Please, relatively how many steps or level of difficulty is involved
to add the Classic ARTS SHOWCASE - a free feed - apparently from a satellite:

Roku users have been asking for the FREE channel for some time, and obviously
its arguably higher-quality than any other free channel ROKU provides:

(http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/)

thetick

Re: add (FREE) CLASSIC ARTS SHOWCASE?

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm

I'll second that. CAS would be a great addition. I pay Verizon for FIOS TV with no CAS. It's the only channel I miss from back when I had Dishnetwork.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / Disney XD / PBS / Smithsonian
PC / Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm

I contacted CAS a couple years back, and they told me they don't have the rights to stream their content, hence they haven't created a channel yet. Kinda silly since it's available via satellite and free to most anyone who wants it that way, but that's how those things go.

thetick

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Distribution rights are completely different then over the air or even satellite rights. All the major networks are free over the air, but you don't have a right to redistribute them. Aereo is still in courts since they claim every one of their users has a unique antenna, but the networks are classifying Aereo as redistributing. Millions of wasted dollars later the lawyers and courts will decide. Aereo will either be forced into bankruptcy or make big dollars and then fall to nothing when other companies attempt the same.
TheTick
Verizon FIOS

saphfyredkm

Sat May 17, 2014 4:52 pm

I, too, have been wanting a Roku channel for Classic Arts Showcase. I read this thread, today, and see that the reason they had given in the past is that they didn't have the rights to stream, as of whenever they were asked last? I think I may check with them, now, because I just noticed that they recently added online streaming of their feed to their website, which they did not have, before. If the same permissions are needed for that, as for streaming with a Roku channel, then it sounds like they may have recently gotten those permissions. I hope so, and if so, I hope they are working on a Roku channel, now.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Sat May 17, 2014 5:11 pm

saphfyredkm wrote:
I, too, have been wanting a Roku channel for Classic Arts Showcase. I read this thread, today, and see that the reason they had given in the past is that they didn't have the rights to stream, as of whenever they were asked last? I think I may check with them, now, because I just noticed that they recently added online streaming of their feed to their website, which they did not have, before. If the same permissions are needed for that, as for streaming with a Roku channel, then it sounds like they may have recently gotten those permissions. I hope so, and if so, I hope they are working on a Roku channel, now.

I contacted them today asking this question; I'll let you (and everyone) know what I hear back.

mjpm

Mon May 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Now on Nowhere TV.
----------------------------
Cut the FIOS cord on 4/2/12.

thetick

Mon May 19, 2014 5:11 pm

mjpm wrote:
Now on Nowhere TV.

Very Cool! Great channel addition. Anyone know if the guide info is ever published?
I'll answer my own question in case anyone cares.

From the CAS FAQ CAS is all about the surprise.

"While we can’t tell you when an individual clip will play in any particular area, the element of surprise — not knowing exactly what’s coming up next — is part of what CAS is all about. '

There distribution contract is great see it below. You don't see any simple clear contracts like this anymore:
http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/cas/ ... cation.pdf
TheTick
Verizon FIOS

dennphill

Re: (FREE) CLASSIC ARTS SHOWCASE!

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:40 pm

ROKU user for the past year or so...and about ready to dump my COX Cable - really bad and very antagonistic to its customers. Have a ROKU 2 in the living room with the LG Smart TV (it's not, really!), and a new ROKU 3 in the bedroom where I generally go to sleep listening to CAS. Have missed Classic Arts Showcase since moving to Florida a few years ago, but VERY GLAD to find that NowhereTV is streaming CAS. Very glad. I go here whenever I am confronted with commercials or otherwise bored with the news and frequently I stay for a while. Good bits of opera, ballet, symphonic presentations, as well as some interesting old film bits and ...well...whatever. Thanks to the folks that fund CAS and offer it to local community stations and PBS stations. My problem was that in the Pensacola COX area, no PBS stations and no community stations would offer CAS - they could care less. COX obviously could care less. Nowhereman is now my 'bud' for providing this stream and I'm about ready to give him a little unsolicited gift for providing this feed. (Truth be told, he does mildly solicit contributions, but I'm so pleased I am glad to give him some little bit.) This little rant just for the record.