Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
valkrider
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 pm

need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I have windows 7 home premium and a roku 2. One of the online techs told me I should use Plex to Queue my videos from my "C" drive but after many hours of frustration and zero support plex can go #$$%^^^%$$. Is there a better way to do this? I am a pretty good gunsmith but not so good on these computer things. Thank You in advance for your kind help, Valkrider P.S. I had zero problems installing and using Netflix
 
dboff01
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:37 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Have you installed both the Plex server app on your Win 7 PC and the Plex client app on your Roku? Are your PC and Roku on the same network?
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Plex is easy for some but I find it hard to use and excessively cumbersome and flaky to use.

The easiest of the media channels to get to work is Chaneru. This link is to the Chaneru beta as it is the easiest to get working. It is free as long as it is beta.

You download the server. Copy it out of the zip file to where you want it to run from. (I use C:\Chaneru) Then run the server.

On the computer on the server's screen click options and then set your options the way you want.

For Videos:
Set your Server Name to whatever you want.
The IP and port should be preset to the computer's IP and 8010 as the port. I would suggest changing the port to something a bit less common to avoid conflicts. (I use 9091)

[This can be done as many times as needed to get the server to serve all video directories]
Next use the browse button in the Title Bar section to choose the directory that your videos are in. Then name it whatever you want. Then click add.

Then click update.

That is all there is to getting the server set to serve your videos. You can go back anytime and add more directories.

Then log onto your Roku account and then on the screen you downloaded the server from and click the line that starts with "Add Chaneru."

Then follow the instructions to get it added to your channel list. (It is not yet in the channel store)

Lastly, on your Roku enter and exit the channel store and Chaneru will be in your lineup.
Note: If you have the new interface with the channels in a 3 channel wide grid then you need to go to settings and "Check for update" to get the channel added right away. It will add automatically if you wait overnight but I have never liked waiting.

Once you have the channel entering it should bring you an entry for the server you installed and then you can select it and locate your movies and play them.

Chaneru can be set to transcode movies on the fly but it is much better if they are in one of the compatible formats like mp4. See this link for more info about encoding.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=36754

If you need to transcode Chaneru uses VLC so that will need to be installed on your computer.

NOTE: This version of Chaneru is DLNA capable for many DLNA servers but the experience while using the Chaneru server is, I believe, better than any of the DLNA servers that I have tried.
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Agreed with Gilgamesh. Roksbox is too tedious and cumbersome. It makes me manually enter everything and even then doesn't work right. Plex is a nightmare and also forces you to configure things that really should just be left alone.

You can

1- Use Microsofts built in file sharing. I go through Media Player to create the library and share it. Those videos will need to be Roku compat. though since there isn't transcoding involved.
2- Use the Chaneru server, found at chaneru.com
3- use a different server. Logitech Media Server for example should work rather well as it transcodes on the fly.

After that you just add chaneru, start it, select the media server, and browse.

I think Chaneru needs to be simplified as well though. The channel was made by an engineer with clever usage of every button. I'd like a version with less options but the buttons mapped according the standards. It's a bit awkward remembering that play isn't really play and you have to hit ok instead or that the back button isn't really a back button it's a home button and rewind is back unless a movie is playing and then rewind is rewind......... That's just my opinion though.

edit--
Gilgamesh, my Roku 3 doesn't update channels from the channel store. I have to go to software update in the settings. Is mine different from normal?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
ronfelder
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: new jersey
Contact:

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:06 pm

valkrider wrote:
I have windows 7 home premium and a roku 2. One of the online techs told me I should use Plex to Queue my videos from my "C" drive but after many hours of frustration and zero support plex can go #$$%^^^%$$. Is there a better way to do this? I am a pretty good gunsmith but not so good on these computer things. Thank You in advance for your kind help, Valkrider P.S. I had zero problems installing and using Netflix



For me Plex is easy to use and set up. One you have Plex server on you pc you need to tell it where your files are located. You will pick either tv, home video, photos, music or movies. Reason for this is so Plex can find the metadata of your movies. Once yo have it locate the exact folder where your movies is located it'll scan your file to find the appropriate cover art and synopsis of the movie. Should you be doing tv shows you must name it with the season number and tv episode for Plex to find the shows. On the PLex site there is an article on how to name files for Plex to find them.

