Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

glen4cindy
Topic Author

Roku Player and YouTube.....

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm very confused about something.

I have a Roku HD and the original Roku player.

I also just checked out the Set Top Box spreadsheet that was mentioned on the Leo Laporte show, and they specifically mentioned that Roku does not do YouTube.

On the spreadsheet, Column B "Roku" Row 50, "YouTube" says "NO", Row 51 "YouTube" "Yes", Row 52 "YouTube" , Yes (Plex)

Well, this is confusing. It says NO, then YES.

But, BOTH of my Roku boxes have always done YouTube AFAIK.

The same confusing issue seems to be going on regarding the AppleTV. Row 50 says Yes, while 51 says NO and 52 says Yes.

Does your Roku get YouTube?

Gilgamesh

Re: Roku Player and YouTube.....

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:47 pm

There should be no confusion: At the present time there is NO sanctioned way to access YouTube on a Roku. There are ways but they are NOT supported by either YouTube (Google) or Roku and generally are not to be discussed in any detail on this board as they are seen as violating various terms of services.

BTW: What the heck is a "Leo Laporte?"

sonicD

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
There should be no confusion: At the present time there is NO sanctioned way to access YouTube on a Roku. There are ways but they are NOT supported by either YouTube (Google) or Roku and generally are not to be discussed in any detail on this board as they are seen as violating various terms of services.

Gilgamesh,
I didn't realize this. Where does it say that discussing various methods of getting YT is violating TOS?

Thanks,
-sonic
What is Roku
-sonic
My Rokus: Roku 2 XS; Roku XD
http://www.thebeststreamingplayer.com

Gilgamesh

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Since Google has officially asked Roku to remove any channel that has had the ability to stream YouTube in the past and Roku has complied it is quite clear that Roku does not, currently, allow YouTube in any form that Google has complained about.

Just because Google has not yet asked Roku to take down the channels that you, and others, keep pushing to get around those take downs does not mean that they will not. Roku has closed many threads that discussed those methods of skirting Google's apparent desire to not be on Roku in any manner except an official channel it is clear that Roku views those methods as in violation of their TOS, probably the part that says that is is not allowed to discuss ways of getting around restrictions.

I fail to see why anyone would want publicly push these borderline ways of circumventing Roku's apparent desires. It just gets threads that might otherwise have value locked.

DerekHelps

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

sonicD wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

Gilgamesh,
I didn't realize this. Where does it say that discussing various methods of getting YT is violating TOS?

Thanks,
-sonic
What is Roku

Granted doesnt mention discussion, however it does show where getting youtube via roku is breaking ToS of Youtube

"You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate."

http://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

janel

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

TWiT.tv

sonicD

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Very interesting. So the Twonky app that CNET gives a video guide on how to access YT on Roku is something they probably shouldn't be showing?

-sonic
What is Roku
-sonic
My Rokus: Roku 2 XS; Roku XD
http://www.thebeststreamingplayer.com

DerekHelps

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Twonky is potentially a little more grey in that the content is being delivered to an approved method. Im no expert, but this is my guess.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Roku 2 XS 3100

Gilgamesh

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

DerekHelps wrote:
Twonky is potentially a little more grey in that the content is being delivered to an approved method. Im no expert, but this is my guess.

It does seem gray, in the exact same way PlayOn is grey.

In other words it skirts the rules and is almost impossible to detect when being used but is none the less most probably in violation of the rules involved.

DerekHelps

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
DerekHelps wrote:

In other words it skirts the rules and is almost impossible to detect when being used but is none the less most probably in violation of the rules involved.

I'd argue that what playon does is much more aggressive as it allows any PC content to be delivered, whereas Twonky is working with already mobile approved content. youtube wasnt the issue with playon, but rather hulu free.

Edit: also, with Twonky, the content is actually playing in both locations, not simply being shifted like on a playon server.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Roku 2 XS 3100

Gilgamesh

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 pm

DerekHelps wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
DerekHelps wrote:

I'd argue that what playon does is much more aggressive as it allows any PC content to be delivered, whereas Twonky is working with already mobile approved content. youtube wasnt the issue with playon, but rather hulu free.

I was talking about what it does rather that what it does it to. But you are correct that Hulu was, as far as we can tell, the main problem then but YouTube was quite a bit smaller at that time and less aggressive than it is now in enforcement of its rules and agreements. That enforcement has ratcheted up quite a bit over the last couple of years and it seems to me that Twonky will soon, if it does not already, look to YouTube like PlayOn did/does to Hulu. Hulu/YouTube is available on the device where the service runs and all the service does is deliver that content to another device.

If there is a real difference in what is being done it is quite miniscule but I'm sure it is a difference that lawyers will REALLY enjoy arguing about for 100s of dollars an hour over as many years as possible.

glen4cindy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Okay, Whoa!

First, let me say, that I in NO WAY intend to violate ANY TOS of ROKU or GOOGLE or YOUTUBE.

Second, I did not DO ANYTHING SPECIAL that I know of to GET YOUTUBE on my ROKU.

AFAIK, it was there from the beginning, or in the Channel Store.

As I say, I DO NOT INTEND TO VIOLATE ANY TOS, But, I have always had these, and as far as I know didn't DO anything "special" to get them.......

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 pm

glen4cindy wrote:
Okay, Whoa!

First, let me say, that I in NO WAY intend to violate ANY TOS of ROKU or GOOGLE or YOUTUBE.

As I say, I DO NOT INTEND TO VIOLATE ANY TOS, But, I have always had these, and as far as I know didn't DO anything "special" to get them.......

That was the original YouTube private channel. Users who had that before it was removed will keep it. Presumably, there's some sort grandfathering deal with that channel between Roku and Google. You're fine using it. The TOS violations are in reference to ways to get YouTube on the Roku since Google pulled the plug.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

somebody

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 am

janel wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

TWiT.tv

Leo Laporte is one of the few people who talk about tech stuff that I actually listen to. He seems to know his stuff and can explain things to even the most clueless of people without being condescending and if he gets asked a tough question he usually seems up to the task.

Without naming any names, there is a Roku channel about technology which I completely laugh at because they're so stupid and on the other extreme there are tech people who are so into things that you can hardly follow what they're saying so they are also completely unhelpful in most situations at least for the average person.

Leo Laporte falls somewhere in between and so is usually more helpful than either of the extremes.

catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:34 am

TheEndless wrote:
glen4cindy wrote:
Okay, Whoa!

That was the original YouTube private channel. Users who had that before it was removed will keep it. Presumably, there's some sort grandfathering deal with that channel between Roku and Google. You're fine using it. The TOS violations are in reference to ways to get YouTube on the Roku since Google pulled the plug.

don't delete it, you won't be able to get it back
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless