gilgamesh

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 am

dwanthny wrote:
There is no setting to turn off the light. Try a smaller piece of electrical tape and hopefully avoid covering up the IR sensor.

If you are using the remote that came with the Roku 3 you do not have to worry about covering the IR sensor, the supplied remote is RF.

dwanthny

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
If you are using the remote that came with the Roku 3 you do not have to worry about covering the IR sensor, the supplied remote is RF.

If you read the thread you would know that he is using an IR remote.

ewsjr

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:51 pm

mkiker2089

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:03 pm

The light should not come on at night. Something has to hit the remote to turn the device on. Perhaps take the batteries out of the RF remote to make sure it isn't activating.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Actually, I think it does come on when it phones home to check for updates.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:15 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
The light should not come on at night. Something has to hit the remote to turn the device on. Perhaps take the batteries out of the RF remote to make sure it isn't activating.
It's on during & following system updates for some length of time. I'm extremely light-sensitive when I'm trying to sleep, and as little a thing as this is, it is enough to keep me up if I'm already restless. I've taped over pretty much every light in the bedroom, or used indelible markers to darken them. That ThinkGeek product might be on my next birthday wish list :). I wouldn't mind a setting where the light is on only when there's a remote command coming in.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

drawnedlac

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:24 am

This drives me crazy too, and I've resorted to unplugging my Roku3 at night because of that fact.
Recently I discoved (randomly) that the white indicator light shuts off when my Roku goes into screensaver mode and stays off for how long I can't tell... long enough for me to fall asleep without unplugging my ROKU.
Now if I could just figure out how to turn off the LED on my flatscreen tv... oye

jim.elliott

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:42 am

Get these:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireles ... te+Control

You plug your Roku into this, and then you can turn off your Roku with these.

andyross

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:21 am

If you don't mind a long cord, you can also try this:
https://www.amazon.com/Woods-Indoor-Swi ... B000KKND86

Elijah_Baley

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:47 am

A small piece of black electrical tape solves the problem. As long as you just cover the light you do not have to worry about covering the IR sensor because it is on the other side of the front of the Roku. That is on all my Rokus the light is on the right and the IR sensor is on the left or center. Either way the light can be easily covered without covering the sensor.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.