Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Roku 2XS worthless after update

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 am

I have two of the Roku 2XS models both of which are essentially worthless after the forced firmware update. One of the units only had 3 channels left on it after the update and won't let me add any channels to it. The other unit was consistently locking up enough that I did a factory reset on it only to have it not let me add any channels at all. Both let me navigate to the channel store and select the "Add Channel" option, the message pops up saying "Adding Channel" but it does nothing.

My channel listing at roku.com is intact and says I currently have a bunch of channels installed, but that isn't the case. Neither of my units have all of those channels. I closed my roku account and restarted it and that in addition to a factory reset allowed me to get to 156 channels on one of the units then it stopped updating. I had better performance and more channels prior to the firmware update so I think the beta testing at Roku was for crap.

Roku support is worthless as well as they tell me to reset my devices which I've done a bunch of times only to continue to have issues. I'm using a wired connection as I know wireless can be flaky. Anybody have any suggestions?

wingrider

Re: Roku 2XS worthless after update

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 am

I'd PM Shawn the moderator with your CS case number, model and serial numbers from the units etc.and see if he can help. My 2-XS's after the update can act a little buggy at times mostly lag but nothing like what your experiencing, good luck.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 am

Shot in the dark. Remove the SD cards from the units, see if your issues go away.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I don't have any SD card inserted into either of them. I also forgot to post that when I manually try to check for updates or add channels on the device itself, it displays "adding channel" or "checking for update" both of which are followed by "checking connection" which eventually disappears with no action taken. When I examine my network connection status, wired, it is set with a correct IP address and the connection test says it is connected to the internet.

ACraigo

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Reboot your router and/or try the wireless.

You may be connected to the internet, but unable to actually transfer any data - stranger things have happened. Since you have two units unable to complete the same operation I have to suspect the path to the data. The first step would be to eliminate all possibilities in your local network.

There are folks that can go into more detail for you, but they seem to be off celebrating, sweating and awaiting 3rd degree burns just after dark.

Do what you can and try to remain calm.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Each Roku 2XS is in a different geographic location in Indiana. One is in South Bend on d-link 802.11n wifi with AT&T 6Mbps DSL and after the forced update that left me with 3 channels after having several hundred before, and won't add any further and started locking up so I did the factory reset which only made it worse. Can't add anything afterwards, zero channels. Other devices on the network see the XS and the XS says it has an internet connection. It does have a valid IP. I can register the device and link it to my account. No other device on the network is having internet connectivity issues, wired or wireless.

The other XS is with me in West Lafayette on netgear router via wired Cat6 gigabit ethernet LAN with Wintek fiber at 25Mbps. Done several factory resets. Sometimes some channels add but not all, then it stops updating and won't add any more and behaves flaky meaning quits responding. Other devices on the network see the XS and the XS says it has an internet connection. It does have a valid IP. I can register the device and link it to my account. No other device on the network is having any internet connectivity issues.

I really don't know what if any additional troubleshooting can be done. I think I've covered all the bases. That's why I took to the forums for suggestions. These units were fine before the update and afterwards are $200 worth of plastic paperweights. Never had issues of this magnitude with my WD TV or Apple TV.

Basil

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:01 pm

You had "several hundred channels" on a Roku 2 XS, but no SD card?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Prior to the forced firmware update that brought the new interface I had around 300 channels that I setup when I first activated the very first roku 2xs I bought last fall. I went through the channel store page online and greedily grabbed up every channel I could find and later found that a lot of them I wasn't interested in.

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 pm

I never have used an SD card with either of my 2XS.

trekkeriii

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 pm

STUMPY13F wrote:

So you took the SD cards out when you got them? You realize the Roku 2 XS comes with SD cards pre-installed, right? Also, I imagine part of the issue is the shear number of channels you have on your account is the problem.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm looking at both of the units. I have them both with me now. The micro-SD slot that is user accessible to expand storage is empty with nothing in it. The box indicates that I have the option to add a micro-SD card should I choose and at additional expense. Prior to the firmware update, both devices worked fine.

After a factory reset, I can't add channels. I can't reinstall them. I can't get the devices to update them and thus have nothing to watch. My online account listing says "Installed" when on both of them there is currently nothing there in the menus.

DBDukes

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:55 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
STUMPY13F wrote:

So you took the SD cards out when you got them? You realize the Roku 2 XS comes with SD cards pre-installed, right? Also, I imagine part of the issue is the shear number of channels you have on your account is the problem.

Actually, my Roku 2 XS did NOT come with a microSD card. I'm not disputing that yours did, but mine didn't. I have one of the first ones, purchased from Roku shortly after it was released, and it didn't come with a microSD card. I do have one now, but it's one I bought separately from Roku, months later.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Page 4 of the XS manual "microSD card(optional, not included)."

http://wwwimg.roku.com/Roku2-XS-QSG_0.pdf

Basil

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Is there a payment method on your account? Log in to http://www.roku.com/ and click My Account. Is a payment method tied to your account?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

ACraigo

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:25 pm

STUMPY13F wrote:
After a factory reset, I can't add channels. I can't reinstall them. I can't get the devices to update them and thus have nothing to watch. My online account listing says "Installed" when on both of them there is currently nothing there in the menus.

At the bottom of the page at: owner.roku.com do you see both units? Are they linked? Have you tried unlinking them and then relinking them?

That's about as far as I can go with this. Further instructions will have to come from someone knowing more than I do. We've traveled right out of my neighborhood.

I will make a note to myself and not try to do a system update with 300 channels installed.

Good luck

Edit: It's all yours Basil. My shoe came untied some time ago.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo