Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ykill
Topic Author

Enhanced remote design flaw!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:00 pm

We all know that the enhanced remote should never dropped or handled roughly. On the other hand, we expect handheld electronics to have a certain robustness, as they are being handled by humans who make mistakes.

I purchased a Roku 3 and I love it. after about nine months, the remote stopped working. I noticed a rattling sound from inside the casing. It seems that there are two components on the circuit board which like to come off. I'm going to call them antennas. They're orange.

I called support, and was told that the unit was out of warranty. I disagreed, and support then did the honorable thing and sent me a new remote, free of charge. I was very happy.

Today, I can hear that familiar rattle inside the replacement remote. It still works, but it's only a matter of time before that component lays in the wrong spot and causes failure of the circuit board -- another dead remote.

I'm sure that my kids have some responsibility in this, even though I've taught them to be careful with things. I'm also sure that it was a design and/or manufacturing flaw rather than coincidence.

The moral of this story is, "Don't EVER drop the Roku enhanced remote." Thank you.

Sincerely, Mick Reed

Gilgamesh

Re: Enhanced remote design flaw!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm

I would say that it is not much of a flaw, design or otherwise, since yours is one of the very few that have failed in this way. It seems to me that a design flaw would be much more common and that would mean a lot of reports here and we just have not seen them.

Even people that do a lot of gaming are not reporting the failure you are describing.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm

ykill wrote:
I purchased a Roku 3 and I love it. after about nine months, the remote stopped working.

Ermm.. the Roku 3 has only been out for 5 months. Maybe your remote troubles are a consequence of your messing with the space-time continuum... you shouldn't do that. :P
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

knuckle

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:36 am

:lol: thanks Endless I needed a good laugh this morning
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

ykill
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:15 am

Oh, oops! I was near the end of whatever the warranty period is. I hope you are right, and this isn't going to happen to my third remote. However, two remotes with the same failure mode is too coincidental to be pure chance. I still say that if a component comes off due to the solder joint failing, that's a defect.

I think I'll just resolder that piece to the board, and spray it with conformal coating. That'll do it, assuming the leads and lands aren't destroyed. Wish me luck. When I open it up, I'll post back with the results. Thanks for the replies!

Mick

EDIT: I threw out the first remote, but you can see a picture of it on my blog. http://whythiserror.blogspot.com/2013/06/roku-replaced-my-remote-for-me.html

jeffrok

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 am

If I drop my cell phone and the screen cracks or a button breaks, Verizon or Sprint won't even consider a "free" replacement without additional insurance for my phone's "defect".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz

socantra

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 am

From your blog:
It is debatable whether faulty soldering or extreme shock is the cause. Roku gave the customer the benefit of doubt and replaced the remote at no charge.

Since there have been zero other posts on this issue and it is (in your own words) 'debatable' whether its extreme shock or not, I'm not sure how many times you can count on them giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck. :)
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

ACraigo

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:51 am

When you're soldering that component back on you might want to lay a small piece of metal on the component to act as a heat sink - far enough away from the soldering area to allow a bond, but also far enough onto the component to bleed off some heat. I would heat the land, not the component.

I respect a guy willing to get his hands dirty tackling a job others would just toss in the bin.

Let us know how it turns out and another photo would be great!
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo

BoloMKXXVIII

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:02 am

TheEndless wrote:
ykill wrote:
I purchased a Roku 3 and I love it. after about nine months, the remote stopped working.

Ermm.. the Roku 3 has only been out for 5 months. Maybe your remote troubles are a consequence of your messing with the space-time continuum... you shouldn't do that. :P

Maybe he works for NASA?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1643 ... in-the-lab
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

BoloMKXXVIII

Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am

ACraigo wrote:
When you're soldering that component back on you might want to lay a small piece of metal on the component to act as a heat sink - far enough away from the soldering area to allow a bond, but also far enough onto the component to bleed off some heat. I would heat the land, not the component.

I respect a guy willing to get his hands dirty tackling a job others would just toss in the bin.

Let us know how it turns out and another photo would be great!

A hemostat works great for this purpose!
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

ykill
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:38 pm

@jeffrok, I know. I may just be guilty of mistreating the remote. On the other hand, think about how many remotes you've had that quit because an internal component broke off. Have you heard of a phone or GPS where parts fall off inside? I've been using remotes since they used ultrasonic tones to transmit, and other handhelds just as long. I don't remember any breaking like this. I'm not trying to be rude, I just think the screen analogy doesn't fit my situation.

