Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thelastknight69
Topic Author

1st gen roku user

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Are first gen roku players locked to software version 3.1? I haven't had an update I'm a while so I checked the forum and it seems we are in the 5s?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: 1st gen roku user

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:
Are first gen roku players locked to software version 3.1? I haven't had an update I'm a while so I checked the forum and it seems we are in the 5s?

Roku is effectively done updating Roku1 players. Everything still works, but it's not getting new features or the new interface like on the Roku3.

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:24 pm

*sigh* I see, Thank you for your timely response.

Gilgamesh

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:40 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:

Roku 1s do not have the processing power to move up to the interface design of the R2s, R3s and R4s and above. The Software will probably not be updated in the future to add functionality but should a bug develop there could be bug fixes.

That is to say, in development terms, that the R1s are mature products and will not, most probably, see a software update for any reason other than fixes or simple cosmetic changes.

They are not dead but there are features of the R2s and R3s tat the R1s cannot support because of hardware limitations. Future channels might continue to work on the Rs but there will be channels, and already are such, that cannot function on the R1s.

The R1s will continue to be supported but their future as far as new content/channels is limited. Even existing channels may be upgraded on the R2s and up but the R1s will continue to have the older version of the channels. Just guessing I would say that Netflix is one that will move upward with the R2 and R3 but the R1 will not see the new features.

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 pm

So basically I'm stuck with something that never worked properly, that's a nice how do you do

Gilgamesh

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 pm

thelastknight69 wrote:
So basically I'm stuck with something that never worked properly, that's a nice how do you do

The R1s work quite well. I have not had any problem with mine. I do not call that being "stuck."

thelastknight69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 am

I wouldn't call random software lock ups, and system crashes "works fine"

No it's not app specific and no its not ISP specific, I have even tried different wireless routers. I have limited the number ofapps to four and it still crashes half the time. I have been quite patient for years, but to stop updating and not even an email, yeah that's just not cool.

Gilgamesh

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 am

thelastknight69 wrote:
I wouldn't call random software lock ups, and system crashes "works fine"

No it's not app specific and no its not ISP specific, I have even tried different wireless routers. I have limited the number ofapps to four and it still crashes half the time. I have been quite patient for years, but to stop updating and not even an email, yeah that's just not cool.

The massive majority of users do not experience the issues that you are describing to any extent. The R1, for nearly every user, is a solid, stable and reliable device that almost never has a problem.

If you are seeing the large number of failures you are reporting the you have one of the very few R1s that are truly bad or there is something wrong in you local setup or, and probably the most likely, you have a power supply that is operating marginally. The power supply of the early R1s did have a problem that could manifest in the kind of problems you describe.

knuckle

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 am

Hi,

My R1 is stable and has no problem with netflix,hulu,pandora and a handful of private channels ,it does playto and twonky better than my R2s and the only issue I ever have is if I stream nowhere of justin really heavily for 2 or 3 days it will get a bit slow and require a reboot.I will have had the unit for three years next month bought new for 79 bucks through a radioshack promotion -- currently my daughter has the unit,she uses it with a travel router when she is away on buisness.

the only thing I did do was put the unit up on a different account because of it's limited "my channels list" so I would have room to add/delete channels without affecting the R2s on my account.

the last R1 update was to 3.1 build 1168 in March of this year and for what its worth, though it hasn't been active the beta test group for these players has not been shut down
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

leakman7

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:57 pm

I own a 1st generation Roku, and it will be the one and only Roku I ever own. It does what I want for right now, but I'm sure something better will come along eventually. It just won't be a Roku I'll be considering.

Mark12547

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm

The problems I have had with my Roku 1 (N1000) have been:

1. Poor video quality or unable to stream when everyone else was also having streaming problems (e.g., a couple Christmas seasons)
  2. Reboot when attempting to stream, and a day later not even being able to boot up--fixed by replacing the power supply.
  3. One upgrade that ended up requiring a factory reset to clear problems with the Netflix channel.

Overall, though, the Roku 1 has been very solid for what I use it for: mostly Netflix.

Actually, the Roku has been more solid than the TVs I have used with it:

1. A tube unit that one day decided it no longer wanted to power on.
  2. A HD TV that, after the warranty had ran out, decided to display horizontal pin lines running about every quarter inch, like watching through venation blinds,
  3. And now it is on a new "smart" HD TV (which can stream Netflix)

There are already some things the Roku 1 can't do that newer models can, specifically, closed captions, and some channels. Some day if a lot of foreign films require the R2-R3-style of closed captions to read the English, or there is a channel I am really interested in that isn't available on the Roku 1, I would consider getting a Roku 3 or whatever is the current model at that time.

mastermesh

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:43 am

still using the first gen. It works well.. but yes, IT DOES LOCK UP AND SCREW UP SOMETIMES... especially if you watch several hours of movies in a day... It's like the buffer overflows or something so it runs out of memory eventually, requiring you to unplug it and plug it back in... having to redo the internet connection thingy on it, etc.

Forget about anything hd on 1st gen. It just can't do it.

Still waiting on that 'infinite channel' thing that was spoke about on the forums here a couple of years ago... which would allow 1st gen to have tons of channels without running in to the max memory problem, but so far it's not gonna happen, and I doubt it ever will.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels

TheEndless

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 am

mastermesh wrote:

That's an odd statement. I watch HD on my Roku 1 all the time. In fact, the original Roku was the only way to get Netflix streaming in HD when it was first introduced. Were you referring to 1080p or HD, in general?

mastermesh wrote:
Still waiting on that 'infinite channel' thing that was spoke about on the forums here a couple of years ago... which would allow 1st gen to have tons of channels without running in to the max memory problem, but so far it's not gonna happen, and I doubt it ever will.

That was introduced with the Roku 2 line. I don't think it was ever specifically promised for Roku 1s, only that they were working on a solution for a future release... it turns out that future release was hardware dependent.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Mark12547

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 pm

mastermesh wrote:

Other than during busy times, I don't have any problems getting a Netflix HD (720p) stream on my Roku Netflix Player (N1000).

jeffrok

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:03 pm

When I still used my R1, I watched Amazon and Netflix HD all the time.. now that's not 1080P but 720P, but both Netflix and Amazon referred to these streams as HD.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10