Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Have you got the new interface update yet?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 am

in1ear wrote:
You look up a movie and even if it's on a service you get free or subscribe to like Crackle or Netflix, it steers you to a premium service like Vudu, Amazon (if not a Prime member), or Blockbuster.

I don't find that to be true at all.

Basil

Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 am

One other thing about "worth it." It's a free update. So, yeah, it's worth it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

mikeyts

Tue May 07, 2013 11:10 am

in1ear wrote:
You look up a movie and even if it's on a service you get free or subscribe to like Crackle or Netflix, it steers you to a premium service like Vudu, Amazon (if not a Prime member), or Blockbuster.

Can you cite an example? I went to Crackle and picked four titles at random from the "Featured Movies" row (Snatch, Identity, Gattaca and The 6th Day) and searched for them on my Roku 3. In all cases if it were available free (or by subscription) from Crackle, Netflix or Hulu Plus those matches were at the top of the list, followed by rental matches on VUDU, Amazon and Blockbuster. I think that it sorts them by ascending cost.

Recently I'd been wanting to watch the television series Legend of the Seeker again but for some reason Netflix only had season 2. I used search on Roku 3 and it showed me that season 1 was available on Hulu Plus (and for purchase from Amazon and VUDU).

in1ear

Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

When "SEARCH" was added, it may have been corrected by now. Check in the "Problems with Crackle" threads regarding specific movies. The "Da Vinci Code" was one that didn't appear as being on Crackle when it actually was, for example.

Then it was "that's not our fault" that's "THEIR fault" from both sides. Again look at the threads regarding issues with "SEARCH".

I enjoy my Roku... I'm not just making this stuff up. IF the issues are corrected in the "new and improved" SEARCH update, GREAT!
Getting back to topic, hrrhmm, the update ... it IS free... it reminds me of a Windows 8 interface... the little check marks for what channels are in your list is nice... the BIG advertisement isn't... it does scroll faster, it does categorize the channels to be able to find a certain one faster NOT PROCESSOR Speed just a more efficient layout originally introduced on Nowhere Man's My Channel channel ages ago. it DOES have MORE channel info (cost, description) at a glance. The remote for the 3 with a faster processor, the headphone jack, the motion sensor, USB feature, Angry Birds "space", etc STILL ONLY works with the 3.

mikeyts

Tue May 07, 2013 6:04 pm

in1ear wrote:
The "Da Vinci Code" was one that didn't appear as being on Crackle when it actually was, for example.

Can't test that one--it's not on Crackle any more, according to Crackle's search function. I suspect that the integrated Search feature of the new UI doesn't have that bug. If people complained about it they'd have fixed it and I'm sure that it was never intentional.
Last edited by mikeyts on Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEndless

Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm

in1ear wrote:
just a more efficient layout originally introduced on Nowhere Man's My Channel channel ages ago.

I think you might be referring to my My Channels channel. I'm not Nowhereman, but I seem to get that a lot... :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Gilgamesh

Tue May 07, 2013 6:10 pm

TheEndless wrote:
... I'm not Nowhereman, but I seem to get that a lot... :P

But do you play him on TV? :wink: :mrgreen:

mikeyts

Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm

in1ear wrote:
The remote for the 3 with a faster processor, the headphone jack, the motion sensor, USB feature, Angry Birds "space", etc STILL ONLY works with the 3.

Well the Roku 3's remote's never gonna work with the gen 2 boxes; it uses a different sort of RF control, Wi-Fi Direct instead of Bluetooth. I assume that Angry Birds Space requires the faster processor.

What "USB feature" are you talking about? Roku 2 XS has a USB connection and I haven't heard that Roku 3 can do anything with it that 2 XS couldn't.

in1ear

Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 am

TheEndless wrote:
in1ear wrote:
just a more efficient layout originally introduced on Nowhere Man's My Channel channel ages ago.

I think you might be referring to my My Channels channel. I'm not Nowhereman, but I seem to get that a lot... :P

SORRY ENDLESS!!!!!

mikeyts I did point out that ANGRY BIRDS space "STILL ONLY works with the 3". Thank you for pointing it out again. I also did point out the 3 remote won't work with earlier models.

Sorry for my being unclear here. The 3 has USB port on the side... And an Ethernet and HDMI port in the back, as well as a microSD slot, dual band wireless.. and basically with a FEW exceptions / features, the 3 doesn't do anything that the 1st ones didn't. maybe faster, maybe better but.... STILL.

mikeyts

Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 pm

in1ear wrote:
mikeyts I did point out that ANGRY BIRDS space "STILL ONLY works with the 3". Thank you for pointing it out again. I also did point out the 3 remote won't work with earlier models.

Yes--I was responding to your points in the post that I quoted. Again, the Roku 3 remote is never going to work with any of the earlier models; none of them have the necessary 802.11 compatible radio. It is possible that Angry Birds Space is never going to be available for the earlier models because it needs the Roku 3's faster processor. Such is life.

Sorry for my being unclear here. The 3 has USB port on the side... And an Ethernet and HDMI port in the back, as well as a microSD slot, dual band wireless.. and basically with a FEW exceptions / features, the 3 doesn't do anything that the 1st ones didn't. maybe faster, maybe better but.... STILL.

Yes, it's been noted in other threads and by tech bloggers everywhere that the Roku 3 is not a revolutionary improvement over the 2 XS. But I think that this thread is about the new UI software and not the hardware.

meandme

Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I have problems with channel icons not loading for a good 10 seconds when scrolling. On 2 different rokus, 1 only has about 25 channels.

I hope that gets fixed, and moving channels is buggy.

TheEndless

Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

meandme wrote:
I have problems with channel icons not loading for a good 10 seconds when scrolling. On 2 different rokus, 1 only has about 25 channels.

I hope that gets fixed, and moving channels is buggy.

I was seeing the same thing earlier today. It stopped doing it after I rebooted the box. Have you tried that?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bohmmeister

Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 am

No update for my HD 2500.
I'm really eager to see the UI pushed out and I'm resisting the temptation to just get the Roku 3.
Hang in there Roku nation!

philsoft

Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am

bohmmeister wrote:
I'm resisting the temptation to just get the Roku 3.

Resistance is futile!! :)

ram130
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 am

Still no update yet, I've reduced my checking to = none, just leave it streaming my radio. Hate the fact I get "spoiled" by Apple and Google update systems..

in1ear wrote:
ram130 wrote:
Soo..in other words...new experience...no new features. Update = Not Worth it?

What I AM saying is: Remember how exciting it was when you first got your Roku? The new interface update will NOT give you that excitement again... and the "anticipation" factor? Like Christmas - wishing for a new bicycle and getting underwear and socks. The search feature? ever since they added the search feature, it's a "failure to launch". You look up a movie and even if it's on a service you get free or subscribe to like Crackle or Netflix, it steers you to a premium service like Vudu, Amazon (if not a Prime member), or Blockbuster. The BENEFICIARIES (financially) with the most to gain from the "search" option are THE PAY services. If the feature doesn't completely and accurately provide the user with ALL info, what good is it? like a baby monitor that "sorta works" sometimes.

Your right..I'm actually not excited from waiting so long since it officially started 10 days ago..I wish they'd move faster. But again it's "because bugs may crop up", funny i've seen bug reports already coming up, the update still going out. Anyway I'm caring less for this update, just want the "bug fixes" thats it. I'd prefer Roku not advertise it on the channel screen so I'm not reminded of an update every time I scroll pass the store. :( ...think its been there for two months now.
- Ram