@everyone, I have taken pics of my repair, I'll post on that tomorrow.

jeffrok

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm

ykill wrote:
@jeffrok, I know. I may just be guilty of mistreating the remote. On the other hand, think about how many remotes you've had that quit because an internal component broke off. Have you heard of a phone or GPS where parts fall off inside? I've been using remotes since they used ultrasonic tones to transmit, and other handhelds just as long. I don't remember any breaking like this. I'm not trying to be rude, I just think the screen analogy doesn't fit my situation.

Sorry, my point was only that if you drop a piece of electronics (and yes that includes a cell phone, a remote control, or a microwave) and it fails to operate after you drop it, I think it's your responsibility to cover its replacement, unless your warranty/insurance covers droppage. I'm sure if I dropped my Logitech One remote from my waist to a hard floor, it wouldn't fare too well either, AND it costs about $140 more than a Roku remote. I just would not call damage done by you possibly dropping the remote a "flaw". If the way you normally operated the remote was to drop it on the floor, and it failed to work after that then I think you'd have a point. Or if it was advertised as waterproof and it failed to work after you dropped it in your sinkful of water, you may call that a flaw too.

My only issue was you calling it a "flaw".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz

gonzotek

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:50 pm

jeffrok wrote:
ykill wrote:

Sorry, my point was only that if you drop a piece of electronics (and yes that includes a cell phone, a remote control, or a microwave) and it fails to operate after you drop it, I think it's your responsibility to cover its replacement, unless your warranty/insurance covers droppage. I'm sure if I dropped my Logitech One remote from my waist to a hard floor, it wouldn't fare too well either, AND it costs about $140 more than a Roku remote. I just would not call damage done by you possibly dropping the remote a "flaw". If the way you normally operated the remote was to drop it on the floor, and it failed to work after that then I think you'd have a point. Or if it was advertised as waterproof and it failed to work after you dropped it in your sinkful of water, you may call that a flaw too.

My only issue was you calling it a "flaw".
FWIW, both my Roku and Harmony One remotes get dropped on hardwood floors all the time and they're all still working fine. I have both the bt Roku remote from the XS and the wifi one that ships with the R3.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

ykill
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 am

@jeffrok, I agree. It's not a flaw if it's uncommon, or caused by misuse. I am glad that it isn't happening to everyone. I think it is a flaw in the sense that it's a weakness that could have been avoided. I'm not trying to normalize droppage, but there are easy and inexpensive ways to avoid solder joint failure that weren't done. Two remotes in a row makes me wonder.

I also think droppage is unavoidable, we're humans. My kids have slammed their original Wiimote since 2009. They also drop my mobile phones, and those still work perfectly when I resell them on eBay. TV remotes also get dropped, and still work. Even the $4 universal remotes can take a drop kick. This is because manufacturers build for it.

In conclusion, I hope I'm the only one that this happens to. I also hope that Roku remotes get a little help on the manufacturing side. My Roku 3 is the very best $99 I have spent on electronics, and I recommend Roku to people I know. I posted pictures of the repair on my blog, http://whythiserror.blogspot.com/2013/08/roku-3-enhanced-remote-number-two-repair.html thanks for all your input!

Mick

WillyT06

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 am

Far from a design flaw. Bad solder operation. All consumer electronics are bound to have the same type of solder problem at one time or another. Fact is consumer electronics are not governed much. It pretty much works or it don't. If it works then it gets shipped (never mind the horrible solder joints all over the board). Most consumer electronics manufactures don't really care much. I am willing to bet you can probably take apart a number of consumer electronics in your home and find really bad solder on atleast half of them.

ykill wrote:
I think it is a flaw in the sense that it's a weakness that could have been avoided. I'm not trying to normalize droppage, but there are easy and inexpensive ways to avoid solder joint failure that weren't done. Two remotes in a row makes me wonder.

Avoided yes. Does the company that made them really care? Nope. And that goes for most all consumer electronic companies. They make them, they work, and they ship. Now if a whole bunch were having problems then yes they would have to do something.

By the way, glad you got it fix.