Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

danat275

Re: Have you got the new interface update yet?

Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 am

something strange just happened,yesterday i got the new update on my roku hd with the new UI,and this morning i went to the channel store on my roku,then my roku did another update,this time it took the new UI away,and have me back the old one,did roku recall the new UI update?

BradC

Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 am

ram130 wrote:
I guess all the wrong places..Really there was no clear starting point on finding one. :mrgreen:

try here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31664
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦

nocable

Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am

danat275 wrote:
something strange just happened,yesterday i got the new update on my roku hd with the new UI,and this morning i went to the channel store on my roku,then my roku did another update,this time it took the new UI away,and have me back the old one,did roku recall the new UI update?

I was wondering about that. I don't need to do anything... just one day, I will bring up Roku, and it will have the new UI update already downloaded....

I'm really IN NO HURRY to get the "new" UI if there are still bugs to work out, so maybe mine won't roll out until the end of the month.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV

meandme

Fri May 03, 2013 10:31 am

I didn't have any jerky or slow problem with the old UI before with all the channels I have.

But as the person said above, I noticed with the new UI, I went to the update and just decided to check for an update for no reason, and it said I had 5xxx update and 4xxx update was available. I backed out. LOL. It gave me that option again today when I was just checking for an update just to see if it'd do it again.

RickRansom

Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am

meandme wrote:
...I went to the update and just decided to check for an update for no reason, and it said I had 5xxx update and 4xxx update was available...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

mikeyts

Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 pm

meandme wrote:
...it said I had 5xxx update and 4xxx update was available. I backed out. LOL. It gave me that option again today when I was just checking for an update just to see if it'd do it again.

That was nice of them. I suspect that the option will eventually disappear after they have a build of 5.0 that they're confident in.

meandme

Fri May 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh yeah, I'm sure it'll disappear, and it may not even downgrade me, but who knows. It possibly might when it checks on it's own daily, but since I've been checking it hasn't checked on it's own and accepted the new, yet older UI update.
I don't wanna go back to the old one, because I want to try and get used to this new one.. ugh

meandme

Fri May 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I've had more lockups and self reboots on it's own in the past 24 hours of having the new UI than I have in months of daily use of the previous UI, even when going from a chan to the home, and opening another chan. My usual procedure at this time of day.

I hate the way the "add a channel" adds the channel right away, instead of when you exit the channel store like it did before. Sometimes it takes a long while to install that channel, when I was wanting to go and look at a bunch more, then walk away and let them install. Instead of sitting here, one by one installing a ton of chans.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri May 03, 2013 4:45 pm

^ That 268 channels you have installed is the root of the problem. There's not enough memory on the box to store that many channels, so many of them are having to load from Roku's server, slowing everything down. If you really need that many channels installed, an R2 XD, XS, or an R3, all of which accept a microSD card to expand channel storage memory, would be a better choice than your HD.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

ram130
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 4:49 pm

For slow performance, you guys might want to do a "Factory Reset" and let it reload all your channels again. This will clear any old cache build up. I'm sure they would'nt release an update to older devices with worst experience. Then again...

Also does it reload all your private channels as well?

BradC wrote:
ram130 wrote:
I guess all the wrong places..Really there was no clear starting point on finding one. :mrgreen:

try here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31664

Thanks Man! :)
- Ram

kc8pql

Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 pm

ram130 wrote:
For slow performance, you guys might want to do a "Factory Reset" and let it reload all your channels again.

That won't help him. He just has too many channels installed. His HD has memory for maybe 70 channels stored on the box.
His other 200+ have to load from Roku's server when he selects them. If he's channel surfing, things are going to get really slow.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

ram130
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm

kc8pql wrote:
ram130 wrote:
For slow performance, you guys might want to do a "Factory Reset" and let it reload all your channels again.

That won't help him. He just has too many channels installed. His HD has memory for maybe 70 channels stored on the box.
His other 200+ have to load from Roku's server when he selects them. If he's channel surfing, things are going to get really slow.

I suppose Roku at the time thought that was the standard. :mrgreen: ..Well, Time for a upgrade! Seems like his only option. At least now I know what will happen to my HD as well. Hmm I wonder how much channels the Roku 3 supports..
- Ram

mikebdoss

Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 pm

kc8pql wrote:
ram130 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that too when I read through the thread again...260+ channels is insane. I can't imagine any one person finding that many channels worth of content worth watching (or enough unique content to justify having that many).

meandme

Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm

So how come I didn't have a problem before, until this new update?
Isn't this update supposed to be better? A step forward? Maybe it'll go away, but if I didn't have a problem before, then I shouldn't now. Nothing has changed except for the new update yesterday.

dwanthny

Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm

meandme wrote:
So how come I didn't have a problem before, until this new update? Isn't this update supposed to be better? A step forward?

It seems as if it is definitely a step backwards for you. Between the increased instability and the removal of the fast forward and rewind to jump 5 channels at a time there is no denying you have lost some capability.