I never have problems using the app and it works great for me. For me it's the most use channel next to Netflix. In fact i'd say I use it more than Netflix. I gather my movies and tv shows from a torrent site and watch away. I don't bother converting the video file format i just let Plex transcode for me. My machine is powerful enough to do so. I know not everyone has a machine that powerful.I'm even able to stream from Plex to multiple Roku's with no problem.

Now of course that is just me other people might get different results.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
 
ronfelder
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: new jersey
Contact:

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Agreed with Gilgamesh. Roksbox is too tedious and cumbersome. It makes me manually enter everything and even then doesn't work right. Plex is a nightmare and also forces you to configure things that really should just be left alone.

You can

1- Use Microsofts built in file sharing. I go through Media Player to create the library and share it. Those videos will need to be Roku compat. though since there isn't transcoding involved.
2- Use the Chaneru server, found at chaneru.com
3- use a different server. Logitech Media Server for example should work rather well as it transcodes on the fly.

After that you just add chaneru, start it, select the media server, and browse.

I think Chaneru needs to be simplified as well though. The channel was made by an engineer with clever usage of every button. I'd like a version with less options but the buttons mapped according the standards. It's a bit awkward remembering that play isn't really play and you have to hit ok instead or that the back button isn't really a back button it's a home button and rewind is back unless a movie is playing and then rewind is rewind......... That's just my opinion though.

edit--
Gilgamesh, my Roku 3 doesn't update channels from the channel store. I have to go to software update in the settings. Is mine different from normal?


A Roku 3 will update the channels when you do a software update for the box. One need not enter and exit the channel store on a Roku 3.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

It depends on where you get your videos also. I don't pirate so I don't use torrents. I'm ripping from DVDs so for me it's easiest just to transcode them to Sony PS3 standards which happen to work well on the Roku. h.264 mp4 (avc) file with AAC Dolby Pro Logic sound. Pirates make Baby Jesus's wounds from the cross open up so every time you steal a movie you are making him hurt. Powerful machine or not if you are ripping them it just makes sense to rip them in a mode that will play natively.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
ronfelder
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: new jersey
Contact:

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:26 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
It depends on where you get your videos also. I don't pirate so I don't use torrents. I'm ripping from DVDs so for me it's easiest just to transcode them to Sony PS3 standards which happen to work well on the Roku. h.264 mp4 (avc) file with AAC Dolby Pro Logic sound. Pirates make Baby Jesus's wounds from the cross open up so every time you steal a movie you are making him hurt. Powerful machine or not if you are ripping them it just makes sense to rip them in a mode that will play natively.



I'm assuming the dvd's you rip are yours for if they aren't you're pirating too.

Converting file format would mean downloading and then converting them. Know problem in playing in the format that they were downloading in so for me not worth the extra step.

As for wounds not my problem. Most titles not worth owning. I do rent and rip but sometimes torrent is better like when a dvd title is on back order.

As for your sound format choice I prefer Dolby digital 5.1. Not everything is that way but if available that's my choice. Plus choose 720P for the video. I can't rip a blu ray so torrent is the only logical source in my case.

Call me crazy that's just me.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
 
User avatar
lion7718
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:01 am

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:32 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
I don't pirate so I don't use torrents. I'm ripping from DVDs.... Pirates make Baby Jesus's wounds from the cross open up so every time you steal a movie you are making him hurt.


You can say you don't pirate cause you don't use torrents, but according to the MPAA you making a copy of your own DVD makes you a pirate.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
 
ronfelder
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: new jersey
Contact:

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:35 pm

lion7718 wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:
I don't pirate so I don't use torrents. I'm ripping from DVDs.... Pirates make Baby Jesus's wounds from the cross open up so every time you steal a movie you are making him hurt.


You can say you don't pirate cause you don't use torrents, but according to the MPAA you making a copy of your own DVD makes you a pirate.



Even if the dvd he rips is one he purchased? that's just like buying an LP in the old days and making a cassette tape for the car. Wasn't that declared to be legal?
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
 
User avatar
lion7718
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:01 am

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:40 pm

ronfelder wrote:
Even if the dvd he rips is one he purchased? that's just like buying an LP in the old days and making a cassette tape for the car. Wasn't that declared to be legal?


Pretty much in the US.

