Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

KennyJ
Topic Author

How Roku can build a Chromecast killer

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57 ... st-killer/

Roku's streaming dongle hasn't caught fire like Chromecast. Here's what Roku can learn from Google's hot new streamer.
Google has shaken up the world of streaming video with its new (and hard to get) Chromecast. The $35 unit effectively turns any "dumb" HDTV into a smart TV with Netflix and YouTube, and uses any iPhone, Android phone, or tablet as a remote. . .

Somewhat lost in the Chromecast hullaballoo was the fact that Roku already has a Chromecast-like streaming dongle called the Roku Streaming Stick. It's basically the guts of the Roku 2 XS (the 2012 flagship Roku player, now discontinued and replaced by the Roku 3) crammed into a the form factor of -- you guessed it -- a stick. . .

What follows are my suggestions to make a (theoretical) Roku Streaming Stick 2.0 a better product. The result might not be a full-on Chromecast killer, but it could be something that would at least be far better than the current model -- and possibly the best Roku to date.
1. Add a real YouTube app.
2. Make the remote optional.
3. Add screen mirroring.
4. Add USB power.
5. Lower the price.

The ball is in Roku's court . .

More at the link. . .

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: How Roku can build a Chromecast killer

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:08 pm

I personally don't think there's anything to "kill" (yet) with the Chromecast. It's a completely different product category. I'm also not sure why many reviewers like to suggest that it turns your television into a "smart TV", because it doesn't do any such thing. All it does is turn your television into a wireless monitor for your already smart device. The Roku Streaming Stick is standalone and doesn't require any third party device to operate it and provide it with data to stream. I think the only reason the Streaming Stick hasn't taken off is because of it's MHL requirement, which is only available on a handful of television sets. Make it work with standard HDMI and USB power, and there's nothing else on the market, in that form factor, that even comes close.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

adamc

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 pm

We have two laptops in our living room. Maybe we're atypical, but I think the Chromecast might be a lot more compelling than you think, as it gives us the ability to show many things Roku doesn't have channels for (youtube, anyone?).

jeffrok

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:28 pm

I didn't know you can they're completely different, TheEndless.. Yea, control of the streams is different, but the end result is the same- audio and video streaming to a TV via a device. Roku's device is more "mature" but I think the Chromecast has a ton of potential.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

TheEndless

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:38 pm

jeffrok wrote:
I didn't know you can they're completely different, TheEndless.. Yea, control of the streams is different, but the end result is the same- audio and video streaming to a TV via a device. Roku's device is more "mature" but I think the Chromecast has a ton of potential.

It definitely has potential (which is why I said "yet" in my first post), but currently, it's not the same end result. Right now, there are only a handful of sites that work natively with the Chromecast. Everything else requires you to play it on the desktop and re-stream (cast) that to the device, which degrades both the video and the framerate. It definitely has its uses, but in its current state, it's not a Roku competitor... unless you only use your Roku for Netflix and screencasting from your computer.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jeffrok

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah, content is king..

Have you heard of Cheapcast yet? People are already getting very creative.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

tobarefeet

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:29 am

I have three Roku's, an Apple TV, and now a Chromecast. The mistake far too many are making on the internet is assuming that what the Chromecast is now three weeks after launch is what it will be three months from now. Just as Roku has private channels and developers giving us fantastic options, developers within the Android realm are doing the same for Chromecast. It's just a matter of time before any video you can stream on your phone, tablet, or laptop will be able to be cast to your TV without a hiccup using the Chromecast. I can already do that with Chromecast on my Chromebook, though the video is choppy on some sites. The ease of use is staggering.

Chromecast has the entire support of Google. That says it all, frankly.

If Roku doesn't find a buyer or partner with a Yahoo or Amazon, or similar, it will be dead in the water down the road. It's a mobile world now. If I can go with my dongle and phone to my inlaws, plug in Chromecast, and in less than two minutes be watching Netflix or a movie from Google Play, streaming video from all over the net, what do I need a Roku or Apple TV for?

That's the future.

mikebdoss

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 am

tobarefeet wrote:
I have three Roku's, an Apple TV, and now a Chromecast. The mistake far too many are making on the internet is assuming that what the Chromecast is now three weeks after launch is what it will be three months from now. Just as Roku has private channels and developers giving us fantastic options, developers within the Android realm are doing the same for Chromecast. It's just a matter of time before any video you can stream on your phone, tablet, or laptop will be able to be cast to your TV without a hiccup using the Chromecast. I can already do that with Chromecast on my Chromebook, though the video is choppy on some sites. The ease of use is staggering.

If Roku doesn't find a buyer or partner with a Yahoo or Amazon, or similar, it will be dead in the water down the road. It's a mobile world now. If I can go with my dongle and phone to my inlaws, plug in Chromecast, and in less than two minutes be watching Netflix or a movie from Google Play, streaming video from all over the net, what do I need a Roku or Apple TV for?

That's the future.

The rumors of Roku's death are greatly exaggerated.

It's a neat little toy, and it'll certainly improve, but I honestly don't see the choppiness issue fixing itself without a new piece of hardware - that's gotta be where the bottleneck is right now. Especially in a world where people moan and complain when Netflix takes too long to adjust from "nice" to "my eyes says this is HD", anything choppy is absolutely unwatchable. It may be another piece of the puzzle (especially for those of us without an Apple product to AirPlay to), but saying Roku's going to die without a major partner is absurd.

KennyJ
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:44 am

tobarefeet wrote:

That's the future.

Remember GoogleTV?

Me neither.

bozzy

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 am

Roku could be even more killer if it added a Chromecast server. I doubt it would ever happen but it would be pretty awesome to get the best of both worlds. Having apps on the Roku is great. But there is something to be said for anyone in your house being able to throw a Youtube or Netflix video on the screen without having to do any configuration.

kc8pql

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 am

I have no inside information at all, but I don't think Roku introduced a new piece of hardware, out of the normal cycle, with more than twice the power
of the existing boxes just so it would have a snappier UI...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Dick Drivel

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:23 am

The two devices are really not in direct competition with each other the way I see it. Chromecast is targetted at smartphone/tablet users, while Roku is a proper internet TV streamer. Both have their advantages/disadvantages, but neither can replace the other per se.
Now the lack of YouTube on Roku is an entirely different issue....

tobarefeet

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:37 am

[quote="KennyJ"

Remember GoogleTV?

Me neither.[/quote]

That comment shows no understanding on how Chromecast works. None.

And I never said Roku is dead in the water now. I said down the road it would be in trouble without capital infusion or partnering. I stand by that statement as it pertains to all areas of the field of tech. Innovation is key. To think anything else is actually the absurdity.
I get it, people here love Roku (As do I with the five Roku's I've bought over the years). The processor is better, the UI is better. The performance is overall better. (Although I have been very disappointed in my Roku 3- I have to manually reboot often, the 2's I have are a charm) I'll continue to recommend Roku to friends and family for a long time to come.

I don't understand why there are a segment of people on this forum that always treat thoughtful ponderings as some attack on Roku and feel the need to circle the wagons. It really makes the idea of discussion on an honest level virtually pointless.

Basil

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 am

Drivel wrote:
The two devices are really not in direct competition with each other the way I see it. Chromecast is targetted at smartphone/tablet users, while Roku is a proper internet TV streamer. Both have their advantages/disadvantages, but neither can replace the other per se.

+1
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

tobarefeet

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:55 pm

flower Drivel wrote:

Agreed. That's why I have no reason to ditch my Roku's.