Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ShareIn
Topic Author

Getting double audio - echo?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 pm

On only ONE of my TVs with Roku I'm getting an echo or double audio. I've turned off and on several audio settings on my TV to see if it will stop and it won't. This TV, while not new any more, was cutting edge, top of the line, with 1080i well before most TVs had it. It has something called Faroudja technology. While its my biggest TV with the best picture, it has *always* been the most temperamental. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to fix this problem? Otherwise I won't be able to use the Roku on this TV (and frankly I'm not sure what else I would use). Apple? NetGear?

Thank you.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Getting double audio - echo?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 pm

ShareIn wrote:
On only ONE of my TVs with Roku I'm getting an echo or double audio. I've turned off and on several audio settings on my TV to see if it will stop and it won't. This TV, while not new any more, was cutting edge, top of the line, with 1080i well before most TVs had it. It has something called Faroudja technology. While its my biggest TV with the best picture, it has *always* been the most temperamental. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to fix this problem? Otherwise I won't be able to use the Roku on this TV (and frankly I'm not sure what else I would use). Apple? NetGear?

Thank you.

Which Roku do you have and how do you have it connected to the TV? Also, make and model of the TV in question would help as well. There's nothing on the Roku that I think can solve the problem.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

ShareIn
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 pm

I have the Roku XS. It is connected with a gold-tipped HDMI cable. As for the TV, all I can tell you is its a 46" Sceptre. While they're only a $500/$600 now. I paid $1500 when it first came out.

trekkeriii

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:02 pm

ShareIn wrote:
I have the Roku XS. It is connected with a gold-tipped HDMI cable. As for the TV, all I can tell you is its a 46" Sceptre. While they're only a $500/$600 now. I paid $1500 when it first came out.

Under Settings > Audio mode on Roku, you don't have 5.1 sound enabled do you?
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

ShareIn
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:13 pm

No, I don't. I checked that first. Its beyond baffling. I can NOT figure out why its echoing.

trekkeriii

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm

ShareIn wrote:
No, I don't. I checked that first. Its beyond baffling. I can NOT figure out why its echoing.

It's got to be the TV then. There's no other sound setting on the Roku besides the 5.1 sound settings. I know there's sound settings on some TVs that emulate environments like live games or concerts, look for anything like that. Also, you don't have a stereo system in the mix do you?
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

mkiker2089

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 pm

ShareIn wrote:

Thank you.

I had it once as well. Rebooting the TV fixed it in my case. I'm assuming you tried that though.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

dgrace

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:37 am

I found that with the delay of the sound getting to the AVR and then on to the TV (via HDMI) my TV would also add a slight echo like sound. I turned off my TV speakers and all sounds fine.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Basil

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 am

dgrace wrote:
I found that with the delay of the sound getting to the AVR and then on to the TV (via HDMI) my TV would also add a slight echo like sound. I turned off my TV speakers and all sounds fine.

Let me confirm that I had a similar situation once.

My Roku is connected to the TV, which then is outputting sound via HDMI to the sound system. There's a setting on the TV to send sound to the TV speakers or to an external source.

What happened is, though external was chosen, the TV wasn't disabling its sound. So, I was getting it from two places, and had a sometimes-noticable echo. I changed the settings on the TV to internal, then back to external, and all was well. Bottom line: TV was doing it, not Roku. It was happening with everything, not just the Roku box.

OP: Try confirming that you aren't getting sound from both TV and your sound system.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

ShareIn
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:46 am

Thank you to everyone who is giving me input on this problem. I'm pretty sure the first thing I did was turn off (maybe they didn't go off?) the TV speakers. I've changed every setting I can think of and each time there is the echo. I didn't have to change a single setting on any of the SIX other TVs I have. Why is this one alone giving me trouble? All the others worked perfectly (except for the lag / freeze I get sometimes on the TV in the kitchen).

ShareIn
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
I had it once as well. Rebooting the TV fixed it in my case. I'm assuming you tried that though.

Rebooting the TV? I'm assuming you don't just mean turning the TV on and off?

philsoft

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 am

So you have the Roku connected to the TV AND to a receiver?

Basil

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 am

ShareIn wrote:
Thank you to everyone who is giving me input on this problem. I'm pretty sure the first thing I did was turn off (maybe they didn't go off?) the TV speakers. I've changed every setting I can think of and each time there is the echo. I didn't have to change a single setting on any of the SIX other TVs I have. Why is this one alone giving me trouble? All the others worked perfectly (except for the lag / freeze I get sometimes on the TV in the kitchen).

My TV showed, via menu, that it was sending sound just to external speakers (the sound system), but I still had the echo. So, I walked over to the TV and put my ears up close to the TV speakers. Sure enough, sound was coming out.

Not saying that's your cause, but if you want to rule out TV speakers, I'd suggest putting ear to speaker. That's a pretty darn good test.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

jeffrok

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 am

ShareIn wrote:

Off the subject, but do note that no digital device really benefits because the tips of the cables are gold-tipped ;).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mkiker2089

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

ShareIn wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

Rebooting the TV? I'm assuming you don't just mean turning the TV on and off?

Pulling the plug with it powered on, and holding the power button. It used to be that TVs retained memory unless you did that because they are set to power on fast, and hence are never really turned off. It may not work anymore with modern electronics and the new RAM that retains memory without power.... however it worked in my case. It was an issue with the TV apparently.

We get this at work with our Dish box as well (I sell Dish in addition to electronics) and have to simply power down the TV to fix it. That's probably unrelated however as it's intermitten and easily fixed.

I assume you've rebooted everything as that's the first step.

Beyond that it's trying strange things. Turning off the TV audio and hooking speakers up to it for example.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.