Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Goodbye VideoBuzz - And Thanks

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 pm

kc8pql wrote:
...or they could just lock the box down and not allow private channels. That would at least stop the
uninformed from blaming Roku for something they had nothing to do with.

The real answer is to enjoy private channels. They're one of the things that makes Roku unique, but don't get bent out of shape if they disappear.

Some Channel owners actually create secret Channels within Channels to gain access to YouTube and such. I know of one right off hand, the primary use of the channel totally differs from the secret use of the channel. So even if they started approving Private Channels, too, that doesn't stop people from making secret Channels.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

RickRansom

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:10 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Some Channel owners actually create secret Channels within Channels to gain access to YouTube and such. I know of one right off hand, the primary use of the channel totally differs from the secret use of the channel. So even if they started approving Private Channels, too, that doesn't stop people from making secret Channels.

+1
Even if the people know what the secret channel is, if they don't know how to unlock the secret feature then it's pretty much an ordinary channel.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

RokuChris

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:16 pm

kc8pql wrote:
The real answer is to enjoy private channels. They're one of the things that makes Roku unique, but don't get bent out of shape if they disappear.

Well said :D

mauiman

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
mauiman wrote:
Roku needs to figure out something real fast.
Much like a raise in pay, you do not take it away once it's given.
It is MUCH better for all involved to have never had it than to have it taken away.
Roku, either STOP approving these channels or STOP taking them down once approved.
I for one, am growing weary of this. Youtube, TV.Com,etc.
Here today, gone tomorrow.
Much like your customers if this continues.

Private Channels don't go through the approval process that Public Channels do. Basically, I can create a channel and start it up right away if it's going to be a Private Channel. In fact I did this in December. You also don't have to get approval for updates. Youtube, TV.com, and VideoBuzz were Private Channels, so Roku did not officially approve them, however, Google and CBS complained to Roku that these were a violation of the DMCA, and under the Developer Agreement, if you create a channel with content that you do not own, Roku can pull it, if and when a content owner complains to Roku about your Channel. I wonder if discussions on how to get YouTube on Roku will now be censored much like talking about a certain other Media Server/Channel.

I will admit, I do have a Private Channel I made, and I didn't get permission from the content owners to make this content public, so I don't advertise the Channel, just use it for my own personal use as well as a trusted few.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people jump to proclaim "It's NOT Roku's fault" no matter what. Well, if the content on Roku devices is NOT ROKU'S RESPONSIBILITY, why then did the original poster say "We received a notice from Roku management asking us to close down the channel as we don't own the content which is being streamed by VideoBuzz channel". If it's not Roku's responsibility to police the channels, why then doesn't Roku simply tell whomever filed the cease and desist complaint to contact the channel developer themselves? We all know the answer so stop defending them.
My Roku's were both freezing up: Not Roku's fault. It was blamed on my "network" and/or my "setup" for two years.
My Roku kept re-booting: Not Roku's fault. That was blamed on my network too.
My Rokus ran hot as flower: Not Roku's fault. That was blamed on, of all things, my wireless connection making it hot. I laugh about that one still.
Nothing is EVER Roku's fault.
It's always the network, the setup, the router, the connection, the channel creator or the idiot pushing the remote.
Anytime any problem comes up, the Roku shills come out in full force.
Since my two units were replaced, no problems at all. I guess my network, my setup, my router and my connection all magically and mysteriously and oh so coincidentally ALL were fixed at the exact same time I powered up new units. Because as we all know, it sure wasn't Roku's fault.
Bottom line is when you offer something as a service and your hardware provides the vehicle in which the service is rendered, and you take that service away, you're creating bad blood between you and the end users. Period.
I'm UN-concerned with the political in-fighting that seems to follow this company around.

philsoft

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:46 pm

mauiman wrote:
Since my two units were replaced, no problems at all.

Yet you still have something to complain about.
Now THAT never ceases to amaze ME!

danat275

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:48 pm

why is roku having such a hard time getting it's own youtube channel??apple tv has it.xbox has it playstation 3 has it..and other internet streaming devices has it,but roku is the only device that cant seem to get an official youtube channel..video buzz is one of the best channels on roku right now,one i watched the most..it's sad to see it go and very pathetic that is has to go.so i reckon us roku users will have to keep expecting hundreds of new channels no one will ever watch,while the good ones like video buzz gets taken from us..unreal

trekkeriii

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:02 pm

mauiman wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people jump to proclaim "It's NOT Roku's fault" no matter what. Well, if the content on Roku devices is NOT ROKU'S RESPONSIBILITY, why then did the original poster say "We received a notice from Roku management asking us to close down the channel as we don't own the content which is being streamed by VideoBuzz channel". If it's not Roku's responsibility to police the channels, why then doesn't Roku simply tell whomever filed the cease and desist complaint to contact the channel developer themselves? We all know the answer so stop defending them.

Roku did do the responsible thing, obeyed the law, and passed the Cease and Desist to the Channel Owner, Channel Owner is making the decision to close down. Roku can't police every Private Channel, it's hard enough for them to find time to approve the Public Channels I would imagine. I think this was one of those cases where Roku looked the other way with VideoBuzz, but Google finally said it's time to put the kibosh on the channel and Roku had to legally comply (or spend money on lawyers and court costs fighting Google). Honestly, if you are this angry contact Google or Congress.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

castalla

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 pm

danat275 wrote:
why is roku having such a hard time getting it's own youtube channel??apple tv has it.xbox has it playstation 3 has it..and other internet streaming devices has it,but roku is the only device that cant seem to get an official youtube channel..video buzz is one of the best channels on roku right now,one i watched the most..it's sad to see it go and very pathetic that is has to go.so i reckon us roku users will have to keep expecting hundreds of new channels no one will ever watch,while the good ones like video buzz gets taken from us..unreal

Some people are never satisfied - I just switched to my Roku and new additions to the store include Senior Care TV and the Bible Teachers' Broadcasting Network .... what else could you want? :lol: :lol: :lol:

kc8pql

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Here's the policy, posted publicly on Roku's website, and I suspect as part of the Developer's Agreement.
http://www.roku.com/about/dmca
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

trekkeriii

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Here's the policy, posted publicly on Roku's website, and I suspect as part of the Developer's Agreement.
http://www.roku.com/about/dmca

It's very clear in the Developer Agreement and the Procedures Roku will take if they get a DMCA notice about a channel. They followed the procedure in which they laid out in the Developer Agreement, which is first ask the Channel Owner to remove the content or Channel in question.
i. Notice of Infringement. If any third party believes in good faith that all or any part of the
Channel Application, the Channel Information, or the Content infringes their copyright (“Complainant”),
they may submit a notice of claimed copyright infringement to Roku’s designated agent. The forms,
format and procedures for submitting a notice are available at www.roku.com/about/DMCA. Upon receipt
of the notice containing the required information, Roku may:
a. Forward the written notification to Developer, along with the contact information of the
Complainant, and advise Developer that, within 24 hours of receipt of the notice, it must
respond by either removing the allegedly infringing Content or filing a Counter-Notice as
described below;
b. Remove or disable access to the material that is alleged to be infringing if no CounterNotice is received within 24 hours of the aforementioned notification;
c. Take reasonable steps to promptly notify Developer that Roku has removed or disabled
access to the allegedly infringing material; and
d. In the case of persistent and/or repeat infringement, terminate the Channel Application
and remove it from all Players on which it was installed.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

wzwor

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:18 pm

mauiman wrote:

This is not Roku. It's not really even the Roku mods on this forum. Mostly it's the People of Good Streaming Taste. People always seem to want to validate their decisions and, in the case of the People of Good Streaming Taste, this seems to be an obsession.
mauiman wrote:
My Roku's were both freezing up: Not Roku's fault. It was blamed on my "network" and/or my "setup" for two years.
My Roku kept re-booting: Not Roku's fault. That was blamed on my network too.
My Rokus ran hot as flower: Not Roku's fault. That was blamed on, of all things, my wireless connection making it hot. I laugh about that one still.
Nothing is EVER Roku's fault.
It's always the network, the setup, the router, the connection, the channel creator or the idiot pushing the remote.
Anytime any problem comes up, the Roku shills come out in full force.

In my experience, their tech support is very accommodating. Problems denied here arer quickly remedied by their tech support. Go there for help.
mauiman wrote:
Since my two units were replaced, no problems at all. I guess my network, my setup, my router and my connection all magically and mysteriously and oh so coincidentally ALL were fixed at the exact same time I powered up new units. Because as we all know, it sure wasn't Roku's fault.
Bottom line is when you offer something as a service and your hardware provides the vehicle in which the service is rendered, and you take that service away, you're creating bad blood between you and the end users. Period.
I'm UN-concerned with the political in-fighting that seems to follow this company around.

This is true. Roku makes a box that people can stream web content to. Nothing more. They pretend to be something more, but when things go wrong, they revert to the 'we make bricks' defense.

Despite this, the Roku is a compelling piece of hardware. I own five of them. I would NEVER pay $0.01 for content via Roku, though, because I do not believe that they stand behind the content. Roku will be eclipsed shortly. When they are, their bricks will be replaced. I got my money's worth because I was conservative. I don't have a relationship with them like I do with Amazon, for instance, because they don't have a relationship with me.

I think people should buy Rokus. If the bricks do not meet expectations, send them back and move on. Two of my Rokus are steeply discounted refurbs.
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

philsoft

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:54 pm

wzwor wrote:
mauiman wrote:

This is not Roku. It's not really even the Roku mods on this forum. Mostly it's the People of Good Streaming Taste. People always seem to want to validate their decisions and, in the case of the People of Good Streaming Taste, this seems to be an obsession.

I just want to point out, that in my experience, when people use the term "Person of Good Streaming Taste", it tends to be because they can not win a point based on it's merits, they resort to calling the other party a "Person of Good Streaming Taste", with the misguided belief that this somehow makes a point in their favor. That is the impression I take away from it anyway... As always YMMV

jellybean7

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:01 pm

castalla wrote:

Some people are never satisfied - I just switched to my Roku and new additions to the store include Senior Care TV and the Bible Teachers' Broadcasting Network .... what else could you want? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :wink: come to think of it... This is beginning to remind me of when I had cable TV. I had probably 200 channels and watched 4 or 5. Of course the cable companies would never let anyone order just the 5 channels because they could never justify the monthly cost.

wzwor

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:12 pm

philsoft wrote:
when people use the term "Person of Good Streaming Taste", it tends to be because they can not win a point based on it's merits, they resort to calling the other party a "Person of Good Streaming Taste", with the misguided belief that this somehow makes a point in their favor. That is the impression I take away from it anyway... As always YMMV

go with that

wzwor

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

jellybean7 wrote:
come to think of it... This is beginning to remind me of when I had cable TV. I had probably 200 channels and watched 4 or 5. Of course the cable companies would never let anyone order just the 5 channels because they could never justify the monthly cost.

I don't think that is precise. It may feel that way, but it is different. You buy a Roku for a flat fee then use it as you will. It's a decent Netflix/Vudu/Prime viewer. At $50 for the LT or a little more for the refurbs, it's tough to complain about the value -- assuming you do not want to play a disc. I'm not sure the premium for an R3 is justified by the remote headphone jack, but it is what it is.

If you can separate the hype from the reality, the Roku is still a good deal. It's only when you fall off the hype cliff to reality that people are disappointed.