Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: What Channels would you like to see a UI make over?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Hmm, take a pic of the same title on both. I can see a slight difference in what you posted, but it's what I've come to expect, so it doesn't bother me.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:13 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Hmm, take a pic of the same title on both. I can see a slight difference in what you posted, but it's what I've come to expect, so it doesn't bother me.

C. Shawn Smith

It's just something you have to see with the naked eye, you're never going to be able to see the full difference with a pics from my cell phone.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

It's just something you have to see with the naked eye, you're never going to be able to see the full difference with a pics from my cell phone.

Actually, I used to work in the print industry, dealing with monitor calibrations, resolution issues, etc. I've come to recognize minor differentiations in jpgs (would be better with PNGs, but I can do it with jpgs too). I've a trained eye or two ;)

C. Shawn Smith

PS - I can already see the differences in what you posted ... it doesn't bother me on a personal level, but I can see it.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

danat275

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Crow550 wrote:
david0406 wrote:
MOG needs to be able to seperate genres.

+1 I agree.

i agree!!,i also would love to be able to browse mog alphabetically for artist ,as it is now, it's not a good set up to discover new music or artist

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Endlessknight wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

Actually, I used to work in the print industry, dealing with monitor calibrations, resolution issues, etc. I've come to recognize minor differentiations in jpgs (would be better with PNGs, but I can do it with jpgs too). I've a trained eye or two ;)

C. Shawn Smith

PS - I can already see the differences in what you posted ... it doesn't bother me on a personal level, but I can see it.

I still say my cell phone camera doesn't highlight the magnitude of the difference. Also I'm guess the reasoning it doesn't bother you as much is because you are used to the Roku and are watching on a small TV. For me I first got used to the crisp vibrant interface and then started using the Roku and man the difference in shocking.

mikeyts

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
The pictures don't do the first one justice, it's clear, crisp and vibrant. The Roku is dull and blurry.

Edit: Sorry don't know why the pics got cropped.

Whatever--you can see the whole thing by right-clicking on them and choosing "open in new tab" or "open in new window" (personally I hate large photos and tables and such inline in forum posts--unless they're wrapped in [spoiler] tags, unavailable here--but that's a personal pet peeve).

I watch on a 46" 1080p LCD panel from 5-7 feet away. From your photos I can see that the common UI graphics are sharper, but the Roku ones don't bother me. The absolutely lag-free navigation command response is some compensation. I have been tending to use a device with the common UI (WD TV Live) because it also has this stream status display that I love. The Roku is far, far more responsive to navigation commands, starts from the Roku menu far, far more quickly and starts streams an order of magnitude more quickly though (all even more true of the Roku 3).

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Endlessknight wrote:
I still say my cell phone camera doesn't highlight the magnitude of the difference. Also I'm guess the reasoning it doesn't bother you as much is because you are used to the Roku and are watching on a small TV. For me I first got used to the crisp vibrant interface and then started using the Roku and man the difference in shocking.

The difference is that I'm a photoshop guru, so I know how to manipulate filters to bring out differences. Those differences (because of experience) I can recognize as issues (or non-issues as the case might be). I'm VERY critical when it comes to images ... since my previous job involved printed media, I became very critical in quality and color space, and know how to adjust based on RGB vs CMYK etc, and at different resolutions. Can't count the number of 1 pixel issues in print media that forced me to spend an hour recalibrating a machine :mrgreen:

if you knew my brother, he'd tell you, "Shut up, and just do what he says." I'm that critical.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - you can also send full resolution images to ssmith@roku.com. File size shouldn't matter on my end.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Endlessknight

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Endlessknight wrote:

The difference is that I'm a photoshop guru, so I know how to manipulate filters to bring out differences. Those differences (because of experience) I can recognize as issues (or non-issues as the case might be). I'm VERY critical when it comes to images ... since my previous job involved printed media, I became very critical in quality and color space, and know how to adjust based on RGB vs CMYK etc, and at different resolutions. Can't count the number of 1 pixel issues in print media that forced me to spend an hour recalibrating a machine :mrgreen:

if you knew my brother, he'd tell you, "Shut up, and just do what he says." I'm that critical.

C. Shawn Smith

PS - you can also send full resolution images to ssmith@roku.com. File size shouldn't matter on my end.

Sent. But in the end, not matter how great you are with PS, you can't over come the basic limits of a cheap camera. Photoshop can't accurately re-add info that was lost.

reddice

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I agree that the Netflix UI is the ugliest I have seen. The problem is that the cover art is squished and not at a native resolution. The things is that the Amazon UI and HBO UI look better because the artwork aspect is correct.

However the Netflix UI is fast and does not lag. I keep saying that they have to fix the cover art aspect ratio, make it smaller to fit three columns and when you go into a series you can choose seasons easier like the Amazon channel does.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

LizJ

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 am

I posted in another thread that the Viki beta is definitely the least-functional UI I have seen on Roku. Maybe some of you in the UK can tell me if the Viki channel you have (which I understand is already available in the channel store for you folks) is the same as what I'm experiencing.

The app uses a physical layout similar to Netflix's app. A title (in this case, genre) appears above a scrolling row. However, instead of showing a show title in the row itself, it shows individual episodes of multiple shows. You have to scroll through all available episodes of one show to find the next show (yes, at least they put the show's episodes together). The shows are not in alphabetical order.

There is no search functionality.

The amount of content is much smaller than what is available on the iPad app.

Viki does not have a subscription model, the episodes are free if you don't mind advertising, but they charge $1.99 an episode if you want to watch without commercials.

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:19 am

beq wrote:
BTW does it seem like the Vudu channel has a more "next-gen" UI? Would people here prefer to see similar advancements in other channels, or do most of you actually not like it?

Visually I like it a lot, although there are some UI interaction issues (I end up on the wrong object about 20% of the time because I think I can navigate down or over in a certain number of clicks, but it doesn't move to exactly where I thought it would).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

kc8pql

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm

At least part of it is that Vudu runs only on R2 &3 boxes, which means they use more resources than channels available on the R1 as well.
That's also why most people think Hulu+ runs better on the R3. Roku still encourages developers to support the R1s if possible. Overhauling channels may
mean the developer would need to maintain two versions of the channel or abandon the R1 users.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

gonzotek

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

beq wrote:
Me too. Just curious, did the Vudu and Hulu channel developers use the same BrightScript SDK UI components as everyone else, or all built from scratch?
There's definitely some (possibly a quite large) degree of customizing going on in those two channels. I'd love to know more about how they achieve their effects.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

renojim

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Hulu+ uses WebKit and Vudu may as well. It isn't available for general development.

-JT

kdramafan89

Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 am

LizJ wrote:
I posted in another thread that the Viki beta is definitely the least-functional UI I have seen on Roku. Maybe some of you in the UK can tell me if the Viki channel you have (which I understand is already available in the channel store for you folks) is the same as what I'm experiencing.

The app uses a physical layout similar to Netflix's app. A title (in this case, genre) appears above a scrolling row. However, instead of showing a show title in the row itself, it shows individual episodes of multiple shows. You have to scroll through all available episodes of one show to find the next show (yes, at least they put the show's episodes together). The shows are not in alphabetical order.

There is no search functionality.

The amount of content is much smaller than what is available on the iPad app.

Viki does not have a subscription model, the episodes are free if you don't mind advertising, but they charge $1.99 an episode if you want to watch without commercials.

I definitely agree with this. Viki needs to take some tips from Dramafevers roku channel