Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ram130
Topic Author

Have you got the new interface update yet?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 am

Purpose of this thread is to find out who got the new interface update on their Roku LT, Roku HD and Roku 2. Feel free to comment if you got the update, where you are and your thoughts so far.

I'm in NY, No update as of yet. Still waiting, checking every other day. :shock: :mrgreen:
- Ram

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Have you got the new interface update yet?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 am

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

ram130
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks. I saw that. But this thread is different in that its for confirmation who already got the update so far. Just to give a general sense.
- Ram

wmichaels1

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 am

So, half way through the month, and no one has the update yet. :evil:

jeffrok

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 am

wmichaels1 wrote:

The date I heard was May 20th.. So we're a little behind May 20th, aren't we.. ;).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikebdoss

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 am

wmichaels1 wrote:

The email sent March 28th said "The next few weeks". It's been 18 days. The website says "All Roku 2, LT and HD (model #2500) customers will receive it as a free upgrade by May 2013."

It's not late yet.

mikeyts

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:01 pm

The latest date published by Roku was "by May 20th" (at the bottom of this page), so they could start rolling it out anytime and can't be considered late by anyone who gets it on or before May 20th. They've carefully used imprecise terms like "by such and such date" and "in a few weeks"; they can always say that they consider 8 weeks to be "a few" :mrgreen:.

I expect that this thread will sink into oblivion and that the first people to get the new UI on their 2nd gen Rokus will open new threads to announce it.

david0406

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 pm

They've carefully used imprecise terms like "by such and such date" and "in a few weeks"; they can always say that they consider 8 weeks to be "a few

Can you define these terms sorta like what the meaning of "is" is? :wink:
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express

ram130
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Lol I will remain optimistic. Their update method is just like Google. Announce it and take forever to deliver. Driving most users like me crazy in waiting. It would have been better they announced it same day they began roll outs.
Compare that to Apple. For Apple TV and iOS products. When they announce an update is available EVERYONE gets at the same time. When will companies learn :/
- Ram

mikebdoss

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 pm

ram130 wrote:
Lol I will remain optimistic. Their update method is just like Google. Announce it and take forever to deliver. Driving most users like me crazy in waiting. It would have been better they announced it same day they began roll outs.
Compare that to Apple. For Apple TV and iOS products. When they announce an update is available EVERYONE gets at the same time. When will companies learn :/

These forums are full of threads started by people who are angry that the Roku3 was only released a week after it was announced (they wanted more time). Companies can't win - people will be angry no matter they do.

mikeyts

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:32 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
These forums are full of threads started by people who are angry that the Roku3 was only released a week after it was announced (they wanted more time).

I thought that the announce date (March 5th, the PR is dated the 6th, though there was a Roku blog post on the 5th) was the actual ship date--it could be ordered from Roku or Amazon when the info went live on their website. I ordered mine from Amazon on March 6th and would have ordered it on the 5th but couldn't find the listing on Amazon (if you searched for Roku 3 it was 3 pages deep in the results :roll:); with Prime shipping I got it on the 8th.

I salute them for announcing that the new UI would be rolling out to the 2nd gen boxes at the same time they announced the Roku 3; they might have sold more Roku 3s if people thought that it was the only way they were getting the new interface :mrgreen:.
Last edited by mikeyts on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyts

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm

ram130 wrote:
For Apple TV and iOS products. When they announce an update is available EVERYONE gets at the same time. When will companies learn :/

Arguably a bad policy; if there's a problem missed in testing then all of your customers get screwed at the same time. A gradual rollout of a major release is prudent.

RickRansom

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm

ram130 wrote:

Remember Apple maps on iOS6. I thought the world was starting to crumble! :lol:

Staying back on topic, one poster once suggested that we all forget about the new update until it finally arrives so we'll all just be amazed about it. 8)
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

RickRansom wrote:
Staying back on topic, one poster once suggested that we all forget about the new update until it finally arrives so we'll all just be amazed about it. 8)

Sound advice ;).

In any situation like this (no matter what the product is, whether hardware or software), it's generally due to issues still needing to be ironed out.

The wording in the various messages regarding the UI is, admittedly, a bit easy to misconstrue. The bottom line is that it will be pushed out when it's pushed out, and not a moment sooner.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

david0406

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:51 pm

I think Roku needs some credit for announcing that a new interface that matches the R3 is coming for the R2 and LT so soon after the release of the R3. They could have said " So that we can sell as many R3 devices as we can in the initial roll out we are not going to update the R2 and LT for 6 months or not even announced an interface update for the other devices. Kudos to Roku for that.

I salute them for announcing that the new UI would be rolling out to the 2nd gen boxes at the same time they announced the Roku 3; they might have sold more Roku 3s if people thought that it was the only way they were getting the new interface .

^^
Yes. What Mike said.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express