Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

MLB.TV "audio overlay" now working on the Roku - comments

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 am

I mentioned this in the MLB.TV thread but want to start a new thread for comments on the performance. The audio overlay on MLB.TV on the Roku rolled out to the public this weekend. It works both live and on archived games.

Before you select the feed to watch you will see below that an option labeled "TV audio feed settings" and you can select the local radio broadcast or ballpark sound (no announcers) to play over the local video telecast.

Enjoy!

brett

ps - For last night's ESPN game (Yankees-Red Sox) the archive only has the Red Sox radio broadcast so I am watching the game with "ballpark" sound, no announcers, just the sounds of the game and the crowd. So cool!
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2017 MLB.TV Premium, 2016-17 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

themet

Re: MLB.TV "audio overlay" now working on the Roku - comment

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 am

DaBronx wrote:
I mentioned this in the MLB.TV thread but want to start a new thread for comments on the performance. The audio overlay on MLB.TV on the Roku rolled out to the public this weekend. It works both live and on archived games.

Before you select the feed to watch you will see below that an option labeled "TV audio feed settings" and you can select the local radio broadcast or ballpark sound (no announcers) to play over the local video telecast.

Not seeing it when I checked this morning. Just the usual which do I want, home or away, for video feed. Then again I have not seen GameDay audio for months on Roku and my account still says "Executive" even though I am premium.

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:29 am

themet wrote:

Not seeing it when I checked this morning. Just the usual which do I want, home or away, for video feed. Then again I have not seen GameDay audio for months on Roku and my account still says "Executive" even though I am premium.

Hmmm. Have you tried entering and exiting the channel store to see if your MLB.TV channel updates?

If you still don't have it I am curious to see what other subscribers are seeing.

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2017 MLB.TV Premium, 2016-17 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

mikebdoss

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 am

I have the new audio options - just checked on yesterday's Angels-A's game.

boteman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 am

The channel store right this second is offering Version 2.7 dated 17 July, 2013 so go by that as your reference. Nevertheless, I just went through the rigamarole again of removing the channel, adding it, and linking it to my MLB account. No change, still no audio overlay, which I would use exclusively if I had it (except for Vin Scully games).

So we should be looking for a new menu choice in the list that shows, for example "Home (MASN) / Away (WPIX)..." correct?

Maybe they are rolling it out in stages depending on the geographic location of your i.p. address. I can't wait for it here. Thanks for the heads-up.
Roku 2 XS fed by Cat5 wired Ethernet connected to ancient 36" Magnavox LCD TV via HDMI

"OH NOES! You posted to a thread more than 6 seconds old! O, the Humanity!!"

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am

boteman wrote:

So we should be looking for a new menu choice in the list that shows, for example "Home (MASN) / Away (WPIX)..." correct?

Yes that is where you will see it.

Usually it is watch home team feed on top, watch away feed underneath that, and then an option labeled "TV audio feed settings" under that. First select the feed you want (tv, local radio, ballpark sound) and then it takes you back to the select feed screen, select a feed and it should play as you selected.

brett

tj218

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 am

No audio options exist here. My account says "executive" but it should be premium. I have tried updating in the channel store as well.

Excited for this to finally get here, can't wait till it is live for all of us.

Was the audio synched up pretty nicely to the video?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 am

Note that I'm not certain, but the stadium audio option might be platform-dependant. I'm not certain if it's available on the older models or not.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Buckeye911

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 am

tj218 wrote:
No audio options exist here. My account says "executive" but it should be premium. I have tried updating in the channel store as well.

Excited for this to finally get here, can't wait till it is live for all of us.

I'm in exactly the same situation. My account says executive but should be premium and I see no audio options. I'm very excited to be able to activate the radio broadcasts.

tj218

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:30 am

I have a Roku2 HD (not the Roku HD). Brett what Roku are you getting the audio overlay on?

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 am

tj218 wrote:
I have a Roku2 HD (not the Roku HD). Brett what Roku are you getting the audio overlay on?

I am getting the audio overlay on my Roku2 XS.

However, my Roku1 XR-HD does not have the audio overlay option.

Where are people seeing "executive" as to their MLB.com account? When I go to audio/video subscriptions it shows that I am subscribed to mlb premium (see below):

Audio / Video Subscriptions

MLB.TV Premium Yearly

You are currently subscribed to 2013 MLB.TV Premium Yearly.

Your MLB.TV Premium Yearly subscription will automatically renew prior to the beginning of LIVE Spring Training games, on or about February 28, 2014 at the previous year's regular full yearly price.

The current price of your subscription during this billing period is $xx.99.

brett

DaBronx
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 am

tj218 wrote:

It's been perfect. Synced and no drops. Way more stable than the audio overlay feature on the laptop or ps3 which revert back to the tv announcers at every little glitch.

brett

boteman

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 am

DaBronx wrote:
tj218 wrote:

It's been perfect. Synced and no drops. Way more stable than the audio overlay feature on the laptop or ps3 which revert back to the tv announcers at every little glitch.

brett

Comments on the MLB support forum indicate that in order for the radio overlay to work on a computer feed you must use their NexDef plug-in and the quality selector must be about the middle or better for it to work. Beats me why, but that whole system seems built on a house of cards.

If I can get this radio overlay on my Roku I might never leave my living room again. Well, until November, that is.
Roku 2 XS fed by Cat5 wired Ethernet connected to ancient 36" Magnavox LCD TV via HDMI

"OH NOES! You posted to a thread more than 6 seconds old! O, the Humanity!!"

mikebdoss

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:49 am

MLB's servers and network has ALWAYS been shaky, at best. It seems like they're trying FAR too hard to make it complicated, using lots of odd plugins and custom tech, when they could just be streaming it like everyone else.

themet

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:52 am

DaBronx wrote:
tj218 wrote:

I am getting the audio overlay on my Roku2 XS.

However, my Roku1 XR-HD does not have the audio overlay option.

Where are people seeing "executive" as to their MLB.com account? When I go to audio/video subscriptions it shows that I am subscribed to mlb premium (see below):

1) I have the Roku 2 XS but no audio overlay.

2) If you check settings in MLB.tv on Roku, it shows what type of account you have. When GameDay audio disappeared months ago, it suddenly showed my account (on the Roku not when I go to the website) is Executive. At the time MLB had no explanation for the sudden drop of GameDay audio and my Roku account showing Executive. Deleting and reinstalling the channel made no difference. Whether that makes a difference regarding audio overlay, I do not know.