Is It Legal to Rip a DVD That I Own?
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:50 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
...
edit--
Gilgamesh, my Roku 3 doesn't update channels from the channel store. I have to go to software update in the settings. Is mine different from normal?


The Roku 3 has the new interface so it updates channels when there is an attempt to update the software.

The OP has an R2 so, at this time, it is probable that he is still on the old interface where entering and exiting the channel store is the way to get an immediate update of the channels. The new interface will be rolling out through next month and the everyone except the R1s will have the new interface.

TheEndless created a private channel to update channels under the new interface (I believe it works under the old interface as well) https://owner.roku.com/add/UpdateMyChannels
Of course when you add that channel you will have to update in the old way one time to get it installed.
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:59 pm

lion7718 wrote:
ronfelder wrote:
Even if the dvd he rips is one he purchased? that's just like buying an LP in the old days and making a cassette tape for the car. Wasn't that declared to be legal?


Pretty much in the US.

Is It Legal to Rip a DVD That I Own?


That's an unenforceable law however. It's ilegal to rip them because the studios were able to get a law written to that effect. Actually the ripping isn't the problem, it's having software to break the encryption. If you use software that doesn't break the encryption but instead copies it after playback (akin to a VCR on a TV output) then you don't break the encryption. My understanding is that Freemake does just that, but I haven't researched it. Also owning the rip copies is still legal under first sale doctrine that so far the studios have been unable to strike down. I own the discs and keep them. If I sell the discs I'd be required to delete the copy.

And yes, it's DVDs I own. All jokes aside piracy destroys the industry. When people don't get paid for their work they stop working. You then end up with crap. It damaged the music industry (although other factors damaged it as well) and has weakened the software industry. Anyway, I'll drop it at this point as it really isn't a black and white issue.

The PS3 seems to have a problem with 5.1 in MP4 files. I've gotten some to play, and others don't. It's a strange thing for a supposed "it does everything" console to be limited by. I prefer Pro-Logic anyway because I like left and right sub woofers as well as more subtle channel separation. That's just personal preference though.

edit--

Ron, Music is different because the RIAA has actually spoken out against that part of the DMCA. Since they are the governing body you have legal permission to rip your CDs under first sale doctrine. Not only that, you can upload them to the cloud so both Google and Amazon give you the digital version all assuming you own the CD. As far as I know once that's done you can then sell the DVD because the digital copy was licensed separately.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
... Roksbox is too tedious and cumbersome. It makes me manually enter everything and even then doesn't work right...


I actually find Roksbox easy to use but I speak "Apache" with fair fluency so it is easy for me to get the Apache server working well.

It is a bit more trouble to set up but it is also more featured in the display area.

I recommend Chaneru in this case because it requires no special knowledge to set up. My 87 year old neighbor got it working all by himself I only showed him a couple of ways to change his setup/structure afterwards to make navigation easier. (He has trouble understanding how files are actually organized on the computer. He was only serving the root directory.)

The OP did not say how large his video library is but I find Roksbox a bit snappier on startup with a large library. I have recently inherited a VERY large library that totals over 2500 titles and added to the near 1000 titles I already owned my video library is now at about 3200 titles once duplicates were expunged and I find that Roksbox is a bit faster at getting started and navigating to the first video to play but once both channels are fully loaded and have made their first library scan there is little to choose between them speed wise.

Chaneru has the advantage for me of remembering which video was the last played in a directory and it auto-advances pretty well after playing a video which is an advantage when playing TV series, which is what a lot of my inheritance is composed of.

BTW: I run both the Apache and Chaneru servers from the same computer. Neither put much strain on the serving computer and they can both serve a video simultaneously to different clients without any problem. My serving computer is a fairly low power single core computer. That computer will bog down and virtually stop if Plex is run on it even though it can run those other two servers just fine.

One more thing With Chaneru you can have multiple Chaneru servers with different configurations and multiple compatible DLNA servers running at the same time on your network (just make sure the ports don't conflict.) and the Chaneru channel will detect all of them and allow you to choose which you want to use at any time.
 
User avatar
dgrace
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Montana

Re: need help with "c" drive video files

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 am

I've used MyMedia and find it very easy to use. About 99% of the time I use it for streaming MP3s from my desktop, but it will stream video, if in the format that Roku allows. I use Handbrake and they transcode fine.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests