Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wingrider

Re: Why is Roku picture lower quality than Chromecast?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:20 am

digiwonk11 wrote:
I've been a longtime Roku user. I have the Roku 3 with a wired ethernet connection to my router. Before I got the Chromecast I thought everything was fine (because I didn't know better).

After I got Chromecast I compared the picture quality of Netflix between the Chromecast and the Roku. The Chromecast had a high quality HD picture in Netflix--very sharp and clear. The Roku's picture quality in Netflix was softer and not as sharp. I saw this stark difference in animated shows and non-animated shows.

My configuration:

Both Roku and Chromecast are plugged into the same 1080p TV. Both devices use the same router. The only difference is Roku uses wired ethernet (for inherent speed and stability) and the Chromecast uses wireless N 2.4GHz. Roku is configured for 1080p. Chromecast is set to use highest quality picture. Broadband is through Time Warner cable, Turbo speed level.

I don't know why but it is, both my Roku XS and CC are about a foot apart the Roku is wired to a router that is next to the TV. NF is sharper on the CC.

Chris Gerhard

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:02 am

It is certainly possible Chromecast picture quality is first rate. It uses a recent, very inexpensive Marvell Armada chip. Recent Oppo Blu-ray players use Marvell Qdeo video processing and those are certainly highly regarded so I accept Marvell is excellent when it comes to video processing.
Roku 2 XS 3100X
Roku LT 2450X

imcdona

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm a longtime Roku 2 user and I can certainly attest to the superior picture of the Chromecast. According to the original poster the Roku 3 is no better when it comes to picture quality. When Netflix announced that SuperHD was available across the board I didn't see any noticeable difference in picture quality on the Roku until I tried the Chromecast. It's night and day.

I'm going to hold off on the Roku 3 for now. Any word if Roku plans to upgrade the chipset in the Roku 3?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:41 pm

imcdona wrote:
... Any word if Roku plans to upgrade the chipset in the Roku 3?

If they were to upgrade the chipset, it would likely no longer be a Roku 3, but a Roku 4, along with whatever else that entails. When that would happen? Roku isn't saying.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

TC93

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 pm

I highly doubt the Chromecast can handle full 1080p due to the slow speed of wireless. It sounds more like something is wrong.

Funny the two people claiming this have only one post each and no replies in the thread. I haven't received my refurbished Roku 3 yet, but there is no way that Chromecast is better. It being only wireless is a huge negative.

A better comparison would be using a bluray you ripped of your own and played it. Not using Netflix.

OJM

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:46 pm

I also have a Roku2 and just got a Chromecast. The Chromecast picture is far superior. I tested with both on the same TV, HDMI port and Wireless Network (att uverse 12mbps) using Netflix. The Chromecast is equivalent to watching an HD channel, while the Roku never reaches HD quality. If there is something wrong I would like to find out what it is.

FX4

Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:30 am

Huh, seems to be holding true. One post each for the CC is better crowd. I smell a rat.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

zm3sichi

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:06 am

TheEndless wrote:
Also, are you sure you're streaming 1080p content? If the titles you're comparing are in 720p, then the Chromecast is most likely streaming at the native 720p resolution, whereas the Roku would be upscaling it to 1080p, which could result in some perceived bluriness.

And, as RokuMarkn mentioned in a different thread for me, bit rate may also be a factor. When I look at some YT clips advertised as 1080p, (and for which my TV indicates 1080p), they're still a little blurry when compared to a live 1080p OTA broadcast. "Bit Rate...."

See "these posts in this thread."

Regards,
ZM3

OJM

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:22 am

I only have 1 post because, I found this forum trying to figure out why my Chromecast looks so much better than my Roku. I was hoping that there was a simple explanation so I don't have to ditch my Roku that I already own and purchase a Chromecast (first one was a gift). Not sure why this forum is intent on denying the issue instead of offering possible solutions.

ACraigo

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:30 am

zm3sichi wrote:
When I look at some YT clips advertised as 1080p, (and for which my TV indicates 1080p), they're still a little blurry when compared to a live 1080p OTA broadcast. "Bit Rate...."

Regards,
ZM3

You Tube Videos pirated by 12 year olds with an index finger buried up a nostril to the second knuckle not broadcast quality? I'm shocked! The final edit might be 1080p, but the trick is how you get there. A concept lost on most 12 year olds and probably the reason there aren't that many 12 year old broadcast engineers.
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

Dick Drivel

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:53 pm

I have both Roku and CC. When watching the same video on separate flatscreens I see absolutely no obvious difference. CC's supposed superiority is a myth, as least as far as I can ascertain.
When one CC-centric thread on this forum loses steam another is magically revived - fairly obvious not a few of these claims are mere partisan 'observations'.
Those pushing CC on this forum should give up until Google can offer something more substantial than a classier Netflix interface. Roku users are not about to abandon it for a device that is really only good for two channels at the present time.
I myself will switch to CC the day it offers more content than Roku, but until then no one here is buying this malarky about the superiority of CC.

OJM

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:50 pm

I give up, I could care less about Chromecast or Roku, I just want to watch Netflix. I just wanted to know if there was some setting that I could use to make my Roku picture look like my Chromecast, but it appears this forum is not for the open minded.

Nobody is saying that Chromecast is the superior device, but on my particular setup the Chromecast picture is much better when using Netflix. The Chromecast is extremely limited on content, I only switch to it because Netflix looks so much better on it,but overall I get a lot more use out of the Roku. I was hoping to get my Roku to display the same quality so I could move the Chromecast to another TV.

mikebdoss

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:54 pm

OJM wrote:
I give up, I could care less about Chromecast or Roku, I just want to watch Netflix. I just wanted to know if there was some setting that I could use to make my Roku picture look like my Chromecast, but it appears this forum is not for the open minded.

Nobody is saying that Chromecast is the superior device, but on my particular setup the Chromecast picture is much better when using Netflix. The Chromecast is extremely limited on content, I only switch to it because Netflix looks so much better on it,but overall I get a lot more use out of the Roku. I was hoping to get my Roku to display the same quality so I could move the Chromecast to another TV.

The difference likely has less to do with the Roku and more to do with whatever stream the Roku is receiving. You could have interference between the roku and your router that the Chromecast isn't subject to, or the Roku could be receiving a stream via a slower connection than the Chromecast (outside your home's network). Different devices can use different paths to different content delivery network servers, and that could affect your picture quality. The fix might not be an easy one, but it's not like the Roku has a "crappy Netflix picture" setting that the Chromecast is missing...

TheEndless

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am

mikebdoss wrote:
OJM wrote:

The difference likely has less to do with the Roku and more to do with whatever stream the Roku is receiving. You could have interference between the roku and your router that the Chromecast isn't subject to, or the Roku could be receiving a stream via a slower connection than the Chromecast (outside your home's network). Different devices can use different paths to different content delivery network servers, and that could affect your picture quality. The fix might not be an easy one, but it's not like the Roku has a "crappy Netflix picture" setting that the Chromecast is missing...

It could also be that you're not waiting long enough for the stream to ramp up on the Roku. With the adaptive streaming, it can take a minute or even longer to get to the highest bitrate, which may not be the case with the Chromecast.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

OJM

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:03 pm

I can see the quality change after a minute, but it never gets to be HD. I saw a thread about Netflix, that seems to be describing what I am seeing, maybe something there will help.