Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ClintLugert
Topic Author

Roku 3 creates wifi hotspot that conflicts w/my router

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:09 pm

// Hello,
I have a Roku 3 & found it to be a great product. It was working perfectly but then it started creating it's own wi-fi hotspot which consequently crashes my WiFi router every time we turn the Roku on. I thought it was conflicting with the NetGear router so I switched to an Apple Airport Extreme, but still have the same problem.

I've rebooted my Roku many times, I've tried the hard reset. I've done the same with the routers of course. No luck.

Is there anywhere to prevent this conflict?

• From what I read this 'Roku-Direct' hotspot is actually for the Roku itself to communicate with the remote.
  • This is not a thread about security, so let's not go down that road.
  • I found [url]http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=63101&p=407372&hilit=hotspot#p407372]this thread[/url] on the same topic but it is locked & I see no solution or fix within there.
Any help would be extremely welcome. If nothing can be solved, is there a type of recall or swap I can do on this unit?

reddice

Re: Roku 3 creates wifi hotspot that conflicts w/my router

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Are you running your Roku 3 wireless? I run mine wired and it uses channel 165 and my 5 Ghz Wifi Network uses channel 157.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

BradC

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm pretty sure this is normal. Mine does the same thing. it's kind of annoying, since it's on the same channel as whatever wifi it's connected to, so it's just like it's built in to conflict with it instead of built to pick a different channel or give you an option to pick manually.

If you change the channel on your wifi, the roku will change right along with it and conflict with the new one. :(

I solved it on mine by changing my wifi signal, then switching to a wired connection on the roku and switching my wifi back to 11.

SimpleMinded

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:52 pm

What happens if you have seven Roku 3's in your home? Seven new SSIDs competing for bandwidth?

theuser86

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 pm

If your house is big enough for 7 TVs and 7 Rokus, most of them should be far enough apart that they do not interfere with each other.

SimpleMinded

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:13 pm

theuser86 wrote:
If your house is big enough for 7 TVs and 7 Rokus, most of them should be far enough apart that they do not interfere with each other.

Is that a yes or an I don't know?

igleaner

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 pm

So if I understand this correctly, the WIFI hotspot conflict can be resolved by using a wired Ethernet connection?

Also, I plan on using a universal IR remote, and never activating the Roku remote. Will this also alleviate the problem?

RickRansom

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 am

igleaner wrote:
So if I understand this correctly, the WIFI hotspot conflict can be resolved by using a wired Ethernet connection?

Also, I plan on using a universal IR remote, and never activating the Roku remote. Will this also alleviate the problem?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65654#p420451
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

cbroughton

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:51 pm

I thought I was going crazy trying to diagnose my router until I realized my same issue started yesterday after setting up my new roku 3.

I cannot run Ethernet through my older home so rely on WiFi. My tl-wdr3600 router is on the second floor, roku 3 on the first, and wireless bridge for Xbox etc in the basement. The roku 3 sits in between the router and bridge and when powered on kills my bridges, and nexus 5's WiFi connection. This router and bridge worked perfectly before the roku was setup yesterday.

I have read all the threads and heard nothing from Roku, or found any solutions other than use wired. There is no option to disable roku's WiFi direct, and no way to unpair the remote. Using Ethernet is not a solution for a device that shouldn't be interfering with my signal in the first place.

Otherwise its a fine device and I know there are many people that use it without noticing interference. If your seeing WiFi issues don't fight it, you won't win, return it for another media player.

rpd22

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:21 am

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I have to unplug my roku 3 and take the batteries out of the remote for my wifi to work. Did you ever find a fix?

thank you,

rd

smokinbonz

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:31 pm

No fixes at all. It seems there are plenty of threads on the topic but many users seem to believe since its not their problem its not a problem at all. trouble is Roku themselves are no help at all zero and im not sure why they are so narrow minded. I frequently install roku and i am happy to say i have a great reason not to recommend them as this does cause unnessesary havoc. it is clear this is an issue yet the manufacturer denies this fact.

I have clients with many rokus. 15+ rokus 6 + rokus. Luckily many of them are older rokus and do not cause any issue. However I have a client with 20 rokus 5 of them now Roku 3's and i have seen issues beginning to occur. I dont know how to tell him to stop buying roku if he values his internet.

I simply wish Roku would stand up and adress the situation instead all I see is this topic over and over LOCKED. many people defending roku idk why. Is it too much to ask for a menu choice to disable it? Cmon I wish I was on the inside and could understand why this topic seems to have soo much opposition from Both roku and members

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:55 pm

smokinbonz wrote:
Is it too much to ask for a menu choice to disable it? Cmon I wish I was on the inside and could understand why this topic seems to have soo much opposition from Both roku and members

This request (to disable the WiFi direct) has been a feature request a few times in my weekly report. Roku does not discuss new features, as a rule.

Please do not cross-post topics. You were answered in your first thread.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan