Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

What Channels would you like to see a UI make over?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Just list the channels you'd like to see. However quote ones that others already list and add a +1 with your comments. :wink:

I'd say Twit.TV & Revision3. The UI for both of these is clunky. Needs a redesign closer to Cnets.

Maybe we can shoot this thread to the companies of these channels so they know it's time for a redesign. :)

david0406

Re: What Channels would you like to see a UI make over?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 pm

MOG needs to be able to seperate genres.
Roku N-1000
Roku HD 2000C
Roku LT
Roku 2 XD
Roku 3
Roku 3
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 2 4210X
Roku 1 2710X
Roku Express

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

david0406 wrote:
MOG needs to be able to seperate genres.

+1 I agree.

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Netflix, I've got Netflix on 4 or 5 devices and the Roku interface is by far the ugliest. The cover art is very low resolution and the colors almost look 8-bit.

mikeyts

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
Netflix, I've got Netflix on 4 or 5 devices and the Roku interface is by far the ugliest. The cover art is very low resolution and the colors almost look 8-bit.

I can't agree--it's not a great looking UI but the poster thumbs seem okay. I have the common (PS3-style) UI on PS3, TiVo, WD TV Live and three BDPs; I suppose it's more attractive but it's a lot less responsive than Roku's, even on PS3. I believe that it's built on HTML5/WebKit (TiVo's is mounted on Adobe AIR).

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:19 pm

mikeyts wrote:
Endlessknight wrote:

I can't agree--it's not a great looking UI but the poster thumbs seem okay. I have the common (PS3-style) UI on PS3, TiVo, WD TV Live and three BDPs; I suppose it's more attractive but it's a lot less responsive than Roku's, even on PS3. I believe that it's built on HTML5/WebKit (TiVo's is mounted on Adobe AIR).

What's size TV are you watching it on? On my 65" 1080P TV the low res cover art looks horrible compared to other devices.

testbest

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 pm

HULUplus, it's horrible. I'm a tech guy and I get annoyed with the way it's layed out. It's hard to get back and forth to ANYTHING without fooling around way too long.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
mikeyts wrote:
Endlessknight wrote:

What's size TV are you watching it on? On my 65" 1080P TV the low res cover art looks horrible compared to other devices.

I'm on a 720p TV (and had a 1080p at one point before it short circuited during a move), but the artwork was and still remains fine for me.

I personally prefer the Roku setup than the PS3. Just feels easier to navigate to me.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
I'm on a 720p TV (and had a 1080p at one point before it short circuited during a move), but the artwork was and still remains fine for me.

I personally prefer the Roku setup than the PS3. Just feels easier to navigate to me.

C. Shawn Smith

What size TV? In this case size does matter lol. On such a large TV the low res art does look really bad. Very blurry and dull. Never used a PS3 so I can't compare.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

What size TV? In this case size does matter lol. On such a large TV the low res art does look really bad. Very blurry and dull. Never used a PS3 so I can't compare.

The 720p's are 32 inch, and the 1080p was a 42 inch (I think). But one thing is that I had the 1080p at 720p right at first due to an issue I was having, and even at 720p, the 42-inch was decent quality (side-by-side, it was at least 720p quality compared to a standard CRT TV ((480p)).

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Endlessknight wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

The 720p's are 32 inch, and the 1080p was a 42 inch (I think). But one thing is that I had the 1080p at 720p right at first due to an issue I was having, and even at 720p, the 42-inch was decent quality (side-by-side, it was at least 720p quality compared to a standard CRT TV ((480p)).

C. Shawn Smith

Somewhat proving my point. A 65" Tv is nearly 2.5 times larger than 42" (area wise).

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
Somewhat proving my point. A 65" Tv is nearly 2.5 times larger than 42" (area wise).

Can you take a picture of it with your phone or camera? I'd be interested for personal reasons. My parents have a much larger TV (and I'm looking to get one soon), but I'd love to see the difference, because technically, the difference shouldn't be any more major than going from 420p to 720p (mathematically speaking). To date, I haven't seen such a blurry and dull image despite the resolution, even on larger TVs. It may be my old age though :)

C. Shawn Smith
Last edited by RokuShawnS on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarification
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

FX4

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:54 pm

YouTube, LOL, just stirring the pot.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 pm

FX4 wrote:
YouTube, LOL, just stirring the pot.

<resignation>I quit</resignation>

C. Shawn Smith

PS - j/k ... I hate you FX4 :P
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Endlessknight wrote:

Can you take a picture of it with your phone or camera? I'd be interested for personal reasons. My parents have a much larger TV (and I'm looking to get one soon), but I'd love to see the difference, because technically, the difference shouldn't be any more major than going from 420p to 720p (mathematically speaking). To date, I haven't seen such a blurry and dull image despite the resolution, even on larger TVs. It may be my old age though :)

C. Shawn Smith

It's not something that can really be photographed well (don't know how to take screens caps on my TV). But here goes.

Here's a great looking UI

And here's Roku

The pictures don't do the first one justice, it's clear, crisp and vibrant. The Roku is dull and blurry.

Edit: Sorry don't know why the pics got cropped.