Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

barryware

Re: Roku USB Channel becomes Roku Media Player

Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:20 pm

I kinda like the new (revised) channel..

One of my PC's is a Media Center PC set up with extenders. I have not tested, but the Roku saw the pc and the shared folders..

Might work?? We'll see.. Can't test now.. Still working on the "honey do" list and I am behind schedule :)

toadster

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Can you still add art to folders?

lion7718

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:20 pm

toadster wrote:
Can you still add art to folders?

Yes, all mine are still showing up.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

wbrells

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Just by luck I found the Roku Media Player channel, not realizing that DLNA support was just added! I was very happy when my Roku 2500 immediately found my miniDLNA server running on a Raspberry Pi computer. However, after (flawlessly) playing a music track for about 5 minutes I got an error saying that the connection to the server was lost. I then had to exit out of Media Player and restart it in order to re-establish a connection to the server. Thinking this might be a "fluke" I tried playing a different music track, but once again I got the "connection lost" error message after a few minutes! I often use this same miniDLNA server to play music for extended periods of time on my android smartphone, so I don't believe the problem is with my server. Also, my Roku box is only about 6 feet away from my wireless access point...

Has anyone else been seeing this sort of problem? Perhaps there is some sort of "bug" in Roku's first official support of DLNA streaming?

Many thanks, Wayne

beq

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:05 am

How does this compare to other, 3rd-party DLNA/UPnP players like Chaneru Rev2 (or Twonky when paired with the Twonky Beam mobile app)?

I'll keep Chaneru around for its features and flexibility (especially after I got a deal for it at $60+), but the new Roku Media Player might be a more user-friendly choice for family members, and it's direct from the company. Thanks Roku :)

BrotherAlwyn

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:17 am

Is this new "Roku Media Player" channel is beta or something? It doesn't seem to work correctly for DLNA. I have a lot of movies in "m4v" format using both the H.264 and MPEG-4 codec. If I plug in a UBS drive to the Roku 3 I can play them fine on this updated channel, but when I select me Seagate Central server over DLNA it will not show me any of the "m4v" movies! (they are the exact same files) The only file it finds is an old "mov" file (which is also encoded in MPEG-4 strangely enough).

Anyone get this to work correctly for movies?

jdmac29

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:23 am

BrotherAlwyn wrote:
Is this new "Roku Media Player" channel is beta or something? It doesn't seem to work correctly for DLNA. I have a lot of movies in "m4v" format using both the H.264 and MPEG-4 codec. If I plug in a UBS drive to the Roku 3 I can play them fine on this updated channel, but when I select me Seagate Central server over DLNA it will not show me any of the "m4v" movies! (they are the exact same files) The only file it finds is an old "mov" file (which is also encoded in MPEG-4 strangely enough).

Anyone get this to work correctly for movies?

I have the Seagate goflex home and I have my mp4's that pay fine on both my usb drive and through dlna on the go flex home. To me the media channel still has some bugs with dlna on other files I have on my pc that will play and others that will not.

BrotherAlwyn

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:23 am

Oh, never mind, seems like a bug in the Seagate Central. It is serving up all of my m4v video files as "Audio"... Now, how to fix THAT :(

wersus

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm

I tried it with my plex media server. It loaded video quite fast (faster than plex) and worked, until i tried to "fast forward" with >> button. I get "File Not Playable" -message and video stops. Same thing when using right arrow button.

The dman

Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:56 pm

This is great news and I hope they get the bugs sorted out soon

Schmye Bubbula

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Is it supposed to work on a Roku 1 XD|S? I don't see system requirements on its channel page (which shows "installed"). When I launched it, it wanted to do a software update, but after letting it do so, it doesn't have the new icon, it's still called "Roku USB Media Player," and it doesn't see my Plex Media Server. My channel info (Home 3x, Up 2x, L, R, L, R, L) lists it as v1.0 build 110128.
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

Mcygee

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:07 pm

2 Questions...

1. It seems PNG support for pictures is gone? Meaning no transparency for folder pictures anymore? Having transparency makes it easy to have nice pictures that blend in with whatever background there might be. Not the end of the world but it was nice to have.

2. Is there a way to HIDE folders? Because it doesn't search ahead of time it is faster but now I see the hidden system folders from Windows like System Volume Information and $Recycle Bin. Anyway to hide these from the Roku?

Thanks!

startreksteve

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:02 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Just a heads up: the Roku USB Channel has become the Roku Media Player channel, now with DLNA support ;)

Enjoy!

C. Shawn Smith

does this mean that my Roku will see my two Freenas servers?

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

analalan

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:03 am

I just stumbled on the new media player channel. I got the usb media player, even though I didnt have the right roku to use it, but even with a few hours of research I just dont get DLNA! What exactly do I need? Is it software I put on my windows machine which will put content from any HD over wi-fi to my roku or a specialized hardware server or both or what? Just what do I have to have at a minimum to get this going? Ive been trying a few new things lately, with an eye on future cable-cutting and hopefully this seems like another nail in their long overdue coffin!? Any simple, concise & understandable help from someone familiar with this process would be greatly appreciated, so...thanks in advance!? Its just not sinking in from google & apparently its so new that roku hasnt even updated their support yet!? Im not as stupid, nor as small as I appear in the mirror, but Im sure Im lacking compared to most of the denizens & regular posters of this or any forum!!

theuser86

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:12 am

You need a DLNA server running on your computer. Try Plex Media Server, or Serviio. The Roku Media Channel only supports certain formats so make sure you know what you're trying to stream (the supported formats is in their support section on their website)