Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 2XS worthless after update

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 am

STUMPY13F wrote:
Posting exactly what I'm experiencing isn't bitching it's called documenting. Add an sd card? Why? It was sold as being "optional", not required, and if it became required for the update then good customer service would have been to announce it to existing 2 XS users and give them the option to update, not make it mandatory.

Adding an sd card doesn't explain away the inconsistent, flaky behavior.

So, you don't want help. Got it. You have a nice day.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:11 am

For clarity, when you say you've done a "factory reset" more times than you can recall, do you mean via the setting menu, or have you used the physical reset button on the device? If only the former, then I'd suggest trying one more true factory reset by pressing and holding the reset button on the bottom (back?) of the device for a full 60 seconds (should only need 30, but better safe than sorry).

The fact that you're the first person to report such an issue here, and that you've had it happen on two devices, is very strange. It's absolutely not a large scale issue, so I suspect it's something specific to the original account the two devices were linked to (which the hard factory reset should expunge entirely), or some bizarre defective batch, if both units were purchased at the same time.

And, FWIW, an SD card should definitely not be necessary unless you've got a lot of larger games installed, but even then, the lack of one should only affect launch time, as the box may need to download the channels on demand.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:17 pm

To at least give the micro-SD card a try and possibly narrow down the list/source of issues, I installed a 16GB micro-SD card which the 2 XS recognized and formatted. All after setting up another account, linking the device to the new account and selecting channels from the channel store. The channel update stopped at 101 and won't go any further. When i try to check for system update or add channels on the device itself it eventually says "Checking Connection" and then does nothing.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:24 pm

STUMPY13F wrote:
To at least give the micro-SD card a try and possibly narrow down the list/source of issues, I installed a 16GB micro-SD card which the 2 XS recognized and formatted. All after setting up another account, linking the device to the new account and selecting channels from the channel store. The channel update stopped at 101 and won't go any further. When i try to check for system update or add channels on the device itself it eventually says "Checking Connection" and then does nothing.

PM me your serial number and contact information. I'll have engineering take a look at your logs.

C. Shawn Smith

PS: also send me the approximate time(s) this occurred. Note: it may be Monday before I know anything.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Well my thanks to RokuShawnS and the Roku engineers for reverting me back to the version 4.9 build 5060 software version on both of my 2 XS boxes. That did it. They are both working the same as before, with or without the 16GB micro-SD card, and both have 218 channels on them and no issues whatsoever. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

wzwor

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Can anyone revert or is this only for Shawn's friends? I have two Roku 2 XS bricks. Here are the SNs...

13C1AF132841
13C1CR096575
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

STUMPY13F
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm

I went round and round trying everything and nothing but flaky behavior on both of my 2XS after the interface update, but going back helped a ton. I would let RokuShawnS know you're having similar issues.

wzwor

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm

RokuShawnS is aware of the problem...
Re: Tons of Plex Questions
by RokuShawnS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 am
My manager let me know we discovered an issue with the higher bitrate files that is causing this behavior. We believe we have a fix for it in the 5.1 firmware, but no ETA on when it will be released.

C. Shawn Smith

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:22 pm

wzwor wrote:
Can anyone revert or is this only for Shawn's friends? I have two Roku 2 XS bricks. Here are the SNs...

13C1AF132841
13C1CR096575

This was a very specific case and for a very specific reason.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

wingrider

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 am

Huh, I don't get it both my 2-XS's are working better than ever, there were a couple hiccups after the update but they're gone and all is well. Maybe the people having issues downloads were corrupted in some way.

wzwor

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am

They broke the wireless on the R2XS for Plex. It works with other channels and Plex is fine via wired ethernet, but buffering is relentless via wireless. This was never a problem before the update, so the update gets the blame as we have no real information to go by.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:40 am

wzwor wrote:
They broke the wireless on the R2XS for Plex.

Not correct. There is an issue with high bit-rate files playing via local streaming channels via wifi, which should be fixed in the next firmware update. Lower bit-rate files generally work fine.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

nncooper

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:22 pm

did you ever get a resolution to this issue?
I have the sane problem with the same model a ROKU 2 XD 3050X, worked fine for years and powered it off to move to new locations and it automatically upgraded to 5.5 410 when it powered back up, after the upgrade it would not add any channels. Its been in the cupboard for over a year and I have just powered it back up, it upgraded the software to V7.0 Build 9044, all the new features are there and accessible but still the same issue with it trying to add channels. When I called them when the original upgrade caused the problem I asked for it to be reverted to the old code to see if it was the code but they wouldn't do it. I believe they know the bug is related ti the firmware or chip and don't want to admit it. I asked them give me the old code and let me test it and prove it's not their software but they wouldn't send it to me. Went and bought an Amazon stick instead. Would still like to get the old software (pre 5.5 410) and see if it's code related but like any company it's never going to admit it's their issue unless you can categorically prove it.

Voldemort

Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:08 pm

this is an old thread and will be locked for that reason alone. i'll pm you the details.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com