Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
ichunes
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

Continue Watching - Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

Does anyone know how to stop the Roku from asking me to press ok to continue watching after I have been watching for a while? Having to press ok several times during a marathon is really annoying.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 am

We'd need to know which channel you're referring to before we can help you. That being said, it's probably unlikely that the channel owner would have given you the ability to disable that "feature" as its purpose is to prevent users from using their bandwidth unnecessarily (like accidentally turning off the television without stopping the stream first).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 am

In this age of Switched Digital VIdeo many cable channels will do the same thing (though possibly less often than your streaming video channel).
 
meandme
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 pm

yea, like said. It's a way from wasting bandwidth when someone walks away for awhile. Just like how people leave lights on in another room, or the tv n while they're gone on vacation. lol
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm

...and just to be clear, it's implemented by the channel owner, not Roku, so there's no
global setting on the box to turn it off.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
ichunes
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 pm

It is the Neflix channel that I have noticed the prompt come up. I haven't seen the message with the other channel;s because I do not watch them as much.
 
meandme
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I have never saw it happen on netflix. Did you have like a playlist or something setup where it played 1 movie right after another or something? Longer than like 2 hours or whatever?
 
ichunes
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:16 pm

TheEndless wrote:
We'd need to know which channel you're referring to before we can help you. That being said, it's probably unlikely that the channel owner would have given you the ability to disable that "feature" as its purpose is to prevent users from using their bandwidth unnecessarily (like accidentally turning off the television without stopping the stream first).


It is netflix that it is happening on. I understand what the prompt is to limit bandwidth. I just which it wouldn't appear in the middle of a program. The message prompt should only appear at the end during the ending credits.
Also none of my other streaming boxes...boxee, wd, ps3, xbox will interrupt the viewing session like the netflix app on roku does.
 
ichunes
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:18 pm

meandme wrote:
I have never saw it happen on netflix. Did you have like a playlist or something setup where it played 1 movie right after another or something? Longer than like 2 hours or whatever?


No playlist. I am just watching episodes of certain shows in order. The prompt usually comes up after a couple of hours and right in the middle of a program. That is the most annoying part.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:24 pm

ichunes wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
We'd need to know which channel you're referring to before we can help you. That being said, it's probably unlikely that the channel owner would have given you the ability to disable that "feature" as its purpose is to prevent users from using their bandwidth unnecessarily (like accidentally turning off the television without stopping the stream first).


It is netflix that it is happening on. I understand what the prompt is to limit bandwidth. I just which it wouldn't appear in the middle of a program. The message prompt should only appear at the end during the ending credits.
Also none of my other streaming boxes...boxee, wd, ps3, xbox will interrupt the viewing session like the netflix app on roku does.

I have never seen any such prompt in Netflix. In fact, it doesn't even make sense in Netflix, because it's not possible to leave that channel streaming indefinitely. Are you sure it's not a message that your TV is putting up?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:30 pm

TheEndless wrote:
ichunes wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
We'd need to know which channel you're referring to before we can help you. That being said, it's probably unlikely that the channel owner would have given you the ability to disable that "feature" as its purpose is to prevent users from using their bandwidth unnecessarily (like accidentally turning off the television without stopping the stream first).


It is netflix that it is happening on. I understand what the prompt is to limit bandwidth. I just which it wouldn't appear in the middle of a program. The message prompt should only appear at the end during the ending credits.
Also none of my other streaming boxes...boxee, wd, ps3, xbox will interrupt the viewing session like the netflix app on roku does.

I have never seen any such prompt in Netflix. In fact, it doesn't even make sense in Netflix, because it's not possible to leave that channel streaming indefinitely. Are you sure it's not a message that your TV is putting up?


+1 ... Netflix doesn't have this kind of feature.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Netflix has that feature on other devices but not Roku. Are you sure that you're watching Netflix on your Roku when you see it?
 
ichunes
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 2:03 pm

mikeyts wrote:
Netflix has that feature on other devices but not Roku. Are you sure that you're watching Netflix on your Roku when you see it?


Yes I am positive it is netflix. The prompt occurred during my monster madmen sessions. Maybe this prompt is only on the netflix app on roku 3.
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm

ichunes wrote:
mikeyts wrote:
Netflix has that feature on other devices but not Roku. Are you sure that you're watching Netflix on your Roku when you see it?


Yes I am positive it is netflix. The prompt occurred during my monster madmen sessions. Maybe this prompt is only on the netflix app on roku 3.

Definitely not on mine. I've never seen it and most of what I watch on Netflix are television series episodes. Could you try to get a picture of it to post?
 
ichunes
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Turn off "Press OK to Continue" prompt.

Fri May 03, 2013 2:08 pm

It is netflix that it is happening on. I understand what the prompt is to limit bandwidth. I just which it wouldn't appear in the middle of a program. The message prompt should only appear at the end during the ending credits.
Also none of my other streaming boxes...boxee, wd, ps3, xbox will interrupt the viewing session like the netflix app on roku does.[/quote]
I have never seen any such prompt in Netflix. In fact, it doesn't even make sense in Netflix, because it's not possible to leave that channel streaming indefinitely. Are you sure it's not a message that your TV is putting up?[/quote]

+1 ... Netflix doesn't have this kind of feature.

C. Shawn Smith[/quote]
Netflix does have this feature. Do you have Roku 3? Maybe this feature is only enabled on the Roku 3 version of the neflix app. This is definitely not a prompt that my tv is throwing up. It is coming from the Roku.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deke40 and 28 guests