Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Pyk
Topic Author

Roku 2 XD Problem Using HDMI to DVI adapter

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi there, I have been searching for a few days and can't seem to find any issues similar to what I'm having.

I've had no issues using my Roku 2 XD on my Westinghouse TV with an HDMI cable, but I recently moved it to my bed with a 24" 1080p Asus monitor with an Apple HDMI to DVI converter (just what I had on hand, no particular reason for Apple). With this setup, I get a repeating pattern: about a half second of normal video followed by one and a half seconds of color static. I can navigate the Roku menus fine and even play video (I mainly use it for streaming Plex videos from a home media server), but having it display on and off static makes it basically useless. It's completely up to date, and I've tried changing the video output modes—all four of them give me the same results. Oh, and the Roku startup screen is fine, the static cycling only starts once the Roku is fully started up.

Is this a documented issue? Should the Roku be working with an HDMI to DVI converter? I think I have another converter I will try, but other than that I have no idea what else there is to troubleshoot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 2 XD Problem Using HDMI to DVI adapter

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 am

Is the monitor HDCP compliant?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Pyk
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Is the monitor HDCP compliant?

I assume not, but I didn't think the Roku menu would have HDCP... does it? (And really, I thought video played through Plex would not have HDCP either, but I may be wrong) I didn't think my TV was HDCP compliant either, but maybe it is.

Update: Correction, it's an Acer monitor, a P244W. And as far as I can tell it does support HDCP.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:06 pm

I have that same problem on a known HDCP compliant monitor. I never found a solution. The same monitor works fine with Roku 1s.

-JT

Pyk
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks... what a shame. I guess I won't keep my hopes up for a fix.

simcam68

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Got the same problem with a 2 XS, unit works fine when using a HDMI to HDMI cable on other monitor or TV.

The HDMI to DVI cable works fine from other sources, just not with the roku.

I hope an update fixes this. I bought the thing specifically to use with the monitor I have...