Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

theuser86

Re: shut off roku ?

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Search the forums - multiple have posted about wanting the Roku to power off, and all have been told it's a device that is always on and when not in use it has a screensaver.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:39 pm

firedup wrote:
theuser86 wrote:
firedup wrote:
this is a legitimate complaint/request.

That will be ignored.

why?

For several reasons, Roku wants all boxes/sticks to be running the most current version platform and channel software.
Auto-updating always on devices is a simple way to assure that happens.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mikebdoss

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:17 pm

firedup wrote:
theuser86 wrote:
Most people use a HDTV which you have a remote to turn off.

However, get one of those clapping power switches that my granny uses, just clap before bed and abracadabra the monitor is off.

No they don't.

Do you HONESTLY think most people have their Rokus attached to something that's not a TV?

firedup

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:23 pm

kc8pql wrote:
For several reasons, Roku wants all boxes/sticks to be running the most current version platform and channel software.

The streamer does not need to shut off. It simply needs to shut off the video out. My DVR does not turn off. In fact, it records shows with the video off.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

mikebdoss

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:28 am

firedup wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

The streamer does not need to shut off. It simply needs to shut off the video out. My DVR does not turn off. In fact, it records shows with the video off.

Which would cause problems for some people too (my TVs turn off when they're on an input without video for too long).

firedup

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Which would cause problems for some people too (my TVs turn off when they're on an input without video for too long).

that's the point. i also have a switch that changes to the active hdmi port automatically. When you power on a device, that port becomes active. It will switch away from the Roku and the FTV, but will not switch back. So, one more remote to manage. FTV blanks the screen but does not turn off the video. Seems like a baby step to get this right.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

somebody

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:50 pm

To ask for even more than a simple off switch, how about a sleep feature.

I''m sure the power usage is negligible and auto-updates are a good reason not to turn it off completely, but as ISPs move towards data caps having a "sleep" function would be ideal.

If I fall asleep while watching something that continuously streams (e.g many of the news channels) it will play all night and chew up bandwidth.

I've seen one Roku channel which has a sleep feature within the channel itself so it won't keep streaming after however long you tell it. I can then set my TV to turn off at the same time. Of course, that means using 2 remotes and a few extra steps. If the video output would turn off too, it would save me the trouble. Otherwise Roku just goes to screen saver and I have a huge digital clock on the TV when I wake up.

I'm sure the TV uses much more power, but not as big a deal but it seems this could be an easy to implement feature and a fair number of people seem to want something like that.

allins

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

I suspect that the fact that the Roku does not power down caused a chunk of my monthly Internet allotment to be wasted. At home I use a Blu-ray player as my Netflix box. When I'm ready to quit watching, my Harmony univeral remote shuts everything off, thus terminating the Netflix session.
At the cottage, I use a Roku 3 for Netflix. Out of habit on a few occasions, I simply did the same thing, hit the off button on the Harmony without stopping the Netflix show (Sons of Anarchy) and happily went to bed. I have a 30GB internet plan and half way through the month, I got a warning message from my ISP saying I had used over 90% of my quota. Considering I was only using it on weekends and 1 week's vacation, I was quite surprised.
I'm suspecting that the Roku happily continued showing episodes, not knowing that nothing was receiving it. The ISP's web site doesn't have any details on where/when I used the quota.
Is this scenario possible? One other thing, the Roku goes through an HDMI switcher that never turns off either, so if it has brains to stop sending when it loses HDMI signal, this might screw that up.

kc8pql

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:20 pm

You're probably correct as you were watching a series at the time. It probably just continued to play. It's always best
to exit any channel to end the session when you're finished watching.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Elijah_Baley

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 pm

allins wrote:
I suspect that the fact that the Roku does not power down caused a chunk of my monthly Internet allotment to be wasted. At home I use a Blu-ray player as my Netflix box. When I'm ready to quit watching, my Harmony univeral remote shuts everything off, thus terminating the Netflix session.
At the cottage, I use a Roku 3 for Netflix. Out of habit on a few occasions, I simply did the same thing, hit the off button on the Harmony without stopping the Netflix show (Sons of Anarchy) and happily went to bed. I have a 30GB internet plan and half way through the month, I got a warning message from my ISP saying I had used over 90% of my quota. Considering I was only using it on weekends and 1 week's vacation, I was quite surprised.
I'm suspecting that the Roku happily continued showing episodes, not knowing that nothing was receiving it. The ISP's web site doesn't have any details on where/when I used the quota.
Is this scenario possible? One other thing, the Roku goes through an HDMI switcher that never turns off either, so if it has brains to stop sending when it loses HDMI signal, this might screw that up.

You could just program your Harmony to send the "Home" key when you turn off everything. It would, probably, be a good idea to send two or three "homes" on power down.

Actually I had to turn that off when I set up my Harmony+Roku as I did not want the "home" sent on power down and it was the default behavior.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

allins

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:17 pm

You could just program your Harmony to send the "Home" key when you turn off everything. It would, probably, be a good idea to send two or three "homes" on power down.

Actually I had to turn that off when I set up my Harmony+Roku as I did not want the "home" sent on power down and it was the default behavior.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. I hate to rely on my memory for anything! :-)