Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Butchfoote
Topic Author

Brand New Roku 2 problem PBS video - "LOADING" e

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 am

Hi all,
We have had our Roku 2 XD for a couple of days now. It has been struggling to keep its internet connection overnight then last night it stopped delivery of a video.

Last night we tried to watch Earthflight a neat special on migrating birds in North America on PBS. It's about 50 minutes long.

When we hit about 18 minutes, the video stopped and we got a 'LOADING" screen with a progress indicator bar. It stayed on for 5 - 10 seconds and then went back to the video.

Then after less than a minute it happened again. Then the same sequence of events happened again and again and again. Finally, Roku announced "An error has occured. Please try again later."

I checked our local network. We use Quantum 50 mbs from Verizon FIOS. I speed checked the download. It was 54+ Mbs on Ookla.

I also went to the PBS site and found I could watch it there. It ran fine, full screen, on the home computer. So either the Roku has some kind of diffculty with long videos or their servers can't meet demand in our area.

So it's going back this week. Very disappointing.!

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Brand New Roku 2 problem PBS video - "LOADING" e

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 am

Butchfoote wrote:
So either the Roku has some kind of diffculty with long videos or their servers can't meet demand in our area.

The Roku has nothing to do with it. You likely had one of two or three issues:

1) Bad video encode. Solution: Contact PBS.
2) Bad network hop. Solution: Try changing your DNS to GoogleDNS or OpenDNS.
3) Momentary Network Hiccup. Solution: Reboot your modem and try again.

Roku doesn't have "servers" and doesn't provide the content. The channel developer hosts the content. Roku just accesses it through your internet connection.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Butchfoote
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks.

Last night the ROKU was working again and we watched a delightful TED talk.

When we went back to pick another TED, the ROKU promptly lost it's internet connection. I tried to reconnect it. It logged on our local wireless network, but couldn't make it past the 2nd step. i.e. Green check mark on the 1st item and red X on the 2nd.

This has happened before. So we turned over to the TV side of things.

This morning, without any further assistance on our part, the ROKU had found it's way out of the house on to the net and was usable.

We don't have a 'MODEM', we use FIOS. There's nothing to 'reboot'. Verizon provides it's own DNS's which work fine. Our bandwidth package is 50/25 mbs and ping times to the Ookla speedtest server are usually in the 17 - 22 ms range.

We regularly watch TED and PBS directly on our computers without a hitch. Getting those same media sources on our HDTV through a ROKU is hit-and-miss.

marie_claire

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 pm

I have used Roku for a year now and had no problems. I added the PBS channel and when I try to watch something, it stops to load every 3 minutes, then plays the film for 3 minutes, loads for 3 minutes, etc. during the entire film. This doubles the length of time needed to watch the film and is really annoying. I use several other channels such as netflix and amazon prime with no trouble. any suggestions?

stan7826

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm

We're having the same problem with the PBS channel. It's about a 1:1 ratio of playing time and loading time. It spends about 2 minutes loading and then plays for 2 minutes. It didn't used to be like this. When we first got the channel, it worked fine. Then it started doing this. And it's been getting worse. It looks like a capacity problem on their servers. Has anyone been able to contact someone at PBS to see what they have to say about this?